Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900 Print Driver update & connecting to Network  (Read 3634 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Epson 4900 Print Driver update & connecting to Network
« on: November 11, 2014, 03:35:29 pm »

I was trying to connect my 4900 via Ethernet rather than USB because my printer has been moved and is now further away. The manual says I need to connect to my Network. I know nothing about networks, so this is driving me nuts. I thought I'd check to make sure I have the latest driver, which I didn't.  It was 8.64.  I then read that there was a special update for Yosemite (yes, I'm on a Mac).

I downloaded the update for Yosemite  and installed it.  In my printer control panel, the Driver version read v 8.64 (9.17) with the Yosemite update being 9.17.  Why it's in brackets I don't know.

But then I noticed that there was a further update, 9.33, which I downloaded and installed, but now the Driver Version has reverted back to simply 8.64.

Epson's site is no help. Can anyone here suggest how to get this to work?

Mike Guilbault

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson 4900 Print Driver update & connecting to Network
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 04:41:28 pm »

Indeed, this kind of stuff can drive one nuts. Probably the most efficient/effective approach would be to delete the printer from the computer, trash all the Epson software on your computer, then go to the Epson website and do a fresh download and install of the latest of everything they provide for Yosemite, and add the printer back to the computer.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 04:42:09 pm »

Oh - and then follow the instructions in the manual for connecting it to a network.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 09:43:32 pm »

Thanks Mark. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that, but I think you're right. I'll give it a go tomorrow when I'm back in the studio.
Mike Guilbault

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 08:52:39 am »

Ok... deleted the 4900 (my 9900 shows up and works fine), reinstalled the drivers. Went to Print Preferences to add back the 4900 and it doesn't even show up.
Mark... you mentioned to trash the existing Epson software. I'm hesitant because the 9900 is working fine and I don't want to lose it. I also can't find the old drivers to trash - or know which other Epson files to delete.
Mike Guilbault

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 10:47:14 am »

Ok... deleted the 4900 (my 9900 shows up and works fine), reinstalled the drivers. Went to Print Preferences to add back the 4900 and it doesn't even show up.
Mark... you mentioned to trash the existing Epson software. I'm hesitant because the 9900 is working fine and I don't want to lose it. I also can't find the old drivers to trash - or know which other Epson files to delete.

Mike, here is the advice I received from a very knowledgeable source who has been through all this in spades (won't name the person to protect the guilty):

<Epson-Apple driver fix hocus pocus which is to delete all instances of Epson printers from System Preferences>Print & Fax.

<Then go to /Library/Printers and toss the whole Epson folder.

<Toss LFP Remote Panel (IF you are using this utility for your printer).

<Then reinstall drivers.

<Then re-install LFP Remote Panel if you use it with this printer.>

I recommend for sake of surety, given your desire to protect the 9900, that you call Epson ProGraphics Support and ask for their confirmation of whether this procedure will meet all your requirements.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 10:49:34 am »

Oh - and since you are on a network he provided this additional comment:

<When you go back to Print & Fax to add the printer, on 10.6 I had to wait almost a minute before the IP version of the printer showed up, whereas the Bonjour one shows up right away. Then add the IP instance of the printer. This is for printers on a network.>

howardm

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 10:51:55 am »

If you've only ever used the USB interface on the 4900, there is an excellent chance that the ethernet interface is NOT enabled (that is the factory default state of my 3880) so you'd first have to dig into the 4900 manual and enable the interface.  After that happens, it should at least show up although you should really assign it a static IP address so it doesn't randomly disappear (due to a dynamic address reassignment) if you have a power outage or network glitch.

Yea, I recently did the v9.33 upgrade and I needed to delete my printer and re-add it to get the driver updated.

If you get jammed, PM me and we can chat by phone and I can probably walk you through the ethernet nonsense.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 10:27:39 pm »

I made the call to Epson Tech Services on Friday and very pleased to say that they were excellent in helping me out. The first guy talked me through the proper set up and connections. The only thing we couldn't verify is if the cable was at fault - so I went and purchased a new one, but it didn't work either - so the problem was elsewhere. On a call back, I spoke with a different guy, but he had all the info from the previous conversation. I did indeed have to uninstall/delete the Epson software and drivers, and then reinstall.  He talked me through it with ease and in a few minutes I was up and running again.

Usually, people only post problems with vendors. I've had them, with Epson as well as others, but thought I'd post a Thank You to Epson for their excellent service in this matter.
Mike Guilbault

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 07:54:45 am »

Hi Mike, glad it all worked out and your problem is solved. I have generally had good experience when I've needed to contact Epson's ProGraphics tech support and glad to see that can still work well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up