Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunset over the River Alde  (Read 717 times)

Miles Middlebrook

• 5% of Gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
Sunset over the River Alde
« on: November 03, 2014, 02:50:52 pm »

I already have a picture of this sunset over the boats moored on the River Alde on my website, but want to add another. However I don't want too many pictures of more or less the same thing, but I can't choose between these two, because they are both similar.

I would welcome anyone's opinion. Although basically the same shot the lighting and composition is different, but which is the better one ?

The boats are moored in the stream of the Alde Estuary, South Eastern England, not far from Ipswich.

Johnny_Johnson

Re: Sunset over the River Alde
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 03:01:21 pm »

I prefer the first. No contrails in the sky and the blown out reflection of the sun in the water isn't as obvious.

Later,
Johnny

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 11:52:03 pm »

Any preferences will be personal choices, not definitive answers.

That being said, my preference is also for the first one. I like the position of the sun pretty much behind the right-hand boat, and the direction of the long cloud echoes the different heights of the masts. And the hook at the right end of that cloud is reflected in the water, and between them they encourage my eye to stay with the boats.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

SanderKikkert

• flickr
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 08:49:02 am »

Also prefer #1, subjective as it may be: Eric has described very well why that preference is probably there.
Looking at the first one my eyes are drawn to the boats and stay focussed there, in the meanwhile still taking in scene as a whole , looking at the second one they wander across the frame more and 'merely' record all the elements portayed.
Cheers, Sander

Miles Middlebrook

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 05:48:53 pm »

Many thanks on the comments guys. I agree on the first picture. Although the sun was very nearly setting and there is less luminosity I think it is the better hot. On the second picture, which was shot a little earlier, I was getting a little ambitious shooting straight into the sun and suffered the abrupt digital blow out, which I agree, spoils it.

Just for reference I have attached the one which is already on the website. This was shot earlier still, but across the sun, and I think it is by far the best.

Regards,

Miles Middlebrook

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 12:02:29 pm »

I had some bracketed from that coped with the extreme highlights in the first picture, so blending that in has dealt with the blow out issue. In the second one the sun was much brighter, so I've had to cheat. Also removed the contrails.

Thoughts ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up