Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two Giants: Gitzo GT5562GTS vs Gitzo GT5560SGT  (Read 2029 times)

JamesJetel

Two Giants: Gitzo GT5562GTS vs Gitzo GT5560SGT
« on: October 29, 2014, 03:57:46 pm »

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with the two of these. I've compared the specs (New vs Old) and it's clear that the newer version (5562GTS) has the better specs - it's really a matter of cost $1300 vs $800. Does anyone have any insight as to Gitzo's improvement over the last 5 years that would make the extra $500 worth it?

Thanks!
JJ

michaelbiondo

• http://michael@michaelbiondo.com
Re: Two Giants: Gitzo GT5562GTS vs Gitzo GT5560SGT
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 06:16:39 pm »

I have the Gitzo Series 4 6X Systematic 5-Section Tripod (Giant) and love it. One does pay a premium for the brand but if you are lugging one around all day, every day then it is a no brainer. I am curious about the RRS tripods as I use a lot of their gear and it is top notch (although) I do wish that the would make a geared head.
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com
MB

JamesJetel

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 12:15:19 am »

Good to hear you love the older model, I bit the bullet on it, a guy had one with a center column on FredMiranda for 800, it sounds like it may have been a decent choice. Especially if all I have is an Rm3di sitting on top on a 410 head.

The search for big sticks was prompted by a recent gig. Couldn't get a scissor lift or a Condor on site so naturally I had my tech cam Mafer'ed(with a plate and the 410) to a 12 ft ladder -  Then, so as not to shake during a 15s expo, I was standing on another ladder in the back of a truck bed triggering it.
I figured, maybe it's time to get some bigger legs.

The RRS looks great, specs are good, it's a more aesthetically appealing tripod in my opinion, but this deal seems to have won out. Speaking of other brands though,  I actually have a smaller Feisol CT-4432(I think) that has served me really well internationally. Only run into minor issues every once in a while with set screws and legs coming a bit loose. If you carry an allen key set with you, it's no problem... just the times you don't and you have one floppy leg can be a pain.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on it.

pixjohn

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 12:33:09 am »

I also have the older version and never had a problem with it. I do hang a 15lb sand bag from the center column when I have the legs extended.
Pages: [1]   Go Up