Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am just Gobsmacked by the A7s  (Read 7308 times)

Manoli

Re: Am just Gobsmacked by the A7s
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2014, 05:18:44 pm »

I'm not quite getting you. Are you saying that Roger says the stack on the three alpha 7 cameras are different? I would think Sony would have to make them the same so the same lenses will work at their best on all three.

Roger only lists the A7 and he A7r. No 's'. He originally listed the A7 series as between 3.5 - 4mm, IIRC. Only one of three options, (a) my memory fails me and I'm mistaken (b) his original measurement was incorrect probably due to the difficulties in accurate measurement or, least likely (c) Sony have possibly reduced the thickness.

Or are you saying that Roger's sensor stack measurements indicate that the glass that works on your Fuji should work on the alpha 7 cameras?

If the 2mm A7 measurement is correct, then that pretty much equates to the Fuji stack. The only difference left between the two cameras are the micro-lenses on the Sony. In my original testing, I found smearing in both FF and APS-C modes on the A7r. So my initial deduction is that, given there's still a perceptible degradation, it's less to do with the thickness of the sensor stack, as originally thought, more the micro-lenses.

M
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 05:21:13 pm by Manoli »

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2014, 05:23:05 pm »

If the 2mm A7 measurement is correct, then that pretty much equates to the Fuji stack. The only difference left between the two cameras are the micro-lenses on the Sony. In my original testing, I found smearing in both FF and APS-C modes on the A7r. So my initial deduction is that, given there's still a perceptible degradation, it's less to do with the thickness of the sensor stack, as originally thought, more the micro-lenses.

I see. I guess I have to stay in full experimental mode wrt smearing.

Jim

allegretto

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2014, 05:32:31 pm »

First - I am "Herman". Growing up in 50's America with my Dutch Grandfather's name taught me how to both fight and run...

Second - I am working on a project with M-glass and the A7s centrally and corners. When I'm done perhaps I can post the whole thing on Zenfolio and just have anyone who wants to come view/dnld an make up their own minds

Short form is that the A7s seems to do devastatingly well with M-glass. Blows away EF Zeiss with M-bones and even makes short work of a couple Zony AF's I got a hold of. Only the Schneider 50mm TS PC through M-bones can top the 50mm -cron corner to corner. The "Zony" is great centrally and can hold forth all day long... not so much in the corners as you will see

I was thinking of picking up an A7r and doing it again. Maybe it is just the pxl count as Jim says... I don't know and won't say much till I try. I know it's "been reviewed" so I don't want to appear to know what I do not. Just need some time to sus it all out

Manoli

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2014, 06:13:50 pm »

First - I am "Herman".

Well, it's good to meet you, Herman.

I, as my login ID says, am Manoli (much to the confusion of some). British born, educated, and of both Greek and Italian origins with a distinct pan-Southern European bent - combined with a penchant for levity. Like you, also experienced in the arts of both running and fighting, though not necessarily in equal proportion.

In the meantime, I will, as a courtesy, of course continue to address you as 'allegretto'.
If you do post your findings it'll be both interesting and appreciated.

M
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 08:04:18 pm by Manoli »

Valdo

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2014, 08:12:55 am »

Short form is that the A7s seems to do devastatingly well with M-glass. Blows away EF Zeiss with M-bones and even makes short work of a couple Zony AF's I got a hold of. Only the Schneider 50mm TS PC through M-bones can top the 50mm -cron corner to corner. The "Zony" is great centrally and can hold forth all day long... not so much in the corners as you will see

Hello Allegretto,
no experience with the Loxia's?
I read one review, but at the end it wasn't a review, more PR typing...

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2014, 03:22:46 pm »

Hi,

I have some interest in the Loxia lenses. Personally, I have decided to skip present day A7x, but it is quite probable I will jump on the train at next generation.

Diglloyd (Lloyd Chambers) has some reports on the 35 and 50 mm lenses and they are somewhat mixed. Essentially, he says that they have curved field and don't perform really at large apertures. My interpretation of his writing are that the 35/2.8 and the 55/1.8 "Zony" lenses are much better than Loxia at full aperture, at f/4 - f5.6 the Zeiss lenses catch up and can have quite pleasant rendition. He also say that mechanical feeling is much better on the Loxia.

Best regards
Erik

Hello Allegretto,

Erik Kaffehr

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2014, 03:49:19 pm »

... with a distinct pan-Southern European bent - combined with a penchant for levity...

So, that's what we have in common  ;)

allegretto

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2014, 09:52:57 pm »

Hello Allegretto,

No... none

The M-glass is really very complimentary of at least the A7s I hooked @ B&H. Stunning really with the Voigtlander VM/E which also allows some close focusing. It's like eating your cake and having it too.

So I'm not so sure what the Loxia will offer me. The Leica lenses are compact but very solid and not light. They balance very well physically on the Sony. MF is so easy on the A7x with that stellar EVF and two subsystems if you just can't see it perfectly.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up