Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sinar P3 54H connection issues  (Read 3905 times)

Dean Elliott

• Dean Elliott
Sinar P3 54H connection issues
« on: October 30, 2014, 07:43:49 am »

Hi, I know there are very few that still use the Sinar P3 and Sinarback 54H combination, but I am one of them. I refuse to let mine fall into the technology grave. So I need to seek some help with compatibility issues. I am aware this has been discussed before. I have been scouring the forums and only find information that tells me that my setup should in fact be working. Yet its not. I will post the specs below. But first and explanation. I have deleted all previous versions of Captureshop, Exposure and anything else Sinar related using Cleanapp. I have also used ONYX to clean up according to another thread I read and finally I have deleted all the recommended files and folders in the application support and preferences folders.

I am using a Sinar P3 with a 54H-fw Digital back on a sliding adapter. I am trying to connect to an Imac 3.06 GHZ intel core 2 Duo

When I click on more info and then on the Firewire link in the side bar it just tells me what the port is capable of and not that it is connected like the USB are to my external hard drives. Im not sure if its meant to?
I am using the same 4,5 Sinar cable that I usually use when connected to a G5 tower and it works fine, though the only difference is that I have 6-9 pin adapter. I have also tried another cable that is only 90cm in length and to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks in Advance.

Model Name:   iMac
  Model Identifier:   iMac10,1
  Processor Name:   Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:   3,06 GHz
  Number Of Processors:   1
  Total Number Of Cores:   2
  L2 Cache:   3 MB
  Memory:   12 GB
  Bus Speed:   1,07 GHz
  Boot ROM Version:   IM101.00CC.B00
  SMC Version (system):   1.52f9
  Serial Number (system):   W89398X35PC
  Hardware UUID:   5E22D5DC-431C-5AB7-BAE3-56365B6CD19F
Web: www.deanelliottstudio.com
Insta: @deanelliottstudio

george2787

Re: Sinar P3 54H connection issues
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 10:08:47 am »

I'm not a MF user but I hear that towers like the g5 usually have more juice through the ports and that may be the problem, if cpu happen to have access to a powered hub you could at least roll that out as an issue ;)

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 09:17:32 pm »

You may give Michael Ulsaker at Ulsaker Studio (in Connecticut) a shout. He's probably sold and supported hundreds of 54H backs and many, many P3s. He knows anything if not everything about connectivity issues.

Dean Elliott

• Dean Elliott
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 02:39:45 am »

Thanks @george2787 and @BobDavid. I will try checking that the firewire port works with another device first and then i will definitely Contact Michael. If there is any more experiences in the meantime please feel free to elaborate.

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 03:56:13 am »

Why not write to Sinar directly? I have always had very prompt and helpful replies to my questions regarding the same 54H back, though not in conjunction with the P3.

Kumar

Dean Elliott

• Dean Elliott
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 04:12:41 am »

Why not write to Sinar directly? I have always had very prompt and helpful replies to my questions regarding the same 54H back, though not in conjunction with the P3.

Kumar

Hi Kumar, Thanks for the reply. In short, it is because in my experience its the users that have the actual experience with these things and can give valuable feedback. Most companies get their feedback from the users themselves. If i was looking for a cable or something similar then I definitely would contact them directly. Also, from reading the forum and topics that are related I thought it was best to approach it this way. I have seen a few users go through something similar but they managed to resolve the issues.

I must check my firewire port with another device first then I will revert back here to avoid wasting the time of fellow members replying with possible solutions. I was a bit hasty trying to find a quick reasoning behind the connectivity issue. It Could be my mac, although the firewire port has never been used.

Thanks for your suggestion.  ;)

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 09:01:20 am »

Hi Dean,

No harm in trying. Your expectations are low enough ;)
In any case, Daniela Haushalter, Ulf Muhl and Hans-Peter Ochsner helped me with my 54H. Thierry Hagenauer was Sinar's most knowledgeable person. Like Michael Ulsaker, David Kay of CaptureScanPrint knows Sinar products very well.

I hope you get an answer to your question - I might face it sometime soon :)

Cheers,
Kumar

Dean Elliott

• Dean Elliott
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 09:18:29 am »

Hi Dean,

No harm in trying. Your expectations are low enough ;)
In any case, Daniela Haushalter, Ulf Muhl and Hans-Peter Ochsner helped me with my 54H. Thierry Hagenauer was Sinar's most knowledgeable person. Like Michael Ulsaker, David Kay of CaptureScanPrint knows Sinar products very well.

I hope you get an answer to your question - I might face it sometime soon :)

Cheers,
Kumar

Thanks Kumar, I used to be part of the Sinar Agency here in South Africa for about 4 years and had the honour of meeting Thierry on a few occasions as well as Hans Peter once I seem to remember, dunno if it was in Thailand or Cologne. VERY knowledgable guys and thats why I would rather rule out any possibilities first. I am pretty sure I will be asked if I have tested my Firewire port first. ha ha. Thats why I don't want to waste anyones time if I have not done my bit first. Ill definitely keep the post up to date as soon as I find a device with firewire other that my old 54H.

The only possibilitie at this satge is a low powered port. All the software and Mac os seem to be in order according to the readme files.
The second possibility is that my cable/s or adapter is faulty. But i doubt all three options are the culprit. Heres to hoping i can test it over the weekend.

Thanks again for the response. Have a great weekend.

Joe Towner

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 01:21:26 pm »

I'd actually check and make sure you don't have anything beyond the back, keyboard and mouse connected.  Everything draws power, and to have a bunch of USB devices or Firewire devices to split the power tends to cause issues.  The powered hub would solve this, but as a test, you can take it down to 3 devices and see how it does.
t: @PNWMF

Dean Elliott

• Dean Elliott
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 07:25:17 am »

I'd actually check and make sure you don't have anything beyond the back, keyboard and mouse connected.  Everything draws power, and to have a bunch of USB devices or Firewire devices to split the power tends to cause issues.  The powered hub would solve this, but as a test, you can take it down to 3 devices and see how it does.

I have done this, thanks Joe. All devices unplugged. Just keyboard.

Dean Elliott

• Dean Elliott
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 07:38:26 am »

At this point I am at a loss. I realized that I could check the cables for power by connecting them without the usual power supply, which as far as I know is needed to enable the communication through to the lens via the bellows. Its a CMV lens and needs power to operate.

If I connect just the firewire to the DB only then it still powers up. The fans run as per usual. I just cant get it to connect to Capture shop. And it does not show up in system profiler.

I will be forwarding this info to Sinar shortly. I will try relay the message here incase there are any others that may need this info.

Thanks for the feedback thus far everyone.

ynp

• http://
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 10:37:13 am »

Very strange behavior. I have pretty much the same setup with the iMac10,1 2009 and I have no connectivity problems.
I use a short FW cable from PhaseOne, the back is not seen with the long Sinar FW cable. Maybe your cable has too much of resistance.

Yevgeny

Dean Elliott

• Dean Elliott
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 10:50:15 am »

I emailed Michael and recieved the following notes to try out. Unlucky for me i was not successful.  :'(

Unless of course i did something wrong along the way. I am having to go the route of getting a Firewire repeater cable, which i somehow dont think is the issue... Just a feeling. But i could be wrong obviously.

Hardware Solution:
Make sure you have the Sinar 12v power supply plugged into the 54H P3 Adapter plate.
With all the Firewire adapters, it is possible the iMac is not getting enough power into the Firewire channel.
Try running the iMac with no other firewire or USB devices other than keyboard and mouse, so the power supply is not being drained.
If that does not work, try using a firewire repeater like the Lindy with its AC adapter to insure there is enougn power in the Firewire channel.

http://www.lindy-usa.com/3-port-firewire-800-repeater-hub-32911.html

Software:
Make sure you have the correct camera selected in the Captureshop Hardware setup.
Using Disk utility, rebuild the permissions on your hard drive.
Zap the PRAM.
Delete the Saptureshop preferences.

Let me know if the above ideas make it work.

Good Luck.

Best,

Michael

Dean Elliott

• Dean Elliott
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 05:59:57 am »

Thanks so much to all that helped out in this post. I have resolved the issue and am back on track photographing with me Sinar P3. After many attempts with different computers and cables i found a solution that works. Most of the cables/combinations i tried were all failing due to poor cable and connector quality. I have managed to finally connect to (a new) Macbook Pro using a 4.5m firewire cable. The laptop will later be connected to a larger screen for bettor colour and viewing.

I was reconnected with Daniela from Sinar whom I used to deal with many years back, and as expected received the same excellent feedback and support.

If anyone has the same issues that i have had, feel free to ask me anything as i would be happy to return the favour of my time as the fellow LL members have for me. Many thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up