Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A note of Caution to D810 users and Transcend 32 and 64GB cards  (Read 7935 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

I have used the Transcend 32GB card with no problems until I started using it with my Nikon D810.  
"Edit."  Both problem cards were compact flash.

A fellow photographer I work with has had similar issues with the 64GB cards, both cards are the 400MB speed.

Error, is that during a shoot, the camera will suddenly give the "err" message and no longer write to the card.  This seems to occur with no logic, and anywhere during a shoot.  When it does happen the camera will lock until you remove the card.  

This happened to me during a night shoot, where I was working 2 cameras 1/8 of a mile apart.  Stack sequence was 1' 10" and on my D810 the error happened on image 207 (400 can be written to a 32GB card).  I just happened to be standing by the D810 when the error happened and I noticed I had not heard the shutter drop in a bit.  On inspection, I had the "err" on the top LCD and the mirror was locked up.  I pulled the card and powered the D810 off.  The re-inserted the card and powered back on, and the camera saw the card and was ready to shoot on the next frame in order, all previous images were there.  However I did not trust this card, as if this happened when I was at the other camera, I would lose a ton of stacks.  

The 64GB card with my friend seems to fail the same way, but mainly during a series where he was using the camera in continuous mode.  Same issue when it fails.  

I checked around on the Nikon forums but did not see anything.  Both of my 32GB Transcend's are over 2 years old, the 64GB is 2 months old.  

I will still use the 32GB card when I am not working at night and thus can't monitor the camera 100% of the time, however this is just a heads up to other photographers who might have the same combination of camera and cards.

Paul
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:34:50 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

synn

• My fine art portfolio
Re: A note of Caution to D810 users and Transcend 32 and 64GB cards
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 08:12:36 am »

I gave up on transcend a long time ago. Never had a problem with Sandisk, except for a fake ones bought at an airport.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

alain

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 08:30:21 am »

I have used the Transcend 32GB card with no problems until I started using it with my Nikon D810. 

A fellow photographer I work with has had similar issues with the 64GB cards, both cards are the 400MB speed.

Error, is that during a shoot, the camera will suddenly give the "err" message and no longer write to the card.  This seems to occur with no logic, and anywhere during a shoot.  When it does happen the camera will lock until you remove the card. 

This happened to me during a night shoot, where I was working 2 cameras 1/8 of a mile apart.  Stack sequence was 1' 10" and on my D810 the error happened on image 207 (400 can be written to a 32GB card).  I just happened to be standing by the D810 when the error happened and I noticed I had not heard the shutter drop in a bit.  On inspection, I had the "err" on the top LCD and the mirror was locked up.  I pulled the card and powered the D810 off.  The re-inserted the card and powered back on, and the camera saw the card and was ready to shoot on the next frame in order, all previous images were there.  However I did not trust this card, as if this happened when I was at the other camera, I would lose a ton of stacks. 

The 64GB card with my friend seems to fail the same way, but mainly during a series where he was using the camera in continuous mode.  Same issue when it fails. 

I checked around on the Nikon forums but did not see anything.  Both of my 32GB Transcend's are over 2 years old, the 64GB is 2 months old. 

I will still use the 32GB card when I am not working at night and thus can't monitor the camera 100% of the time, however this is just a heads up to other photographers who might have the same combination of camera and cards.

Paul
Thanks, good to know.

I have two of them without any problems, but I'm not using a 810.

Osprey

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 09:12:49 am »

Same behavior on D7000 with a Transcend card. Has happened for many years. Sandisk and Maxell SD cards have been A-Ok.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 10:10:13 am »

Yes, I am moving over to all Scandisk, now.  I was just frigging lucky to be standing there when the card gave the error, or I would have lost most likely 30 minutes or so of work, a bust. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Some Guy

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 10:42:54 am »

Had same err issue with a Kingston card with a D800E.

Referred to the Owner's Manual and it specified what cards to use.  Kingston wasn't on the list.  Went and bought what was recommended and err issue went away.

I have had a couple of bad Sandisk CF cards though.  Issue was one wouldn't format, other failed to read.  They were new enough that Best Buy gave me new ones in exchange and they worked.

Very odd why some cards work and others don't.  Seems they fail early in their life if they do.

SG

Herbc

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm »

I also quit Transcend some years ago.  Sandisk have presented no problems

dwswager

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 07:09:22 pm »

Error, is that during a shoot, the camera will suddenly give the "err" message and no longer write to the card.  This seems to occur with no logic, and anywhere during a shoot.  When it does happen the camera will lock until you remove the card. 

This happened to me during a night shoot, where I was working 2 cameras 1/8 of a mile apart.  Stack sequence was 1' 10" and on my D810 the error happened on image 207 (400 can be written to a 32GB card).  I just happened to be standing by the D810 when the error happened and I noticed I had not heard the shutter drop in a bit.  On inspection, I had the "err" on the top LCD and the mirror was locked up.  I pulled the card and powered the D810 off.  The re-inserted the card and powered back on, and the camera saw the card and was ready to shoot on the next frame in order, all previous images were there.  However I did not trust this card, as if this happened when I was at the other camera, I would lose a ton of stacks. 

The 64GB card with my friend seems to fail the same way, but mainly during a series where he was using the camera in continuous mode.  Same issue when it fails. 

I checked around on the Nikon forums but did not see anything.  Both of my 32GB Transcend's are over 2 years old, the 64GB is 2 months old. 

Paul

With respect to SDHC cards, I use nothing but the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95Mb/s cards. 

There is a fundamental disadvantage with SD and SmartMedia (StupidMedia) before it.  With CompactFlash, the controller for the card is built into the card.  The device doesn't need to know anything about the card.  With these other standards, the controller is in the device and the device has to know about the card in advance.  So when card improvements are introduced, older devices can't take advantage of them.  And if the card is not implemented in the exact way the device is expecting, you get problems.

justbart

I bought three of the Kingston cards - and when I questioned Kingston about it they referred me to some obscure part of their website which said they didn't support the Nikons. They're called 'professional' for heavens sake!! I've got transcend cards and these work just fine - they are faster (by spec 1000x) and cheaper too...

Kingston won't replace them because they don't have ANY cf cards that can be used with the Nikons!!

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 02:36:42 pm »

I had Kingston and Transcend when I has Canon. When I moved to Nikon had to give them away.
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 02:43:42 pm »

Paul, I've used Lexar CF cards, 32GB, in both D800 and D810 with never a problem. I have SanDisk in my Leica's and never a problem. Maybe I'm lucky.

Colorado David

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 04:18:15 pm »

Does anyone have any experience with Sony sdhc cards? I just bought two 128 gig cards and so far they work just fine in the D810. I have one Mac that won't recognize them, but other than that, no problems.

figure1a

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 01:50:28 pm »

The Lexar Professional 2000x SDHC/SDXC UHS-II is worth looking at. Traditionally CF cards have always been faster than SD but not anymore. This card comes with a USB3 reader that will download the card to your computer about 3 times as fast as any CF card. Which is a big deal when you start filling up 32GB and 64GB memory cards. Good write up/comparison here.

dwswager

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 09:49:40 pm »

Does anyone have any experience with Sony sdhc cards? I just bought two 128 gig cards and so far they work just fine in the D810. I have one Mac that won't recognize them, but other than that, no problems.

Sony, Panasonic and Samsung branded cards tend to be very good.  As are the Verbatim cards.  I use Samsung Micro SD cards in my electronics, but continue with Lexar and Sandisk CF and SD cards in my cameras.

dwswager

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 09:51:15 pm »

The Lexar Professional 2000x SDHC/SDXC UHS-II is worth looking at. Traditionally CF cards have always been faster than SD but not anymore. This card comes with a USB3 reader that will download the card to your computer about 3 times as fast as any CF card. Which is a big deal when you start filling up 32GB and 64GB memory cards. Good write up/comparison here.

Don't believe there are any UHS-II capable DSLR cameras as of yet so it is a high performance card, in pedestrian devices.

tektrader

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 06:33:20 am »

Must only be a D810 issue. I use Transcend 16gb 32gb and 64gb CF cards with no issue at all on my D800. Another reason I wont upgrade. Thanks.

figure1a

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 12:06:29 am »

I agree. But the download to your computer is 3 times faster than any other CF or SD card. Very worth it when dealing with 32 and 64 GB cards. Especially multiple cards.

Some Guy

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 11:34:23 pm »

I had the "err" stuff on my D800E using Kingston CF cards.  They weren't listed in the "Recommend Cards" in the owners manual.  Took it back to Fry's and they traded me for one in the book and the "err went away.  Kingston said they were working on a fix for their CF cards shortly after that as they got a bunch of complaints.  Might be fixed by now.

I have had Sandisk CF cards fail too.  Usually they fail pretty quick (within minutes or hours) in formatting or writing.  Luckily I bought them at Best Buy and took them back there and the guy tossed them into a defective box under the counter and told me to go get another one.  I have one of their SD cards and it is acting up and I suspect the Lock switch lever is too loose and causing issues with it.  I can shake it into Lock or Unlock, maybe I'll just tape it or glue it into Unlock position only.

SG
Pages: [1]   Go Up