Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Delete to Trash from LR 5.6  (Read 6097 times)

pflower

Can't Delete to Trash from LR 5.6
« on: November 10, 2014, 03:41:07 pm »

There has been some discussion of this topic on the Adobe Forums but no one there seems to have an explanation let alone a solution, so wondering if anyone here has a better grasp of the situation.

Just started running LR 5.6 on an iMac with OSX 10.9.5.  I still have LR 4.4 running happily.  All my photos are on an external Firewire 800 drive.  The catalog is on the same drive.  On LR 4.4 there is no problem in moving files to the trash - just hit the delete key and click to confirm that I want to move the file to the Trash.  But on LR 5.6 the same operation results in the message that the photos are on a volume that does not support Trash.  There is then an option to permanently delete the photo which appears to work fine.  The disk in question is a straightforward external drive directly connected to the iMac (i.e not some species of shared network drive), all permissions for all accounts are "Read and Write" and LR 4.4 and all other programs have no problems moving files into the Trash - just LR 5.6 which refuses to do so.

Whilst I can still delete permanently from LR 5.6 the ability to move files into the Trash is something that is part of my workflow and very useful.

So can anyone throw any light on this?

thanks

francois

Re: Can't Delete to Trash from LR 5.6
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 07:12:23 am »

Is your external drive formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? What happens if you decide to ignore ownership (Get Info on the drive and check the box at the bottom left corner of the get info window). Usually, networked drive behave like yours... is your drive shared?
Francois

pflower

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 02:20:43 pm »

Yup.  Mac OS Extended.  I have never understood precisely what the "ignore ownership" check box refers to but the same problem arises whether it is checked (which was how I found it when I looked) and when it is unchecked.  It is not on a network, not shared (all the options under the Sharing System preference are unchecked) and the same problem persists if I disconnect completely from the internet.

It is clear from the Adobe forums that others have had the same problem. But I can't find an explanation let alone a solution.  The only potentially odd thing about the drive is that it may have been formatted originally under OSX 10.6.8 after which I upgraded the OS.  However I ran a repair disk routine from Disk Utility with no problems and have run DiskWarrior on the drive with no reported problems.

I don't like unexplained behaviour but as I said - no problems at all with LR 4.4 or any other program or the operating system itself.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks
Is your external drive formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? What happens if you decide to ignore ownership (Get Info on the drive and check the box at the bottom left corner of the get info window). Usually, networked drive behave like yours... is your drive shared?

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 10:00:32 pm »

I was seeing this yesterday.

You need to check the ownership on the drive. A lot depends on the actual folder that OS X uses for the Trash, and what permissions it has.

To get it to work for me, I need to:

1) Ensure "ignore ownership on this volume" was NOT checked
2) That my username (i.e. login name) was added as someone who could read and write to the volume (this wasn't the default).

Once I did that, trash from Lightroom worked. Note this isn't a Lightroom problem per se, LR is just calling an API to send something to the trash, and if permissions aren't right, that won't work and LR punts and just deletes things, rather than trying to fix them (which may not be possible to do).

crabby

• MICHAEL CRABB
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 08:24:22 am »

i have the same issue and have done all the things listed above to no avail.
I brought up this issue over a year ago here and Ario chimed in with this link which may help.

pflower

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 10:52:21 am »

Many thanks

It took a few goes to get this to work, but just at the moment things are now behaving as they should.

Thanks again

i have the same issue and have done all the things listed above to no avail.
I brought up this issue over a year ago here and Ario chimed in with this link which may help.

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 09:58:15 am »

This issue has been around for years. One thing that works, for a while, is: After you reboot, make a new folder on the drive and drag that to the trash. Empty the trash if you want. From then on until you reboot, you'll get the normal behavior in LR. But when you reboot, you have to do this again.

pflower

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 10:19:04 am »

Thanks

That does seem to work.  Simple but I have to say that after spending a very considerable amount of time googling this problem I didn't find this solution - so many thanks.

I have been using macs since 1987 and never come across this.  It is only with LR 5.6 that this surfaced.  I back up everything onto 4 separate hard disks.  The others work fine but I wanted to use the current (problematic) one so I went to the trouble of erasing and reformatting and then copying 2.5 TB of data back onto it.  Same problem.  Just having to trash a folder each time I reboot is not a major problem.

Thanks

This issue has been around for years. One thing that works, for a while, is: After you reboot, make a new folder on the drive and drag that to the trash. Empty the trash if you want. From then on until you reboot, you'll get the normal behavior in LR. But when you reboot, you have to do this again.

KarlGohl

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 11:09:40 pm »

I just had this problem occur with LR 5.7.  Tried some of the suggestions above without success.  Then I duplicated a random file on the disk (in Finder), right clicked the duplicate and chose Send to Trash (which succeeded), then when I selected some images in LR and deleted them, they went to the Trash OK.  May have just been a coincidence, but I'm reporting it in case it works for others.

francois

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 05:51:12 am »

I just had this problem occur with LR 5.7.  Tried some of the suggestions above without success.  Then I duplicated a random file on the disk (in Finder), right clicked the duplicate and chose Send to Trash (which succeeded), then when I selected some images in LR and deleted them, they went to the Trash OK.  May have just been a coincidence, but I'm reporting it in case it works for others.

I wonder what happens if one tries to use "Secure Empty Trash"?
Francois

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 11:06:44 pm »

I wonder what happens if one tries to use "Secure Empty Trash"?

It shouldn't affect this problem at all. The issue is in getting stuff into the trash at all from Lightroom. Once it's in there all is good.

There does seem to be something straight going on specifically with Lightroom. I've noticed that once I get stuff in the Trash on the non-boot volume, Lightroom works OK. But when I quit/restart Lightroom, it complains again that the trash isn't available.

There's something going on here: Finder works OK with trash on non-boot volumes and Lightroom does not reliably do so. I don't know where the fault lies, I just know there's an issue and Lightroom brings it to the fore. And it's not "fixable" because if you do temporarily fix it, the next time you fire up LR the problem is back  ???

francois

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 07:46:54 am »

It shouldn't affect this problem at all. The issue is in getting stuff into the trash at all from Lightroom. Once it's in there all is good.

Thanks for the info. I have yet to be affected…
Francois

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 10:41:51 am »

This has been AFAIK an LR ‘only’ issue for years. The ‘fix’ for me when it shows up is to delete an invisible file (folder) called .trash and all is well. Again, the only application that I’ve ever seen affected was LR.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up