Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I power a Leaf Aptus 12 from a Mac Pro laptop battery?  (Read 1547 times)

D!RK

Can I power a Leaf Aptus 12 from a Mac Pro laptop battery?
« on: November 01, 2014, 02:52:37 pm »

I am trying to figure out if I can use a Leaf Aptus 12 tethered to a Mac laptop on location. All information I can find is about studio work or using a repeater for the new Thunderbolt Macs. What about a laptop with Firewire 800? (I am open to buy an older Mac) Does it provide enough juice to run the back? I would like to use a laptop in the field to have better control of focus and exposure. Ideally it would be tethered directly to the back, which requires to remove the back's battery and get the power from the computer. Is that doable to run everything from the laptop's battery? If not, what other solutions do you know besides exchanging files via card? What is your workflow in the field with a back and a laptop? If you could guide me to answers, posts, articles, etc that would be great. Thank you. D!RK

sbernthal

Re: Can I power a Leaf Aptus 12 from a Mac Pro laptop battery?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 03:11:26 pm »

I've tried it with an older macbook - it works sometimes but not reliably. It depends on how much juice the battery is providing.

If you want a stable solution, you are going to have to power the back directly with a battery pack connected to a FireWire adapter or repeater.

D!RK

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 05:19:55 pm »

Looks like that not many people here are using their Leaf Aptus backs with a laptop in the field. Anybody with a good, detailed suggestion? Thank you 

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 11:57:53 pm »

The problem with an older Mac is that it isn't long term.  One option is to use a firewire hub ala

https://captureintegration.com/product/fw800-firewire-powered-hub/

and a http://www.paulcbuff.com/vm120.php to power it.  Any Macbook Air/Pro/Retina will work then, even with a Thunderbolt adapter.

Or setup one of these...  http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-cfr-66p-01.html

-Joe

t: @PNWMF

sbernthal

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 01:08:42 am »

As I said, I've faced this exact problem and solved it.
If you didn't understand my solution, you could have asked for detail.
You have a very interesting approach for asking for help.

D!RK

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 10:46:32 am »

Sbernthal. Sorry if it came across as impolite. That wasn't the intent. Yes, I could have asked for more specific detail. I don't know what powerpacks are. I usually don't work with studio equipment, flashes, etc. Joe, thanks for the links. The power pack looks heavier than what I had hoped for but still ok with me ;-) I may need a bigger bag as well to carry all that. Thanks guys. 

sbernthal

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 12:07:12 pm »

The power pack you need is very small and fits in any pocket.
Pages: [1]   Go Up