Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bridge (CC 2014) cache mystery.  (Read 3696 times)

Redcrown

Bridge (CC 2014) cache mystery.
« on: November 08, 2014, 02:45:48 pm »

While participating in a recent thread about Adobe Bridge speed in generating thumbnails and previews I did some testing and came up with a mystery I can't solve.

On my Photoshop CC 2014 installation, the Bridge preference to "Keep 100% previews in cache" appears to do nothing. Actually, it appears to do nothing most of the time, but it does something some of the time and at a randomness I can't explain.

In the root folder of the Bridge cache there are 4 subfolders named 256, 1024, data, and full. The "data" folder contains the actual database. I understand that, and see no issue there.

The "256" and "1024" folders contain jpeg thumbnails for the cached images, in sizes indicated by the folder name. Actually, the "256" folder contains small thumbs that are always 256 pixels on the long edge. The "1024" folder contains larger thumbs that are either 1024 pixels on the long edge OR equal to the size of your monitor's long edge. Which size depends on the "Generate Monitor-Size Previews" option in the Bridge Advanced Preferences. I understand that, and think it's been that way for a long time.

The mystery I have involves the "full" folder. On my system I have a root folder for images. It has almost 30,000 files in 400 sub-folders. In the Bridge Cache "256" and "1024" folders I see a clear one-to-one relationshop between the cache thumbs and the image files.

But in my Bridge cache "full" folder, I have only 10 sub-folders containing about 15 jpegs. Those jpegs are, in fact, full sized versions of their source image. But I can make no sense of why those 15 are there and thousands of others are not. In recent testing I've turned the "Keep 100% Previews" option on and off, purged and re-built caches for specific folders, and yet nothing new shows up in the "full" folder.

Also, I can't determine what the "full" jpegs are used for. My testing seems to confirm that the thumbnails and previews displayed by Bridge all come from the "256" or "1024" folders. I can't find any case where the jpegs in the "full" folder are used for anything.

Would appreciate others testing on their systems and offering any explanations. I have not tested on old versions yet (still have CC and CS6 installed), so I'm wondering if something changed with the release of CC 2014.

deejjjaaaa

Re: Bridge (CC 2014) cache mystery.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 08:14:42 pm »

Would appreciate others testing on their systems and offering any explanations.

google says : http://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/cache-bridge-cs4-cs5.html

tools -> cache -> build & export cache and your "FULL" folder will be full ... slow process though
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 08:22:45 pm by deejjjaaaa »

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 08:14:50 pm »

The FULL folder contains full-sized JPEGs of only the images which you have viewed at 100% in Bridge's Viewer window. If you haven't viewed an image at full size in that window, a full-sized JPEG is not generated.

Example: An image is in Bridge's Viewer window. Bridge is using the 1024-sized JPEG to show that image. When you click on the image in the Viewer, it enlarges the image to 100%. There is a delay as Bridge reads the data, converts & saves it to the FULL folder as a JPEG, and displays that JPEG. That is the full-sized image that is stored in Bridges FULL folder.

I hope this answers your question.

This underscores the need to keep Bridge's cache lean by frequently purging the cache. When you work on an image, save it and close it, Bridge will only update the cached image files if that folder is open and viewed in Bridge. Also, if you move files around in the Finder, the database can get corrupted. I delete my cache about four times per year and it keeps Bridge sprite and crash-free.
~ CB

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 08:24:13 pm »

This underscores the need to keep Bridge's cache lean by frequently purging the cache.
I keep all temp folders on ram drive... cleans every reboot, works way faster than any SSD, does not reduce SSD life

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 12:09:56 am »

Something of note on this subject, drag a copy of the Full size jpeg to your desktop and open in Photoshop. On my CS5 Bridge that Full sized jpeg is in sRGB with an embedded sRGB profile which adds about 2K to each preview.

This for anyone who ever wondered why Bridge's Main Preview color looks slightly off from ACR's 100% previews in some highly saturated colors like turquoise, intense yellows and oranges.

I always wondered why some folks complained in the past about Bridge's previews being generated in sRGB while not relaying how they could tell this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up