Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: B+W CPF 67mm or 77mm  (Read 3195 times)

Nir_Hason

B+W CPF 67mm or 77mm
« on: November 07, 2014, 01:58:39 am »

Hi all,

I want to buy the B+W CPF Kaesemann :http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/10885-REG/B_W_66_045618_67mm_Kaeseman_Circular_Polarizing.html

Now I have two questions:
1. I can afford only one right now, I don't know what to buy...67mm that will fit my Canon 70-200 f4 IS and my new Sigma 35 1.4 art (didn't shot landscapes with this new glass yet - waiting for my Canon 6D), or 77mm that will fit only my Tokina 11-16 2.8 ATX II? I do use the Tokina for landscapes. Buy do you think that the 35 will be more useable for landscape shooting?

2. There is any diffrences between these two filters in terms of image quality?
- B+W 67mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer MRC Filter

- B+W 67mm Kaesemann XS-Pro Circular Polarizer MRC Nano Filter

Thank you in advanced (:

synn

• My fine art portfolio
Re: B+W CPF 67mm or 77mm
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 02:19:16 am »

Buy the 77, get step down rings for the other lenses.
Nano coated filters supposedly have higher microcontrast.

Happy shooting!
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

NancyP

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 11:05:10 am »

Note that your use of the CPL on the 11-16 will be in situations when there is not a lot of blue sky in your photos. CPLs can be used on UWA lenses but in situations where one is trying to eliminate reflections in leaves or water - rainy day forest shots, shots of forest streams, any situation where the sky is not the dominant element. Bits of sky peeking out between branches may get differential polarization in an UWA shot, but it won't be noticeable because it won't be continuous sky.

Nir_Hason

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 07:26:44 am »

Note that your use of the CPL on the 11-16 will be in situations when there is not a lot of blue sky in your photos. CPLs can be used on UWA lenses but in situations where one is trying to eliminate reflections in leaves or water - rainy day forest shots, shots of forest streams, any situation where the sky is not the dominant element. Bits of sky peeking out between branches may get differential polarization in an UWA shot, but it won't be noticeable because it won't be continuous sky.
Tnx for the advice!

Buy the 77, get step down rings for the other lenses.
Nano coated filters supposedly have higher microcontrast.

Happy shooting!
Tnx! I think that you meant Step Up ring, right? because I need to attach 77mm filter on 67mm lens. The ring and the filter mount on it won't get in the frame of the Sigma 35mm?

dwswager

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 10:09:12 pm »

Hi all,

I want to buy the B+W CPF Kaesemann :http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/10885-REG/B_W_66_045618_67mm_Kaeseman_Circular_Polarizing.html

Now I have two questions:
1. I can afford only one right now, I don't know what to buy...67mm that will fit my Canon 70-200 f4 IS and my new Sigma 35 1.4 art (didn't shot landscapes with this new glass yet - waiting for my Canon 6D), or 77mm that will fit only my Tokina 11-16 2.8 ATX II? I do use the Tokina for landscapes. Buy do you think that the 35 will be more useable for landscape shooting?

2. There is any diffrences between these two filters in terms of image quality?
- B+W 67mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer MRC Filter

- B+W 67mm Kaesemann XS-Pro Circular Polarizer MRC Nano Filter

Thank you in advanced (:

1. If you require polarization for all 3 lenses, then 77mm and use a step ring to put it on the 67mm filter threads.  I standardized on 77mm as my main Nikkors are all 77mm.  I use step rings to put 77mm CPL or ND on my primes that have 62mm threads.  I own a Nikon CPL in 72mm for the only DX format Nikkor I own.  If you don't think you need polarization for the 77mm threaded lens, it is much better to have the correct size, especially when dealing with screw or bayonet mount hoods.

2. I can't comment on the differences between the 2 different lines of B&W filters.  Check B&W's website for differences.  Doubt you will see much difference in real photos.  BTW, I like Nikon CPL filters better than the B&W I have, though I use B&W ND filters.

allegretto

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 10:10:22 am »

Tnx for the advice!
Tnx! I think that you meant Step Up ring, right? because I need to attach 77mm filter on 67mm lens. The ring and the filter mount on it won't get in the frame of the Sigma 35mm?

no good deed goes unpunished...

dwswager

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 08:59:12 pm »

no good deed goes unpunished...

LMBO!  After 30 years of photography, I still can't remember which is which only what I want to do.  I think in terms of "I want to put this big 77mm filter on this small 62mm lens" so I figure I need a Step Down Ring, but I'm pretty sure it is viewed from the perspective of the lens thread so I really need a Step Up Ring!

Ligament

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 10:32:39 pm »

May I suggest you instead buy a 105mm B+W Kaessmann CPL with a set of step down filters, or better yet the lee filter holder system? This way you have one polarizer that will work with 99% of all the lenses you may use in the future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up