Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LG's new 4K monitor designed for photographers and filmmakers  (Read 11546 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: LG's new 4K monitor designed for photographers and filmmakers
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 07:11:04 pm »

Thanks.

Wow, super cheap compared to offerings from NEC and Eizo and available for purchase in 2 weeks.

I am looking for a second screen for thumbnail navigation and occasional 4K look preview.

I don't expect the same color quality as from the new NEC 32 inch 4K screen, but this may be the perfect solution to second my main NEC PA302W.

Cheers,
Bernard

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 11:31:00 pm »

"I don't expect the same color quality as from the new NEC 32 inch 4K screen, but this may be the perfect solution to second my main NEC PA302W."

I'm curious as to why you say that?  I'm not disputing as I haven't seen either monitor but LG has a great rep for TV and not much of a reach to make a great monitor that can be calibrated.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm searching for a larger monitor that I can calibrate and considering the NEC 32” MultiSync PA322UHD as well as the LG now that I've seen the specs on the link above.  The LG is half the price of the NEC, but like you, I have a bias toward the NEC but not sure why :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:44:14 pm by gdh »

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 01:24:00 am »

"I'm curious as to why you say that?  I'm not disputing as I haven't seen either monitor but LG has a great rep for TV and not much of a reach to make a great monitor that can be calibrated."

Unlike the high end Eizo CG and similar NEC monitors it doesn't have an onboard graphics card.  We also need to see how even the color and brightness is across the LG display. I have no doubt it is good, but how closely its goodness approaches greatness is the question.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 06:45:20 am »

FYI, my LG was delivered yesterday to replace my dying Dell 30 inch screen as second screen. I would have preferred the NEC, but can't justify the price difference for a second screen.

10.9.5 seems to support it without issues through a mini-port display cable at native resolution of 4096x2160.

First impression is good.

I'll go through the calibration process in the coming weeks, it is not critical for now as I use this screen mostly for selection/navigation purposes.

Cheers,
Bernard

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 11:13:32 am »

This 16:9 monitor can display over 99.5 percent of the Adobe RGB standard and offers 10-bit color depth supporting more than one billion colors.

When will this marketing nonsense cease? I don't know if the super-human at the end of 2001 a space odyssey evolved to see a billion colors <g>.

And yes, doubtful it's going to be close to the qualities of the NEC. ColorComp or similar? Full calibration done internally inside the panel? Software that provides multiple calibration targets and loads them on the fly? Instead we hear this BS about billions of colors. Let's get some actual spec's before we rush to suggesting it's even close to the qualities of the SpectraView. Oh, and the link to one of the pages for the spec's takes you nowhere. Bad link. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:23:54 am by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 07:19:29 pm »

Also:  http://diglloyd.com/blog/2014/20141120_1010-LG-4K-display-eval-cancel.html

Except it does work on the Mac Pro 2013 at its native resolution.

Cheers,
Bernard

jduncan

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 10:05:05 pm »

Except it does work on the Mac Pro 2013 at its native resolution.

Cheers,
Bernard

I believe LG is making some people nervous when the 34UM95 went to market some people review it and say it was not compatible with mac (the box has a picture of a mac pro on it).
If it calibrate properly it could be a good combination the 34UM95 for productivity and the 31MU97-B for pictures.

We will be waiting for your review :)
english is not my first language, an I k

chex

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 03:57:56 pm »

Also:  http://diglloyd.com/blog/2014/20141120_1010-LG-4K-display-eval-cancel.html

This is just ridiculous. His reasons for not reviewing it are exactly the same reasons why he *should* review it.

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 01:48:13 am »

FYI, my LG was delivered yesterday to replace my dying Dell 30 inch screen as second screen. I would have preferred the NEC, but can't justify the price difference for a second screen.
10.9.5 seems to support it without issues through a mini-port display cable at native resolution of 4096x2160.
First impression is good.
I'll go through the calibration process in the coming weeks, it is not critical for now as I use this screen mostly for selection/navigation purposes.
Cheers,
Bernard

So what do you think of it?

I have seen some LG OLED TVs next to Sony and others, and they blow them away (IMO).

Curious as to how you rate the monitor ... as it's half-off the comparable NEC.

Jack

Robert DeCandido PhD

• http://www.BirdingBob.com
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 07:22:05 am »

Here is a review - I did not write it...but found these comments on the web: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025007

Pros:

(a) Color reproduction is one of the most accurate I've seen on 4k
(b) Thin bezels!
(c) Extra wide panel is nice to have for editing
(d) Solid metal stand that isn't bulky
(e) A good response time and minimal ghosting for a 4k IPS panel
(f) Good contrast
(g) Perfect white levels

Cons:

(a) Some slight color shifting left to right
(b) There is some back light bleed. But unless you are looking at a black screen in the pitch dark, you won't notice it.
(c) Stand has no swivel
(d) A single button for using the monitor settings, does not work well
(e) Can only modify Kelvin in intervals of 500K... should be able to have much more granularity
(f) Included color correction software is bugged and unusable
(g) Very poor black levels, but this is common for IPS

Other Thoughts: I've been waiting for a good 4k monitor for years. Only now have we finally come into line with the combination of this monitor and recent updates to Windows 8.1. The LG 31MU97 is a solid monitor. But far from perfect. A little bit about my background: I work as a professional designer and programmer, and the CEO of a software development company. I spend most of my time designing UIs in the sRGB color spectrum, programming, or editing photography in Adobe RGB. I also spend a good amount of time on After Effects doing motion graphics. I do put these monitors through their paces up to 20 hours a day, and I like my screens to be flawless. I have used the Samsung UD970, the Dell 24" 4k, 32" 4k, and their 27" 5k. The iMac retina, non retina, and thunderbolt displays. All of the professional offerings from NEC and Eizo. PA328Q, Pro Arts, PBs, Acer's 4k, the TN based 4k panels. I've really used just about every 4k panel there is, and a huge amount of the great 1440p panels out there for professional use.

I'm the kind of person that will run a color calibration suite on 3 different calibrators 6 times each. I'm that OCD about my monitors

This one beats them all, but it's far from perfect. In my opinion, it's the best 4k monitor you can buy right now. I hope that changes, and some day we can enter monitor nirvana with the perfect monitor that does everything we want perfectly. But until that day, this will be my monitor of choice. The most disappointing part of this monitor is the slight color shifting on the left and right sides. It starts to get a little bit red. It can get frustrating at times. But until there is something better (all 4k monitors color shift a ton and this probably has the least of all, it's just very persistent) this is the one I will use for work that isn't super critical (I'll be sticking with my NEC PA272W for anything that needs to be exactly perfect, although I do love the 4k, until they get a little more accurate we will still need our good ol 1440p)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 07:26:29 am by Robert DeCandido PhD »

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 09:10:10 am »

Interesting and thanks for posting.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 02:33:06 pm »

This one beats them all, but it's far from perfect. In my opinion, it's the best 4k monitor you can buy right now. I hope that changes, and some day we can enter monitor nirvana with the perfect monitor that does everything we want perfectly.

Check out NEC PA322UHD - it's only UHD not 4K, but it's perfect and even better than PA272W.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

arobinson7547

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 10:02:06 pm »

Speaking of the NEC, the idea of no Hood ANYWHERE, kind of broke the deal for me. If you're a NEC 30" Hood user, it's almost impossible to go Hoodless.

They gave it a part number but it seems like that's as far as it went.

302 = tried and true, for now.

Oddly, B&H just raised the price of the 302 hood from $279 to  $323

Anyone ever notice the price spread of the NEC 21-24, 27 and 30" hoods

Maybe the 32" will be $600

Yea, I'd still buy it but I just want the pricesetters to know I am not blind. Three times the price from 27 to 30 inches?

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 05:59:20 pm »

NEC hood....1 sheet black foam core, a few strips of back duct tape....mine have lasted for years now with zero wear. 

Cost, about 5 bucks.

Mine are on an old 2690 and a PA271
Craig Lamson Photo

arobinson7547

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 10:38:18 pm »

Well, here we go... oct1; nov1; dec1; dec30

and now, Feb1 for the availability of the  NEC PA322UHD.

What good is a hood, when there's no monitor.

Craig, I know it 'works' just as well but, (and I have wanted to say this for a really long time)
The NEC PA301W is the most gorgeous and aesthetically pleasing Monitor I have ever laid eyes on.  All 360°
When she's wearing her hood, it's just the epitome of a Professional Display.

The $5,000 Barco CRTs with the BNCs running into the back. That was just an unmistakable look at the high end Service Bureau and Color Houses of yesteryear 
Pages: [1]   Go Up