Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saving to sRGB question  (Read 3529 times)

Gentle Senator

Saving to sRGB question
« on: November 02, 2014, 04:49:44 pm »

I'm running into a problem that I could use some help solving. I'm trying to figure out why an image that I save to sRGB looks significantly different in two (supposedly) color managed browsers.
The image was processed in ProPhoto color space in PS, exported using Save for Web, converting to and embedding the sRBG color profile.  I have a wide gamut Dell U2713H monitor using Adobe RGB color space.

After converting to sRGB and uploading to the web, the image looks as it should using Chrome but has a very significant cyan color shift using Internet Explorer.  If I change the color space on my monitor to sRGB while viewing the image in IE, the image looks as it should. If I use a different computer with a monitor that is using the sRGB color space the image looks as it should in all browsers.

Both browsers are color managed (I have confirmed using http://cameratico.com/tools/web-browser-color-management-test/). However, on that site, the two bottom color examples show significant differences between the top and bottom rows in chrome, but in IE the top and bottom rows look the same...

So, I guess I'm just wondering:
1) Is the color shift on the image just a browser issue or is there something I can do to address it so that the image looks the same in all browsers? 
2) If both browsers are color managed, why would the image looks so different between the two browsers? I relaize there will be differences in how images are displayed on different browsers but I wouldn't expect it to be as significant as I am seeing.
3) I also wanted to have this image printed at a lab that wants the image in the sRBG color space.  Should I expect the cyan color shift when printed?

I fear I'm about to head down the color management rabbit hole :)
-Dave

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Saving to sRGB question
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 05:05:45 pm »

Very good photo by the way. The real rabbit hole you may be running down is using a printer who wants the files in sRGB.

Beware of I.E.

Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

D Fosse

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 05:15:47 pm »

Color management is not just about honoring the embedded document profile. That profile also has to go somewhere: the display profile. A full color management chain is source profile > destination profile.

Internet Explorer has all the color management logic in place. But then for some unfathomable reason decides to not use the display profile as destination, but use sRGB instead. This way they made absolutely certain that it will never, ever, under any circumstances, display correctly.

sRGB as display profile may pass unnoticed with a standard gamut display. But with a wide gamut display, no way.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 12:50:27 pm »

The only properly colour-managed browsers are Firefox and Safari.  Chrome was, but they broke it with an update a month or two ago - not sure if they've properly fixed it yet.  IE doesn't work on a wide-gamut monitor, as the others have said. 

On a wide-gamut monitor, Firefox is the strong favourite.  The reason: you can tell it to colour-mange untagged graphic elements.  Otherwise (and always with Safari) untagged elements are usually over-saturated on wide-gamut monitors.  Even with Firefox, this isn't the default option.  You have to set option "gfx.color_management.mode" to 1 from the default value of 2 (Google for how to do it). 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 01:04:17 pm »

If you are really brave and curious, we are currently trying to resolve the same (or a very similar) conundrum in this thread and already reached eight pages :)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 01:55:32 pm »

If I change the color space on my monitor to sRGB while viewing the image in IE, the image looks as it should.
That leads me to believe it is wrong and thus not recognizing and using that display profile in the CMS chain. The other browsers do and are correct. IE is confused or setup incorrectly.
Try this page:
http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Gentle Senator

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 03:28:22 pm »

Thanks all.

The real rabbit hole you may be running down is using a printer who wants the files in sRGB.

I have a friend who has used Whitewall.com and the prints under acrylic looks spectacular so I want to give that a shot. They do request the images in sRGB though.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 04:13:28 pm »

Thanks all.

I have a friend who has used Whitewall.com and the prints under acrylic looks spectacular so I want to give that a shot. They do request the images in sRGB though.

Well, as you are a "senator" and a "gentle" one at that, :-) I shall only give you two bits of friendly advice: (1) Today's professional printers have colour gamuts much wider thann sRGB, so if your photos contain colours that exceed the sRGB gamut, your printer will be clipping them. Personally, I would never use such a printer regardless of what someone else' photos may look like; (2) But no harm trying them anyhow - as long as you keep separate master files of your photos that are NOT cut down to sRGB colour space.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up