Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amazon Cloud storage  (Read 5319 times)

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Amazon Cloud storage
« on: November 04, 2014, 03:51:30 pm »

This morning, Amazon announced unlimited photo storage for Premiere members. I'm starting to try it, and the upload speeds are the fastest I've ever seen for a low-end service: around 30 Mb/s.

This seems too good to be true. The tools seem rudimentary, especially compared to Dropbox. I wonder if there are third party tools, like there are for S3 and Dropbox. Is anyone else using this? What do you think? Are there ways to get background backups, versioning, directory structure changes, and stuff like that?

A few details on my experiences here: http://www.kasson.com/bleeding_edge/?p=1094

Jim

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: Amazon Cloud storage
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 04:11:32 pm »

Here's a problem:

Wonder what's behind that?

Jim

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 08:04:01 pm »

Thanks Jim,

I had just come across that announcement minutes ago.

This sounds interesting!

Cheers,
Bernard

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 12:51:41 pm »

I wonder if this just refers to jpeg files and not anything bigger.  If you look at their pricing it seems reasonable and it's certainly cheaper than Mozy Home which I've been using for file backup.  Last week I switched to Amazon S3 for backup which is even cheaper.  However, upload speeds are on the slow side for me (Verizon FIOS and I typically get 20 MBS upload speed).

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 01:02:43 pm »

I wonder if this just refers to jpeg files and not anything bigger.  If you look at their pricing it seems reasonable and it's certainly cheaper than Mozy Home which I've been using for file backup.  Last week I switched to Amazon S3 for backup which is even cheaper.  However, upload speeds are on the slow side for me (Verizon FIOS and I typically get 20 MBS upload speed).

I use S3. This is a lot cheaper than S3 if you have a lot of data, even if you have to join Premier to get it. For me, it's even cheaper than Glacier. S3 is pretty slow on upload if you don't have a client that supports multiple simultaneous transfers. Security is not as good as S3.

20 MB/s (megabytes/sec) is really fast! Sure you don't mean 20 Mb/s (megabits/sec)?

I have been uploading psd, TIFF, and psb files successfully. The web interface doesn't support files larges than 2 GB for upload, but the PC app does. I did get an error with a file over 4 GB, however.

I sure wish it supported real backup apps like Goodsync )or, I guess, vice versa). Maybe there's one that works. I'm not sure how versioning can ever work otherwise. They do support a crude Dropbox like synch function, but it's limited to one directory, and you have to use regedit to move it off your C drive.

Jim

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 01:05:14 pm by Jim Kasson »

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 01:18:51 pm »

If it's juts for online backup there are other solution. I use Backblaze. Also unlimited, but nor as fast upload speed. But that's fine for me. I typically come back from a trip wiht 100-150GB and I can upload that in a few days.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 01:48:43 pm »

I use S3. This is a lot cheaper than S3 if you have a lot of data, even if you have to join Premier to get it. For me, it's even cheaper than Glacier. S3 is pretty slow on upload if you don't have a client that supports multiple simultaneous transfers. Security is not as good as S3.

20 MB/s (megabytes/sec) is really fast! Sure you don't mean 20 Mb/s (megabits/sec)?

Jim
Yes, 20 Mb/s is correct! :D   S3 was slow when I did the initial back up but now it's just incremental stuff which goes fast.  I haven't done a big photo shoot yet to see what the upload time would be for lots of images.  Fortunately, I don't use PS as much as before, mostly LR so the only large upload is the catalog file.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 01:56:46 pm »

Yes, 20 Mb/s is correct! :D   S3 was slow when I did the initial back up but now it's just incremental stuff which goes fast.

so you mean 20mb/s "for the whole file" while in fact it was 2mb/s just for the increments ;), but the software reported as if the whole file was uploaded and showed naturally inflated statistics ?

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 03:13:30 pm »

so you mean 20mb/s "for the whole file" while in fact it was 2mb/s just for the increments ;), but the software reported as if the whole file was uploaded and showed naturally inflated statistics ?

Good point. I look at the firewall to get my stats:

However, if you look at the firewall, the upload app gets no credit for compression, block-level file updates, or data deduplication.

Jim

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 04:10:50 pm »

Good point. I look at the firewall to get my stats:
you have a whole datacenter there @ home, Jim...

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 03:06:24 am »

Check out the T&Cs. In DPReview's post about this it mentions it's for non-commercial use only.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4190001023/amazon-launches-prime-photos-with-unlimited-storage-for-prime-members

jrsforums

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 04:01:37 am »

I do not see anyway to sync changes, mods, or additions to the cloud image files.

Am I missing something or is this a needed feature?  (They had it until they told GoodReader to cease).
Edit.....I meant GoodSync
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:52:44 pm by jrsforums »
John

ned

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 09:32:43 am »

If it's juts for online backup there are other solution. I use Backblaze. Also unlimited, but nor as fast upload speed. But that's fine for me. I typically come back from a trip wiht 100-150GB and I can upload that in a few days.

+1. First cloud backup that I have been happy with.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 10:46:46 am »

I do not see anyway to sync changes, mods, or additions to the cloud image files.

Am I missing something or is this a needed feature?  (They had it until they told GoodReader to cease).

John,

I don't think you're missing anything. The more I work with it, the more I think it is a potentially very attractive service with some crippling flaws. I suspect that the flaws are intentional. There seems to be some kind of race amongst the cloud storage suppliers aiming for the mass market – Google, Dropbox, Microsoft, and Amazon, to name a few – to see who can offer the most storage. And, just like it's hard to compete with free, it's hard to compete with unlimited. But you don't want your customers actually loading terabytes of data and your cloud center, especially when you have moderate-to-quite-expensive services aimed at commercial users. So, it's a good plan to make sure that there are just enough limitations in your free service – and, since I was already an Amazon premier customer, this new feature is free, well, included, to me – to make sure that the high-volume uses go elsewhere.

That said, I find some of the things that Amazon does allow to be pretty amazing. For example, it supports TIFF and .psd files. In addition – and this really blows my mind – it supports .psb files.

I don't know the story behind Amazon's asking Goodsync, and apparently GoodReader, to not support the service, although if part of your marketing plan would limit the utility of the service, you'd want to make sure that third parties didn't put back the features that you deliberately left out.

Jim

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 05:08:34 pm »

Jim,

I wonder why they wouldn't support Goodsynch.   When you posted this the other day, I took a look at the software and it looks like a pretty decent package.  I've been using NovaBACKUP both to my home external drives and to Amazon S3 and it seems to work quite well (easy to automate).  Unfortunately, it doesn't mirror so you cannot automatically delete files that you have deleted from your PC.  this is somewhat problematic because of the proliferation of backed up Lightroom Catalogs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up