Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Print Trimmers - how good are "Fake Rotatrims"  (Read 6498 times)

Dan Wells

Print Trimmers - how good are "Fake Rotatrims"
« on: November 04, 2014, 06:57:42 pm »

After installing a brand-new 24" printer, I find myself in need of a 24" print trimmer - I had forgotten that aspect of life with rolls after a few years of only having a 3880!

The tried and true solution is, of course, the Rotatrim Mastercut (a $300 print trimmer!). Rotatrim also makes a Professional Monorail trimmer that is about $85 less than the Mastercut, which might be enough for an individual photographer printing big?

There are also Dahle and Carl clones of the Rotatrim Monorail, but they're not much cheaper (I had hoped one might be a dual-rail, but they're not). I'd probably go with the Monorail unless someone has a reason to prefer the competition. They're a bit wider, but why would I need a trimmer somewhat wider than my printer (and the next size down is, annoyingly, a bit NARROWER than the printer)?

There is a Carl (the DC-250) that is about another $70 cheaper ($161), and seems to be a different design - the rail and the trim guide seem to be integrated, and the rail is a tall rectangle, rather than round.

At PhotoPlus a few years ago, I saw a number of Chinese trimmers in the $75-$100 range, most of which looked like Rotatrim Monorail clones - at least one booth had a Mastercut clone under $150 in 24". Are the Chinese clones worth considering, and does anyone know where to get one if they are? B+H doesn't seem to have them

Does anyone have experience with any of these contraptions? My inclination is to go with the Monorail unless someone can point me to a cheaper version that works as well.

Dan

jferrari

Re: Print Trimmers - how good are "Fake Rotatrims"
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 07:58:29 pm »

but why would I need a trimmer somewhat wider than my printer

So that you can trim 24" by 36" prints and panos. Rotatrim 36" Proffessional Master Cut II used on eBay for less than $300. Buy once, cry once.    - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

Stephen G

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 11:38:33 pm »

I used to work in a digital copy-shop environment about 8-9 years ago. We had the Rotatrim Mastercut and a few Dahle cutters. We were pretty uncaring and abusive of our equipment (too many different users of the equipment) but the Dahles held up to it all. They stayed sharp and could always be relied upon, unless some fool ran the blade over some staples.

The Rotatrim couldn't take it. Got blunt fast, the blade wandered, the cutting head got stuck often and in the end it was only used if someone else got to the Dahles first.

The difference between the two brands is probably not that much in your context. I doubt you'd throw as much abuse at your gear as we did. I just remember Dahle=works, Rotatrim=doesn't work so I recently bought a Dahle 558 for my little print environment. Couldn't be happier: it sails through thick paper and even heavy canvas.

artobest

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 05:57:32 am »

+1 for the Dahle. They are the business. No experience of their rotary trimmers, but I have a Dahle guillotine here in the studio and love it.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 10:50:36 am »

The Rotatrim products are certainly great. But, with a new 24" printer - perhaps the 7900 since you had a 3880 before - the cost of the trimmer is about 3 ink cartridges. And, the savings from buying a "knock-off" might be 1 or 2 cartridges. Hmmm....

Then there's the option of getting a self-healing cutting mat, a really good straight edge, and a very sharp cutter. You'll save money and have more flexibility - although accurate cutting with this sort of setup does require some practice.

Jglaser757

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 12:08:24 pm »

I just researching this stuff right now,,but what about just getting a mat cutter like this

https://www.aswexpress.com/wholesale/frames-and-matting/mat-and-paper-cutters/logan/750-1.html

leuallen

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 01:38:14 pm »

https://www.aswexpress.com/wholesale/frames-and-matting/mat-and-paper-cutters/logan/750-1.html

No go for inkjet paper. The cutter scuffs the paper as it is dragged over to make the cut. You could always cut using the backside but that is not always practical.

Larry

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 01:57:50 pm »

I have a 30" Rotatrim I use everyday and with no maintenance in that time still cuts as good as new. I also have a 50" Foster rotary trimmer that's pretty good, but it's no Rotatrim.
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

Garnick

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 02:29:56 pm »

Hi Dan,

Having absolutely no experience with Dahle cutters, I am nevertheless prepared to accept the word of others here that they do indeed produce a great product.  However, having had many many years of experience with three different sizes of Rotatrim dual rail cutters I can definitely attest to the the fact that they produce an excellent product.  My first Rotatrim(15") was purchased in 1975 and is still in use every day at my lab.  I sometimes wish I had installed a "cutometer" when I started using it, as I'm sure it has seen a million cuts or more since it was first put into production.  And as mentioned, it is still used daily.  I also have a newer version which I use for more demanding work occasionally, although the original suffices for most of my trimming needs on a daily basis.  The "self sharpening blade" has certainly lived up to its name.  It has never been sharpened any other way and can still trim a 1/32" strip from an edge when necessary.  I will admit that the newer version is slightly more sturdy in some respects, but of course a newer version of me would reap the same benefits I'm sure.  Since I have never been one to abuse any piece of equipment perhaps that's the reason for the longevity of the 1975 version.  I've always found that a generous helping of TLC usually goes a long way toward maintaining any piece of equipment and I imagine most would agree.  As far as the Dahle trimmers, perhaps they are indeed more capable of handling such abuse, but that has never been an issue for my trimmers.  All of this to say that no matter which way you decide to go, I'm sure both products will suit your purpose very well.  I would however stay far away from the "knockoff" version, money well wasted in my opinion.

Gary         
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 04:40:39 pm »

I just researching this stuff right now,,but what about just getting a mat cutter like this

No go for inkjet paper. The cutter scuffs the paper as it is dragged over to make the cut. You could always cut using the backside but that is not always practical.  

Larry

I have used this as a mat cutter for years and have had no problems.  For the last two months I've been using it to trim prints with no problem, but I always cover the print with a piece of CAD paper while cutting - no scuffing. You do have to replace the blade periodically.  The blades are cheap on eBay, but if you don't have a need to cut mats then I would go with something else that doesn't require blade replacement.  Also, use a large square to square up the guide as the little metal aligning tool provided just doesn't cut it. npi
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 12:57:33 pm by pcgpcg »

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 11:47:39 am »

I love this kind of topic as it’s ~ equivalent of oil topics on car forums.

From the dept. of fwiw, look into a used Rotatrim if cost is an issue. I have a 48” (iirc) Rotatrim that I found by using Google advanced search for Craig’s list. The trimmer cost about $200 including shipping.

artobest

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 08:58:21 am »

One other option, if space and cost are issues, is to try an Olfa hand-held rotary trimmer. I have the larger, 60mm one here in the studio and use it occasionally for longer cuts than my Dahle guillotine will manage. Blades do need to be periodically replaced, and care taken that your straight edge doesn't slip, but, handled properly, it gives a much cleaner cut than even the sharpest knife.

Jglaser757

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 07:45:40 pm »

One other option, if space and cost are issues, is to try an Olfa hand-held rotary trimmer. I have the larger, 60mm one here in the studio and use it occasionally for longer cuts than my Dahle guillotine will manage. Blades do need to be periodically replaced, and care taken that your straight edge doesn't slip, but, handled properly, it gives a much cleaner cut than even the sharpest knife.

Yeah that's what I was thinking to start. Getting a rotary cutter, large metal ruler with hand protection and a self healing mat.

AFairley

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 10:39:25 am »

Thanks for the tip about the Olfa

alain

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 04:58:41 pm »

Nice tip for those "long" cuts.  Does the 60mm make a difference against a 45mm blade?

artobest

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 09:28:41 am »

Does the 60mm make a difference against a 45mm blade?

I think there might be advantages and disadvantages. On the one hand, with a longer circumference, the blade should last longer. On the other hand, less of the blade rests against the ruler, so controlling the cutter may be more difficult (I surmise). I would recommend the chunkiest straight edge you can buy. Sometimes two passes are necessary, depending on the paper (these things are designed for fabric, which they cut phenomenally well).

Dan Wells

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 01:49:28 pm »

I have one hand that doesn't work as well as the other, so anything that doesn't hold the paper down or involves an external straightedge is a non-starter for me... Among the trimmers that have the critical paper-holding feature, I'm getting votes for both Rotatrim and Dahle, and no experiences (positive or negative) with Carl (which I think is closely related to Sanders of old-time darkroom fame)or other alternatives

brianrybolt

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 02:19:04 pm »

I have a 24 inch double rail Rotatrim that I've had for around 30+ years.  Brought it with me to England from the States.  It is still as good as the day I bought it.
Brian

Jglaser757

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 02:27:15 pm »

The real issue for me as a casual printer, if i am going to be cutting 44 inch paper, than I need a very very large cutter. Especially if I doing 40x60. So cost becomes a significant factor for me.

alain

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 07:02:29 pm »

I have one hand that doesn't work as well as the other, so anything that doesn't hold the paper down or involves an external straightedge is a non-starter for me... Among the trimmers that have the critical paper-holding feature, I'm getting votes for both Rotatrim and Dahle, and no experiences (positive or negative) with Carl (which I think is closely related to Sanders of old-time darkroom fame)or other alternatives

Hi, holding the paper down is not that good for large prints.  I have a Dahle and a -cheap- rotatrim and with both I use one hand to hold the paper down, especially when trimming larger (+40cm).  You could use a weight with some protection on the bottom side to keep the paper lined up.

For the -seldom- very long cuts when using a straightedge I like to have a second person helping me holding it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up