Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 7D2 - Image and Review  (Read 14012 times)

Glenn Bartley

• Glenn Bartley Nature Photography
7D2 - Image and Review
« on: November 05, 2014, 09:28:19 pm »

Shot with the new Canon 7D Mark II.

My review of the new camera is now available. Check it out!

http://www.glennbartley.com/Canon7DmarkIISetupReviewandSettings.html

allegretto

Re: 7D2 - Image and Review
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 10:30:17 pm »

Beautiful

Have you used a 6D?

I have one and love some of my EF-glass but the addition of an A7s to the stable is making me consider a 7D II as a complementary body with a different strong suit.

The A7s is an amazing body... but I still like the Canon color palette more than the Sony. In certain situations I may like one or the other.

Great camera, thanks for sharing

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 09:04:06 am »

Thanks for review Glenn.  It closely matches my findings.  I've been shooting mostly Nikon FX, so I'm going to have to reacquaint myself with noise reduction techniques.  What I have noted so far is that the same subject, shot with the same lens with the 7DII and the 5DIII results in nearly identical results after downsizing the 7DII shot to match the 5DIII.  That would make the 7DII noise perhaps just over a stop worse than the 5DIII (at ISO 1600).
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 10:46:32 am »

Interesting, Glenn. I have been waiting to upgrade my birding camera from the 60D to the mythical unicorn 7D2 for a while - no doubt I will have a shock on encountering a focusing system that does more than center-point AI Servo at a single sensitivity. I too am a focal length limited shooter, having a 400mm f/5.6L, and will look forward to the rather dim combo of 400 f/5.6 plus 1.4x TCII actually AFing. I will have to rent a Big White someday, if only to experience the weight and the image stabilization.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 05:59:50 pm »

my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

LKaven

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 07:35:49 pm »

DxO in their just-released test, rates the DR of the 7D2 at base ISO at about 11.5 stops.  By comparison, the Nikon D5300 rates nearly 14.  Where the 7D2 seems to excel is in high ISO response, which appears to indeed make it an apt camera for birding.

NancyP

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 08:29:12 pm »

Thanks, synn. I have been awaiting some reviews of the 150-600 sport.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 04:23:54 pm »

Thanks, synn. I have been awaiting some reviews of the 150-600 sport.

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/11/09/sigma-150-600mm-f5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-sports-lens-review.aspx/

This just in. Tested on a nikon, but should give you a good idea of what the lens is capable of.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 11:02:53 pm »

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/11/09/sigma-150-600mm-f5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-sports-lens-review.aspx/

This just in. Tested on a nikon, but should give you a good idea of what the lens is capable of.

Interesting, while Bernard keeps extolling the virtues of the D810, ignoring the strength of the Canon 7D II for wildlife photography, with its excellent high ISO capability, peerless AF + high FPS, the reviewer of this Sigma lens (on Nikon's behalf, mind you) says,

"10) This lens is a natural fit for the D4s. The lack of wide apertures plus the focal lengths mean that you will likely be shooting with higher ISOs than the D810 can comfortably offer, in my experience, unless you have the best light or slowest subjects. Plus when shooting mobile subjects at such long lengths, a higher frame rate is extremely useful."

All of which are strengths of the 7D II, which pretty much either matches or eclipses the D4 in these areas too ... for 1/3rd the price ...

Jack
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 11:08:19 pm by John Koerner »

allegretto

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 11:56:38 pm »

Jack, I do agree the endless dialog about DR in Canon vs. Nikon and therefore all matters are settled Nikon wins, is a somewhat over the top. So I AM with you

And I agree that at ISO 3200 the 7DII and 810 are neck and neck on DR so would agree that the 7DII with it's superior focus speed and fps (+/- on the crop sensor, depends on what you like) makes it very attractive.

But respectfully the argument spits the bit against the D4. The D4 was MADE for this. DR is a good ~1.5 stops deeper. D4s holds on even longer. The D-series is just too good at this

Of course we are back to the never-ending DR issue again and how much it really matters to a finished and pleasing product. But I fear that will never be completely resolved for people as myself who look at the camera-image as a complex continuum, not just a specification no matter how honest its derivation may be as in this case.

Cheers

Interesting, while Bernard keeps extolling the virtues of the D810, ignoring the strength of the Canon 7D II for wildlife photography, with its excellent high ISO capability, peerless AF + high FPS, the reviewer of this Sigma lens (on Nikon's behalf, mind you) says,

"10) This lens is a natural fit for the D4s. The lack of wide apertures plus the focal lengths mean that you will likely be shooting with higher ISOs than the D810 can comfortably offer, in my experience, unless you have the best light or slowest subjects. Plus when shooting mobile subjects at such long lengths, a higher frame rate is extremely useful."

All of which are strengths of the 7D II, which pretty much either matches or eclipses the D4 in these areas too ... for 1/3rd the price ...

Jack

John Koerner

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 12:30:31 am »

Jack, I do agree the endless dialog about DR in Canon vs. Nikon and therefore all matters are settled Nikon wins, is a somewhat over the top. So I AM with you

And I agree that at ISO 3200 the 7DII and 810 are neck and neck on DR so would agree that the 7DII with it's superior focus speed and fps (+/- on the crop sensor, depends on what you like) makes it very attractive.

But respectfully the argument spits the bit against the D4. The D4 was MADE for this. DR is a good ~1.5 stops deeper. D4s holds on even longer. The D-series is just too good at this

Of course we are back to the never-ending DR issue again and how much it really matters to a finished and pleasing product. But I fear that will never be completely resolved for people as myself who look at the camera-image as a complex continuum, not just a specification no matter how honest its derivation may be as in this case.

Cheers

Point well made on the ISO and the DR of the D4 for action shots.

However, the Canon does match the D4 in FPS, beats it in AF technology, and is only 1/3rd the price.

I would hope the D4 was still better in some respects to justify the price :)

Cheers back

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 12:38:20 am »

Jack,

Sorry, no intention to enter another one of your pissing contests. I have never commented negatively on the strengths of the 7DII for wildlife photography.

Why don't you just show us images captured with your 7DII?

Cheers,
Bernard

allegretto

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 12:47:52 am »

Went back and looked.... even my lowly 6D slaps the 810 around above ISO 800

But it "only" has a few focus points and "slow" fps so it CAN'T be very good, n'est-ce pas?

Couldn't possibly use it for birding...  ;D

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 12:50:20 am »

Point well made on the ISO and the DR of the D4 for action shots.

However, the Canon does match the D4 in FPS, beats it in AF technology, and is only 1/3rd the price.

I would hope the D4 was still better in some respects to justify the price :)

Cheers back

I own a D4, a D800E and a 7DII.  I can tell you from significant experience shooting birds in flight that I would choose a D4 over the 7DII.  The 7DII is darn good, but it simply is not in the same class as the D4, never mind a D4s.  I'm not even clear on what point you are trying to make, but whatever it is, it is based on some seriously flawed premises.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

John Koerner

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 01:20:40 am »

I own a D4, a D800E and a 7DII.  I can tell you from significant experience shooting birds in flight that I would choose a D4 over the 7DII.  The 7DII is darn good, but it simply is not in the same class as the D4, never mind a D4s.  I'm not even clear on what point you are trying to make, but whatever it is, it is based on some seriously flawed premises.

What would you choose for a bird in flight between the D800E and the 7DII?

That was pretty much my point.

Thanks for the insight.

allegretto

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 01:21:44 am »

Owned an used a D4 and 7100 a lot until about a year ago. The D4 was simply amazing at high ISO/low light and/or action. Focus was "right now", could use shutter speeds the 7100 couldn't hope to match

Perhaps the 1Dx can rival the D4, never used one but great Pros certainly do so I'm sure it's no slouch when you get to the "get the shot or not..." situations

John Koerner

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 01:26:35 am »

Perhaps the 1Dx can rival the D4, never used one but great Pros certainly do so I'm sure it's no slouch when you get to the "get the shot or not..." situations

The 1Dx trumps the D4.

Even Photoshop guru, Scott Kelby, made the switch.

Comparable color depth & high ISO scores, with far better ergonomics/functionality, faster FPS, etc.

Of course the 7DII isn't quite the workhorse of these cameras, but the fact it can be mentioned in the same sentence now (specs-wise), for 1/3rd the price, is saying something about its versatility without breaking the bank.

Jack
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 01:29:28 am by John Koerner »

LKaven

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 01:32:53 am »

The 1Dx trumps the D4.

Even Photoshop guru, Scott Kelby, made the switch.

Comparable color depth & high ISO scores, with far better ergonomics/functionality, faster FPS, etc.

I'm sure the 1Dx is a great camera.  But under ISO 1000, I'll take the D4. 

I'm suspicious about Kelby as an endorsement.  Isn't he compensated?

John Koerner

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 01:38:52 am »

I'm sure the 1Dx is a great camera.  But under ISO 1000, I'll take the D4.  

Most fast-action, espec low light, is over 1000 ... where the 1Dx leaves the D4 behind ...

I'm suspicious about Kelby as an endorsement.  Isn't he compensated?

Claims not to be. Claims he's been a longtime, hardcore Nikon user and proponent.

Claims Canon gave him a 1Dx to try out for action sports ... and, after experiencing the superior ergonomics, the ability to rapidly go through images and tag the best ones with the dial (a much faster capability then the Nikon), getting an extra 4FPS, and better skin tones tipped him over to Canon.

Jack

allegretto

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 01:51:30 am »

better skin tones tipped him over to Canon.

Jack

Again, I have no dog in the 1Dx/D4 debate, but THIS is one of the two reasons  I left Nikon. Their color palette makes my eyes hurt.

Just my bias, not everyone would agree I suspect. That's why they come in different flavors...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up