Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Repair or best replacement for Nikon Super Coolscan 4000  (Read 7175 times)

DanPatrick

Repair or best replacement for Nikon Super Coolscan 4000
« on: November 04, 2014, 07:52:55 pm »

I have a Nikon Coolscan 4000, which has been repaired twice by Nikon in the past ($2-300 a pop, as I recall).  They don't service them anymore.  I might have that scsii problem, I don't know.  The thing seems to work normally until it's hooked up to a computer, then just blinks, never goes all the way on.  And neither VueScan nor the computer sees it.  They did in February, but no longer.

I desperately need the use of a scanner for my work.  I'm on the west side of Los Angeles.  Anyone know how or where I might get it repaired?  If that's impossible, best recommendations for a high-quality replacement?  Ones, I might add, that don't require opening a new loan on my house?

Desperately, Dan

Windows 7 Pro system

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Repair or best replacement for Nikon Super Coolscan 4000
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 07:57:55 pm »

Is there anything you changed in your computing environment between the last time it worked and now?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

dpirazzi

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 08:03:44 pm »

Dan, did you contact Alex Ketzner? See last post in your previous Coolscan thread.

DanPatrick

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 08:54:25 pm »

Darned if I ever saw that.  How would I locate it?  Nothing by searching  Alex Ketzner, Nikon, scanner or 4000.  And to the other reply, nothing in my system has changed since the thing worked in February.  Dan

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 09:28:47 pm »

Dan, I don't understand what you are up to. You started another thread on this subject last week. You were given advice and an email address. I just did a search for Alex and a thread on how to reach him came up on DPReview. It's right here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51217601. You asked for suggestions about other scanners that won't break the bank: you can try a Plustek 8200i here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/883631-REG/Plustek_783064365338_OpticFilm_8200i_Ai_Film.html/c/product/#inpage:IN+STOCK?gclid=CKLS9Yu04sECFYdzMgod9woAgg. You can try an Epson V750 (or the not yet reviewed new 850V, here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1083201-REG/epson_b11b224201_perfection_v850_pro_scanner.html. These are the front-runner brands at least on this continent these days in new product that's under 1000, and they'll get the job done.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

DanPatrick

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 12:32:41 am »

The truth is that for some reason I was not able to sign in to the Forum after that until I re-registered or something.  I couldn't get back to that thread - and frankly, have never found it again.  That's why I started over - after re-registering.  I've still never seen anything from Alex on this Forum.  Anyway, thank you for your message.  I wonder how the mentioned scanners compare with my Coolscan 4000 for doing 35mm slides and negs?  I'll now follow up on the sent links.  As I said, I'm desperate.  Dan

Dan, I don't understand what you are up to. You started another thread on this subject last week. You were given advice and an email address. I just did a search for Alex and a thread on how to reach him came up on DPReview. It's right here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51217601. You asked for suggestions about other scanners that won't break the bank: you can try a Plustek 8200i here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/883631-REG/Plustek_783064365338_OpticFilm_8200i_Ai_Film.html/c/product/#inpage:IN+STOCK?gclid=CKLS9Yu04sECFYdzMgod9woAgg. You can try an Epson V750 (or the not yet reviewed new 850V, here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1083201-REG/epson_b11b224201_perfection_v850_pro_scanner.html. These are the front-runner brands at least on this continent these days in new product that's under 1000, and they'll get the job done.

dpirazzi

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 01:35:45 pm »

Dan, here is the response from the other thread, suggest you email Alex to request a quote to fix your 4000.

Could be a bad firewire cable, or bad firewire port on the computer - these can be checked by trying the scanner on a different computer or buying a new cable. Do you have any other firewire devices and does your computer recognize them?

My Coolscan 4000 stopped being recognized after I loaned it to a friend to scan some slides. It behaved just like you describe.
After much searching I sent it to Alex Ketzner, he cleaned the mirror and lens, and tested the scanner and verified the firewire port was not functioning. He then replaced the mainboard (where the firewire i/f is) and sent it back to me, works like new. Actually better since the mirror and lens were dirty.

My cost was ~$500. He fixes alot of these old Nikon Scanners and said this has become a very common repair as of late. Out of caution, I replaced my firewire card and cable, and don't lend out my scanner anymore...

This was about a year ago, his email address is abstudios@centurytel.net.

DanPatrick

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 05:05:09 pm »

Thanks very much.  Hadn't seen this - as explained above, couldn't get back to the thread - but I've now emailed Alex at two addresses (no response) and tried to call him (number disconnected).  And when I searched the Net, there was something about a split-up with his business partner/wife(?).  Still stymied unless he gets back to me.  He sounds like the person to help if he's still doing it.  Dan

Jonathan Ratzlaff

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 01:10:20 am »

this was pretty hard. first link in google.
Re: Nikon Coolscan LS 4000 Cleaning/Servicing
In reply to jbenton11, 3 months ago
Alex just completed repairing another Nikon Scanner for me and I highly recommend him also!

But he informed me that he is closed for September as he relocates to FL to help his aging parents.

I thought you guys might like his new contact info.

His new email is:

abstudios@live.com

Best wishes to him and his family.

I/we need his ongoing expertise and excellent services to keep our Nikon scanners running smoothly

DanPatrick

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 01:32:17 am »

Yes, tried to contact him at that last address on November 4.  It didn't kick back, but no reply.  Do you have any other way of contacting him now?  Dan

rabbitbug

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 05:57:48 am »

Yes, tried to contact him at that last address on November 4.  It didn't kick back, but no reply.  Do you have any other way of contacting him now?  Dan

Hi Dan,

How is the status of your coolscan?
Pages: [1]   Go Up