Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving an Epson 9900  (Read 2971 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Moving an Epson 9900
« on: October 28, 2014, 10:56:42 pm »

I know I have to lock the head in place and kept the piece from packaging to do so. I'm sure the manual explains some of this (haven't looked yet) - but is there anything else I should know before moving an Epson 9900 (and a 4900 too) - as in load on a truck and move to a new building? For example, should I remove the ink cartridges? 
Mike Guilbault

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Moving an Epson 9900
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 01:21:57 am »

I moved my 9900 intact with the carts. I think it said something in the book on the best way.

Mine did a winter grossing over the Sierra, though the weather and roads were clear and dry.

The hardest thing was to find three "pall bearers" to carefully pack it with me down the stairs. My 9800 only took two of us.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 01:56:41 am »

Leave the cartridges in, keep the printer level.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=94523.0

Dan Wells

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 06:05:09 am »

As I understand it, it needs to be level in the truck (you can't load it in on its end, or on a 45 degree angle), but unlike the big Canons, you CAN tip it to some extent (assuming the head is locked in place) to get it up or down stairs, or around a corner. The Epsons use a pressurized ink system, while Canon uses subtanks to deal with the long ink lines, and I think it is the subtanks that make the Canons so incredibly sensitive to tipping. The Epson doesn't have an ink drain procedure to move it, while the Canon has three different levels of draining (the most extreme of which uses up so much ink that the value of lost ink can be close to the price of the printer). The Epson user manual procedure takes up a page (basically saying "lock the printhead and don't drop the thing"), while the Canon procedure is a chapter...

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 07:37:56 am »

Thanks guys.  Luckily I don't have a flight of stairs, only a step, then on and off the truck. I've got two more guys and looking for a third to complete the foursome of 'pall bearers'. ;)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 07:40:37 am by Mike Guilbault »
Mike Guilbault

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 08:46:58 am »

Hi Mike,

Along with all of the good advice you've received so far I have one more suggestion to add.  Admittedly this may be a scenario that would only apply to my own maintenance habits, but in case you or any other members here happen to use the same procedure, it is one that has to be taken care of before a move.  For more years than I can remember I have reset and reused the maintenance tank(s).  Initially I used feminine hygiene products in lieu of the original padding.  Eventually I stopped using that method and simply reinstalled the tank with no padding at all.  It has never caused any issues, unless I have to move the printer any great distance while on the stand.  In that case I take great care to make no jerky moves that might cause splashing, which would obviously mean a bit of a cleanup.  In such cases I will sometimes remove the tank and empty/reset it before the move.  As mentioned, I have never had any problem using this procedure and it saves on the cost of padding.  Just a thought.  Good luck with the move Mike.

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Dan Wells

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 02:09:42 pm »

I might go so far as to change/empty the maintenance tank regardless of what procedure you're using - ink sloshing around is NEVER a good thing...I was present when an iPF 8300 was lost to an ink spill - Canons are far more vulnerable to ink spillage while moving than Epsons, due to their subtank system, but loose ink is a concern for any big printer, and the maintenance tank is a prime source of loose ink! Epson also says to lock the printhead in place by reinstalling the piece of packaging that held it during initial shipment. I lock printheads on ALL printers larger than 8.5x11" if I'm doing more than rolling them around the room - I keep the appropriate piece of packaging in the pocket Epson (or Canon) provides to store the manual! HP suggests taping doors and flaps shut, and I'd think that would be excellent advice on any printer (I've even taped doors on 8.5x11" printers).

Epson says to leave the cartridges in (I assume to maintain pressure in the pressurized ink system - the lines would actually be more of a concern if they weren't capped off by cartridges). They used to advise using EMPTY cartridges, which seems like it might a good idea if you have some available. Empties (or near-empties) should keep the pressure system charged, but limit the amount of ink in play if something jostles (they're also a good deal lighter than, say, full 700 ml carts).  I've moved a bunch of 17" Epsons without issue, and just installed a new 7900, but it'll be a year or more until I have to move that thing with ink in it.

Canon advises removing the cartridges and draining various bits of the printer, depending on how far you have to move it, and how much you have to tip it (the "Level 3 move", which drains all ink, loses so much ink that it can cost most of the value of the printer). I'd be extremely careful with any iPF that you can get it into and out of where it's going LEVEL (or that it's going somewhere where it'll never have to move). I've manhandled 5000s and 5100s (17") about quite a bit with no issues, moved a 6100 (24" once with relatively minor tilting, and it was fine (didn't drain it, but the 6100 didn't have the subtanks that were added to the 24" line in the 6400,  but have always been present in the 44" models), and was at an unsuccessful 8300 (44") move (despite a Level 2 drain and removed cartridges).

I've never had an HP, but their manual suggests that HPs are the most forgiving of all to move. No exhortations at all about keeping it level or even locking the printhead. They say you shouldn't remove cartridges or heads (and I don't know if the empty cartridge trick has value here).

Pages: [1]   Go Up