Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom to ACR  (Read 904 times)

huguito

Lightroom to ACR
« on: November 09, 2014, 05:19:21 pm »

I have been using Photoshop-Bridge-Camera Raw for a long time.
Recently I start learning lightroom, mostly because the print module, makes life much easier for me.

I feel much more confident editing my raw captures in ACR,I imagine all the controls are duplicated in ACR and the develop module.

My question to you guys is;

Can I jump between Lightroom and ACR without loosing edits?
If I have edited a raw capture in ACR, as long as the image was already in a lightroom catalog, and later open it in Lightroom will I see it edited?

I know in ACR the "done" button makes the edits stick as a sidecar to the image.
What's the comand that make the edits stick in lightroom?

I just feel in a more familiar environment working in ACR

Thanks a lot

Hugo

Denis de Gannes

Re: Lightroom to ACR
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 08:33:32 pm »

Lightroom operates completely differently than ACR. Lightroom saves all the work you do automatically in the Catalog File not in .xmp sidecar files.
ACR cannot read the info from the Lightroom Catalog.
In addition to writing info to the Catalog Lightroom can also write info to .xmp files which ACR can utilize.
The link below to a tutorial will provide all the info you need on how the Lightroom Catalog functions and how you can interact with ACR in Photoshop.
 http://tv.adobe.com/watch/george-jardine-on-lightroom/the-lightroom-catalog/
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

eliedinur

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 03:15:47 am »

In addition to writing info to the Catalog Lightroom can also write info to .xmp files which ACR can utilize.
....and LR can read and apply info from xmp sidecars created by ACR, so after importing an ACR-edited image to LR select Photo>Read Metadata From File and the ACR edits will be applied to the image and simultaneously saved in LR's catalog.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 03:34:52 am »

Can I jump between Lightroom and ACR without loosing edits?
If I have edited a raw capture in ACR, as long as the image was already in a lightroom catalog, and later open it in Lightroom will I see it edited?

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/advanced-metadata-actions.html#synchronize_metadata_between_photos_in_the_catalog

instead of XMP you might want backup your original raw files as they were written by your camera, convert them to DNG and then use DNG instead of external .XMP files - makes it a little simpler filesystem-wise.

b2martin

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 08:11:51 am »

If you don't want to use Lightroom's database capability you can use it very similar to the way you use Camera RAW.  The Lightroom gurus consider this is a waste, but not everyone needs or wants a database of their photos.  I have used Camera RAW for many years, and don't need or want a database of my photos.  I do the following"

Set Lightroom to always write edits to xmp files.  You have to import the files into Lightroom's catalog in order to edit them, select to ADD them to the catalog.  Complete all you Lightroom edits, exports, prints, etc. and then in Lightroom's Library module select all photos and then under Photo select to Remove Photo from Lightroom Catalog.  You do not have to save edits in Lightroom because they are automatically written to the xmp file as you make the edits.  You images are still in the original location with the updated xmp file, so you can work on it with Camera RAW or reimport it to Lightroom for additional changes. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up