Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ND Filter/TiltShift/D800 image problem  (Read 1656 times)

timmystu

ND Filter/TiltShift/D800 image problem
« on: November 04, 2014, 12:26:21 am »

Hi All,

I have a problem in need of solving. The attached image was taken with a nikon D800, Nikon 24mm Tilt-Shift lens, and a B&W Neutral Density filter.

f11, 10 seconds, ISO 50, with about -4mm shift and the filter near it's darkest setting.

What's going on here? The camera was recently tuned-up by Nikon so I imagine the lens is to blame?

Thanks for helping!

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: ND Filter/TiltShift/D800 image problem
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 02:48:17 am »

Hi All,

I have a problem in need of solving. The attached image was taken with a nikon D800, Nikon 24mm Tilt-Shift lens, and a B&W Neutral Density filter.

f11, 10 seconds, ISO 50, with about -4mm shift and the filter near it's darkest setting.

What's going on here? The camera was recently tuned-up by Nikon so I imagine the lens is to blame?

Hi,

Have you tried the same (or similar with the same shift settings) image without the filter?
If that looks different, then it's caused by the filter.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

EricV

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 04:31:11 pm »

Is this a crossed-polarizer type of ND filter?  Did you shoot through a window, which might also have polarization effects?  This effect should be visible on the viewfinder, at least in live view, so you should be able to experiment a bit and figure out the cause.

Shakyphoto (Slim)

• Shakyphoto
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 07:43:21 pm »

Why don't you take a photo in a controlled environment indoors with the TSE in a similar position and different positions?
Wandering the World, Watching for Wonders
http://www.shakyphoto.com
http://www.fb.com/Shakyphoto

SanderKikkert

• flickr
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 05:44:13 am »

Why don't you take a photo in a controlled environment indoors with the TSE in a similar position and different positions?

+1 and also test without that variable ND, those are able to cause all sorts of unwanted polarization effects that mess up the quality of your shots, allthough you will not likely encounter that inside as there is little or no polarized light indoors.
When that test succeeds, test again outside with and w/o the variable ND.

Regards, Sander

Some Guy

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 03:44:45 pm »

Ditto on the variable density filter causing the problem if you were using one, even B+W.

Personally, I threw one of those away when it put a dark "X" on my image.  Something to do with linear polarization or something that causes it when it's max'ed out.  More bizarre is some minor focus shift I got in auto focus using the thing.  Don't know why it affected the AF but it did.

SG
Pages: [1]   Go Up