Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monarch Migration  (Read 1411 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Monarch Migration
« on: November 03, 2014, 07:47:50 am »

Someone who's never experience the sight of migrating Monarch butterflies asked me what it's like. I had to give it thought but here is my exact feeling.

Imagine being totally deaf in a bubbling stream marked by lots of tiny rocks that cause the water to "blink." Imagine there are tree canopies rich with all the bright reds and yellows of fall, and the leaves drifting gently on the wind that both reflect the colors but also, sadly also blanket the water.

Now imagine you are colorblind...

And then you can suddenly see colors...
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Re: Monarch Migration
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 09:39:06 am »

Nice. I have always had a fondness for Monarch butterflies, as they foretell of autumn and the passing of summer. The butterfly population in Maryland this year was very low. I think I may have seen 1 or 2 Monarchs but no more. Glad to see they're still migrating, if in smaller numbers than in past years.

Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 11:25:40 am »

Nice! #1 and #3 are my favorites.
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 12:47:32 pm »

This is the leftover crowd which I am sure left early this morning...it's quite a sight to see but a smaller group than year's previously. I fear they are falling prey to the same plight as the American honey bee: death by insecticides.

Vuelo de los Reyes
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 12:02:38 am »

Insecticides, including GMO plants are a big problem, as is habitat loss. Monarch caterpillars need milkweed plants and not many farmers will thank you for that.

In one study with monarchs they collected some, put them in a box,  put them on a plane and flew them four states east, tagged and released them. For the first couple of days they flew a parallel course to what they were on, then adjusted course and headed for that hidden valley. This from a creature that weighs less than a dime.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

davidh202

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 09:54:42 pm »

it is not only the loss of Milkweed, but deforestation in the Wintering grounds in Mexico that is devastating the Monarch population...

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=8506
Pages: [1]   Go Up