Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scanning a modem label  (Read 3137 times)

Lundberg02

Scanning a modem label
« on: November 02, 2014, 11:26:16 pm »

Just got a new modem from CenturyLink and wanted to scan the label on the bottom to capture the various items like SSID, password, MAC address. Thought I could fix the scan with PP, but no joy. The modem has feet so the label was about 3/16" off the scanner window. All the focus apps I tried after boosting contrast and exposure did a fairly sh***y job. It almost looks like a refraction problem.
I've scanned lots of 3D objects with scanners and the images didn't exhibit any signs of this that I noticed. I always thought that the scanner light was pretty well collimated and that I could get away with doing this, but apparently not. The modem is installed now and I don't want to fool with it otherwise I would remove the feet if possible. Of course I ended up writing down the info and will scan that, but WTF?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Scanning a modem label
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 12:12:30 am »

I just snapped a picture of the label with my phone ...

Lundberg02

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 12:44:31 am »

I don't have a camera phone, but, sure I could have point and shooted it. I just want to know why the scanner image looks refracted somehow, but only in one direction.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 05:56:15 am »

I don't have a camera phone, but, sure I could have point and shooted it. I just want to know why the scanner image looks refracted somehow, but only in one direction.

Could you share a crop?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Lundberg02

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 07:54:24 pm »

Yes, I'll have to find the PP version. Note the bottom of the characters.  The scan direction was top to bottom. BTW, I am not using the wireless so the info is useless I hope. Of course no one here is a hacker, right?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 08:24:37 pm »

I think there are two types of scanners, let's call them "old generation" and "new generation." The old used to have very deep depth of field, the new very shallow. It looks to me you have a shallow depth of field problem. I can be wrong, of course

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 04:55:32 am »

Yes, I'll have to find the PP version. Note the bottom of the characters.  The scan direction was top to bottom. BTW, I am not using the wireless so the info is useless I hope. Of course no one here is a hacker, right?

Hi,

Was this already processed, or is this as scanned? It looks horrible, I agree.
Maybe it's due to the sensor technology (CIS instead of CCD), maybe something else.

I've tried, but have not found a suitable Point Spread function yet to reverse the blur.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Lundberg02

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 06:38:03 pm »

Yes, Slobodan, I think that is the problem. Scanners I have in the past would not have had this problem. When did the technology change in your opinion?

I agree, Bart, I have a number of deconvolvers and none of them will do much with it. They only seem to emphasize the refractive error if that's what it is.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 07:45:04 pm »

I think it has to do with this:

Contact image sensor technology (as Bart mentioned).

From Wikipedia article (emphasis mine):

CIS devices typically produce lower image quality compared to CCD devices; in particular, the depth of field is greatly limited, which poses a problem for material that is not perfectly flat.

Lundberg02

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 12:47:32 am »

While googling I ran across an Epson website bragging that they don't use CIS and my scanner is an Epson all in one, but it's not clear that they aren't using CIS in it.  Here's a scan of a 3D object that doesn't seem to have the problem, from the same scanner.  It too maybe lacking DOF.  I'm trying to find some scans of objects from a much older scanner.

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 12:59:26 am »

While googling I ran across an Epson website bragging that they don't use CIS and my scanner is an Epson all in one, but it's not clear that they aren't using CIS in it.  Here's a scan of a 3D object that doesn't seem to have the problem, from the same scanner.  It too maybe lacking DOF.  I'm trying to find some scans of objects from a much older scanner.

Since that second photo looks like it might possible be armor piercing ammo, try scanning the modem again.  Maybe since the scanner has seen the ammo, it will do a better job from now on.   ;D

Lundberg02

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 10:59:02 pm »

Yes, maybe fear will work.   It seems to be working with my car. Since I started measuring the battery with a voltmeter, it hasn't failed to start.

I've been looking through tons of old jpgs trying to find a scan from years ago that might show better depth of field, but no luck so far.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 05:09:17 pm »

I now remembered why I know about DOF issues: years ago, there was too much of it! I used to have an Epson flatbed scanner that had a slide adapter, i.e., a replacement cover with its own light source from above. First I noticed a strange, faint, repetitive pattern on all my slides I scanned. I could not figure out where that comes from, as the light source was covered with a thick frosted glass. The texture of the glass did not look like the patterns I was getting on the scanned images, so I dismantled the cover in search of the cause. I found it had two or three fluorescent tubes as source of light AND a metal mesh between the tubes and the glass, the purpose of which I guess was to defuse the light even before it hits the frosted glass.

Now, those who use dedicated film scanners would know that they have extremely limited DOF... so much so, that if you do not use a glass carrier for the film strip or slide, the curvature of the film would result in unsharp edges. Imagine then my surprise that my flatbed scanner would go beyond the surface of the film, beyond the frosted glass, and actually pick the pattern of the metal mesh behind. Then I did a different experiment and scanned a software box, standing upright: you could not only read the bottom of the box that was in direct contact with the scanner glass, but you could read the letters on the box sides all the way to the top!

Lundberg02

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 11:24:31 pm »

I had an old UMAX that had the replacement cover and I distinctly remember scanning 3D objects and marveling at the DOF and thinking that the scan light must be collimated. This is the reason I was so surprised I couldn't read the modem label. Still looking for an old scan. I'm going to use Lyn on a 64 GB flash drive archive to see if I can find a good example.

Lundberg02

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 12:21:10 am »

This is the one I was looking for scanned on my old Umax 400 spi flatbed in 1997. The max object thickness was at least a half inch and I think it's in pretty good focus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up