Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPF 6400 or IPF 8400  (Read 2757 times)

Jglaser757

IPF 6400 or IPF 8400
« on: November 03, 2014, 08:43:34 am »

I have gotten great feedback and info here,,THANK YOU. I have decided to go large format because I have spent thousands of dollars the last three years on printing for galleries etc. And Im tired of it. I wish I did it three years ago because the printer would have paid for itself already. I presently have the 3880. I also am not expecting to print anything large for a month or so because I dont think there will be a demand yet. I will be printing 17x25 to start. I know its small but "all roads lead to rome."

So I have narrowed down to one of two Canon printers. My only issue now is which size.

1)6400 limits me to 24 inch wide prints.  has been printed 32x48. I would prefer doing it myself because of color management issues and being obsessive about it. So the ipf6400 would limit me to 24x36. But, the printer is smaller and will fit in perfectly to the room.

2)I am leaning towards the 8400 because I can grow with this printer. It has everything desired except for its SIZE. Its huge!  I have a dedicated room in my house for the printing and PS work..12'x15' and it will be a struggle to get it into the room I think. Actually, I know it would have to be assembled in the room. And, it might even have to put on it side to get it the room.

I would appreciate any thoughts or feedback

MHMG

Re: IPF 6400 or IPF 8400
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 09:32:36 am »

Because the Canon iPF 6400/8400 printers are fed paper from the front whether it's cut sheet or roll, they can take up less space in a room than one might think. No need really to ever get behind them. The bigger issue is table layout space. Big prints need big surface areas to lay them out after printing for drying, interleaving, mounting, framing, etc. Even if you job out the framing to others, there will be plenty of times when you need to handle the prints flat rather than always rolled up. So, consider your space on what wall you can put the printer, but even more so on where in the print studio you will be be handling big prints, and how big they can be before it becomes awkward. In my studio which is about 15x22 ft, I have two 44 inch Canon printers nicely aligned against the wall, but my table space is currently limited to about 4x5 feet surface, so I prefer to work with 36 inch rolls rather than 44 inch rolls most of the time.  Still, this means I can routinely print bigger than what a 24 inch printer would allow, and that's a huge advantage to me :). Also, if you do ever end up printing any work for others, the largest size issue will inevitably become part of the conversation.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 09:36:21 am »

Well...

All I can say is the classic: If you buy a 24" today it is almost sure that tomorrow you will want a 44" and will spend a year cursing yourself. Obviously, if you buy a 44" you will spend a year printing just on 24" media and cursing yourself for the waste of money and space.

With that in mind I would go 44". If it fits the room and the budget and you consider the possibility of printing larger than 24" the decision is made, IMHO.

You can tilt and flip an empty (not assembled) printer to get into the room, but you would have to drain all the ink on the tubes ($$$$) to do it with an installed printer, so... Think, plan, measure and rethink before committing to the 44".  

Griffin86

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 09:57:46 am »

I would go for the iPF8400. I don't regret it one bit. If you worried about the prints taking up too much space, make a drying rack for them (like what is pictured below or out of wood). Then make a shelf above it to keep the rolls. The IPF8400 is <28" deep, if you have to go down a hallway you will have to stand it up to get it though the door. The main body is about 250 lbs, I did carry it down the stairs with just myself and a friend though. I would consider hiring a moving crew though, they have insurance and you will save your back.

Dan Wells

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 10:49:25 am »

Traditionally, the iPF8400 has been the better deal of the two (it's often only $1000 or so more expensive, and it comes with at least that much in additional ink - the 8400 comes with full 330ml cartridges, while the 6400 comes with 90 ml starter carts). On the other hand, it is HUGE, and Geraldo's warning is VERY important - once the ink's in it, it only moves flat. The Level 3 ink drain you need to do to tip it in order to get it out uses over $1000 in ink (it drains a total of 1900 ml of ink), two or three maintenance cartridges, and puts a huge strain on internal components. Some people say they've moved these with a Level 2 drain using 600 ml of ink ($300) and a single maintenance cartridge, with no problem, even with the printer briefly on end, but I was actually present at a move (of an 8300) where this was tried, and the printer died. I bet it's luck with exactly which direction it tips unless you do the Level 3. This wasn't a big problem with earlier 6000 series models, but I've read that the 6400, as it got the bigger ink tanks, also picked up the sub-tank system that makes the 8000 series printers such a pain to move! Of course, a 6400 is only about 4 feet wide and something like 120 lbs, so you may be able to move it flat where the much larger 8400 would have to tilt. Remember that you can tip an 8400 (including on end) to get it IN the room it's going to - it's only once the cartridges are loaded that it's permanently installed.

The other negative feature of the 8000 series is that they ARE front-loading, but they load in a complex paper path from the BOTTOM of the printer. I much prefer the top front loading of the 6000 series. I can see why Canon did this - the 8400 would be very hard to load in a room with low ceilings if it loaded like a 6400, due to the very long spindles - but I really don't like the kneeling or squatting under the printer with a heavy roll. The best loading system of all is the current Epsons, with their beautiful spindleless top loading, which requires no extra space at all, but Epsons, of course mean more care with clogging - I presently have a (brand-new) Epson 7900, and it has NOT given me any initial problems (one of the times they are most likely to clog is actually right after installation). Fingers crossed, and I start each day with a print, which is a recommended way of keeping Epsons happy.

The most troublefree big printer I've used, other than my week-old 7900, was an iPF6100. The 6000 series are great machines - but the pricing on the 8400 sure is tempting.

Something else to consider is canvas... If you aren't doing canvas, a 24" printer is darned big, but canvas prints go bigger all the time (both because of the extra required for the gallery wrap and because there is no mat or frame, so a larger print fits in the same space.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 10:59:08 am »

Fyi, I decided to go with the 8400 with the same rationale as the previous posts. Love it so far; very pleased. FWIW, I was able to get it into a normal house size bedroom (my "studio") horizontally with a 29.75 inch door. That's the door itself and I took it off the hinges to make sure. We had to be careful, but it fit with about 0.5 inch clearance on either side. Assembled the stand in the room first so the headpiece could be set right on it. No problems. Takes up just less than 6.5x3 feet. Forty-five inches tall at its tallest point.
Hope this helps.

Jglaser757

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 12:41:59 pm »

Because the Canon iPF 6400/8400 printers are fed paper from the front whether it's cut sheet or roll, they can take up less space in a room than one might think. No need really to ever get behind them. The bigger issue is table layout space. Big prints need big surface areas to lay them out after printing for drying, interleaving, mounting, framing, etc. Even if you job out the framing to others, there will be plenty of times when you need to handle the prints flat rather than always rolled up. So, consider your space on what wall you can put the printer, but even more so on where in the print studio you will be be handling big prints, and how big they can be before it becomes awkward. In my studio which is about 15x22 ft, I have two 44 inch Canon printers nicely aligned against the wall, but my table space is currently limited to about 4x5 feet surface, so I prefer to work with 36 inch rolls rather than 44 inch rolls most of the time.  Still, this means I can routinely print bigger than what a 24 inch printer would allow, and that's a huge advantage to me :). Also, if you do ever end up printing any work for others, the largest size issue will inevitably become part of the conversation.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Hi Mark,

I didnt even consider table space and having to handle them flat or letting them dry.  I was actually thinking 36 inch roll paper. I guess the other consideration is trimming or cutting them too. Do u use a rotary trimmer? or a pair of scissors  ;D

Dan Wells

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 12:52:11 pm »

You got much better kindergarten grades than I did if you trim prints successfully with a pair of scissors, an X-Acto, or really anything other than a rotary trimmer (or a guillotine trimmer for smaller prints. Not only have I never gotten a really good edge that way, I've never met anyone who has, either. A rotary trimmer as wide as your carriage is pretty much a necessity.

-Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up