Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to move LR presets  (Read 1751 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
How to move LR presets
« on: November 03, 2014, 08:44:39 am »

I decided to store my presets with my single catalog so they would be backed up at the same time, but my presets vanished. I assume I have to copy them from the old location to the new - anyone know how to do this? Thanks.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: How to move LR presets
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 02:02:35 pm »

The settings are stored in a folder named Lightroom Settings that is in the same directory as your lightroom.lrcat file.  If it is missing and you have enabled the preference to store settings with catalog, I would assume LR would create a new folder.  I think all you have to do is copy the Lightroom Settings folder from the previous location into the same folder as your current lightroom catalog file.  If this folder is already there replace it, if not I would open the catalog file first and make sure the option to store settings is enabled, then quit LR and copy the folder over.

John Caldwell

Re: How to move LR presets
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 08:28:37 pm »

Only to add to what Wayne has already said: The LR Settings folders has several subfolders that contain various classes of presets, and each in its own descriptively named folder. I'd take a moment and explore the Settings Folder and its subfolders so you can get a handle on what's going on. I've found it very helpful to customize a give Settings folder for a given catalog. For example, a nit of mine is that the Develop Adjustment Brushes can't be sub-categorized, and I don't like to see a million brushes I'm not going to use on a given project, so I place unused brushes in a "dummy folder". This makes those brush presets invisible to the program, but I can call them up later by just placing them in the "active" brush folder when I launch a different catalog.

These Settings files are, in the end, text files that are quite lightweight. So I keep the LR Settings folders and share them between catalogs. This has worked well for me for a few years now, and may or may not work for you.

John Caldwell
Pages: [1]   Go Up