Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lenses for Pentax 645z  (Read 16739 times)

tsjanik

Re: Lenses for Pentax 645z
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 09:20:55 pm »

That filter costs more than the vintage lens in question. Just get the real thing  ;D

Good point Nick: $400 filter + $8000 Leica lens = $125, 30-year-old Takumar.

Dshelly

• Darryl Shelly Photography
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 12:39:36 pm »

Don't know if this has been posted on this site, but there's a nice review on the 645z at this link:

http://blog.mingthein.com/2014/06/27/review-the-pentax-645z-part-i/

michaelbiondo

• http://michael@michaelbiondo.com
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2014, 09:54:17 pm »

Does anyone have any thoughts about the possibility of adapting a Hartblei 45mm f/3.5 Super-Rotator for the 645Z?
I hear about "crosstalk" with this sensor but I would love to know if anyone has actually tested this combo?
Could be very nice for architecture & landscape.
Thanks,
Michael

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2014, 08:48:20 am »

Does anyone have any thoughts about the possibility of adapting a Hartblei 45mm f/3.5 Super-Rotator for the 645Z?
I hear about "crosstalk" with this sensor but I would love to know if anyone has actually tested this combo?
Could be very nice for architecture & landscape.
Thanks,
Michael

Michael -

While that lens may have some uses, architectural photography is not going to be it's strong suit (unless you don't need the edges to be sharp).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

michaelbiondo

• http://michael@michaelbiondo.com
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2014, 09:37:18 am »

Thanks Steve, then The question would be what are, if any, the options for sitching with the Pentax ?
The idea would be to stich for wide field of view with a short tele lens.
Michael

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2014, 10:16:38 am »

Thanks Steve, then The question would be what are, if any, the options for sitching with the Pentax ?
The idea would be to stich for wide field of view with a short tele lens.

Hi Michael,

I would use Rotational (NPP) stitching, i.e. rotating through the No-Parallax-point, the entrance pupil of the lens. This allows to use the optimum center of the image circle for each tile you create. It would also allow to use focus-stacking per image tile, which can be more effective than tilt, especially for near objects that have height.

The required investment in components for a multi-row pano setup is usually much lower than for specialized lenses which may cause color cast issues with a CMOS sensor.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Dshelly

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 11:46:21 am »

Have any 645z owners used this camera with strobes? The modest synch speed is a bit of concern in that I primarily shoot in-studio with Profoto gear. With my 5D3, I shoot 1/125 with no issue – and if I need freeze some action, I can use the Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 to get an increased shutter speed. But with the heavier camera and lenses that come with the Pentax, I want to make sure that I can avoid soft images using the camera hand-held.

Can any current users weigh in?

tsjanik

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 02:12:36 pm »

Hi Michael,

I would use Rotational (NPP) stitching, i.e. rotating through the No-Parallax-point, the entrance pupil of the lens. This allows to use the optimum center of the image circle for each tile you create. It would also allow to use focus-stacking per image tile, which can be more effective than tilt, especially for near objects that have height.

The required investment in components for a multi-row pano setup is usually much lower than for specialized lenses which may cause color cast issues with a CMOS sensor.

Cheers,
Bart

Michael I agree with Bart.  Below is a 5 exposure stitch using NPP by using a long lenses plate to mount the camera with the nodal point of the lens over the axis of rotation, so no special equipment.  645D, 35mm

Tom

Untitled_Panorama2 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr

@Dshelly:  I have seen reports of using HSS at any shutter speed.  I don't have a link - sorry.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 02:38:51 pm »

Have any 645z owners used this camera with strobes? The modest synch speed is a bit of concern in that I primarily shoot in-studio with Profoto gear. With my 5D3, I shoot 1/125 with no issue – and if I need freeze some action, I can use the Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 to get an increased shutter speed. But with the heavier camera and lenses that come with the Pentax, I want to make sure that I can avoid soft images using the camera hand-held.

Can any current users weigh in?

I have shot with it under strobe and will soon be doing so quite a lot once more.  There is no reason whatsoever for image softness because the exposure is fully determined by the flash durations, not the shutter speed.  So the sync is exactly the same as with a 5D3 or any other camera.

The 645D performed *exceptionally* under strobes, btw.  I expect this camera to be the same.

The only issue with 1/125th sync is with outdoor fill flash and the power required bc of working at a smaller aperture than if one is able to shoot 1/500th.

I would add that, for someone doing Hurley-style headshots or beauty work with constant lighting like the Kinoflows, the ultra-clean ISO 400 on the 645z will be a real boon.  I would have considered this route but-for the fact I already own strobes.

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Joe Towner

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2014, 03:47:18 pm »

@Dshelly:  I have seen reports of using HSS at any shutter speed.  I don't have a link - sorry.

I've done HSS - works great all the way to 1/4000th, but only with the Pentax speedlights.  Not that much in a secondary flash market.
t: @PNWMF

Dshelly

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2014, 06:35:54 pm »

I have shot with it under strobe and will soon be doing so quite a lot once more.  There is no reason whatsoever for image softness because the exposure is fully determined by the flash durations, not the shutter speed.  So the sync is exactly the same as with a 5D3 or any other camera.

The 645D performed *exceptionally* under strobes, btw.  I expect this camera to be the same.

The only issue with 1/125th sync is with outdoor fill flash and the power required bc of working at a smaller aperture than if one is able to shoot 1/500th.

I would add that, for someone doing Hurley-style headshots or beauty work with constant lighting like the Kinoflows, the ultra-clean ISO 400 on the 645z will be a real boon.  I would have considered this route but-for the fact I already own strobes.

- N.

It's comforting to hear that. Sometimes the combination of my bulky Hassy body and a heavy lens would lead to some soft images if I wasn't absolutely steady with the camera – and issue I haven't had with my Canon 5D3. With the Hassy I could raise the shutter speed. Not so with the Pentax. But I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on the 645z. Every camera has it's issues based on what you shoot, but I feel this is a very good package for my needs.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2014, 04:46:15 pm »

I enjoyed reading this thread. Like Nick, I was an early adopter, getting my 645D from Japan, via Hong Kong. I used Pentax 67 and 645, and 645N film cameras in the old days, and sold everything when it looked like the 645 would die (no removable back).The very day the 645D was announced, I went on a used lens buying spree from ebay and KEH. I bought both FA and A lenses (I don't think I paid more than about $125 for any of them). It turns out, for my style of seascape/landscape work, I much preferred the manual focus lenses, so I sold most of the auto focus lenses, and kept the manual focus lenses. Finding a used split image ground glass is the icing on the cake!
To confirm what Nick and others have found:
  My 35mm A is a real gem. Light, small, and can handle polarizers. My most favorite landscape lens!
  The manual focus 75mm, 150mm and 200mm lenses are light weight (especially the 75 and 150)and very nice, although I have not "brick wall" tested.
  As everyone agrees, my 120 mm A macro is superb.
  I also have a 300mm and matched 1.4X  manual focus lens, but have not really used it as much as I should. Also have the 400mm f5.6 FA (bought it and not yet used it)
  The real surprise in the sharpness department at f11,& f13 is the 45-85mm FA. I use it very often. Superb!
I purchased a Nikon D800E and Sony A7R, and the 645D has been sitting on the shelf. This thread has inspired my to get out the tripod, pack a 645D kit, and go out and do more work! Thanks all!
Dave in NJ

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2014, 03:09:17 pm »

There is a very detailed Pentax 645 lens  review by a contributor to Getdpi. He is a real gentleman, who does serious testing. If it is OK with the moderators I will post the link below:
Thanks
Dave in NJ

LINK HERE:   http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/35577-comprehensive-testing-results-observations-pentax-645-lenses-used-645d.html

leeonmaui

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2014, 08:27:14 pm »

Aloha,

Just shot a few frames with my new
645 25mm
Amazing!
Ultra sharp!!
Better color and contrast that any of older lenses.
I don't know if it's 3X better as the price would reflect
But very very nice.
Love the filter tray.
Looks to be built even better than the older lenses.
Big solid and wide, wide again finally!

Only downside so far-Some pretty aggressive CA on some of the shots.
They tame up pretty good in post....

Well worth the $3500 by any measure.
A classic lens.....

Scotty-S

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 08:27:00 pm »

I had a 55-110mm too  ;D ???

Nothing special. Really compact, but optically not amazing. 

Let me put it this way: if I take the plunge on the "z" (I was spoiled with having a loaner for longer than usual) I will do so with the expectation of spending a lot of money on one or two of the new lenses in the next couple of years.  The Hassy 35-90mm is $8K new, and around $6K used, so I won't feel that hard done by, considering how much more usable the camera is than its competitors.

That said, EFCS (electronic first curtain shutter) is the one thing it needs most for landscape. If I knew it was possible via firmware, and likely coming, I'd buy tomorrow.  If I knew it were never coming, I would be more hesitant.

- N.

Nick,  now that you have purchased the Z, is there something you know about a firmware update that will implement electronic first curtain.  Only thing missing from the Z for me really.

Scott
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up