Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Colour and light measurements using portable Android platform  (Read 30893 times)

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
Re: Colour and light measurements using portable Android platform
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2015, 02:56:47 am »

>  if in time Ubuntu Touch makes it to commercial tablets will you also offer it commercially for that system?

I'm certainly keeping an eye on other handheld platforms, but it comes down to two things :- does the platform have native code USB host support, and is it popular enough that more than a handful of people are going to be interested in buying it ?
If not, then I'm probably better off spending time improving ArgyllCMS instead.

(But then I'm not convinced that more than one platform is needed - Android is cheap and widely available - if you want to measure color on the go, you can solve your problem right now, with no further work on anyone's part.)

Alexey.Danilchenko

• Spectron
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2015, 12:16:29 pm »

Graeme

Is that possible in ArgyllPRO ColorMeter to save the results (including spectral ones when available) of the measurements? In spotread a log file can be produced or measurements saved to spectral files - so I wonder if that is possible (have not found it in the docs or trial version). I'd like to use my Android device as portable recorder for these measurements (spectral data mainly) to be able to process later.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2015, 01:52:17 pm »

Doesn't this all come down to how accurate the sensor is?  You can have the best software.  But you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

GWGill

• ArgyllCMS
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2015, 09:19:19 pm »

Is that possible in ArgyllPRO ColorMeter to save the results (including spectral ones when available) of the measurements?
Not with the current version.

I'm planning to add a simple way of saving the raw XYZ and spectral measurements to a CGATS (or possibly CxF ?) file in the next version (probably a couple of weeks?), as part of supporting another instrument (The Image Engineering EX1, from the company that sells the fancy camera calibration gear), but anything more sophisticated will come a bit latter.

GWGill

• ArgyllCMS
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2015, 09:21:19 pm »

Doesn't this all come down to how accurate the sensor is?  You can have the best software.  But you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
Absolutely. So if you are after high accuracy, spend money on a high end instrument (i1pro2 ? Klein K10 ? JETI 1211 ?).

Alexey.Danilchenko

• Spectron
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 04:06:08 am »

Not with the current version.

I'm planning to add a simple way of saving the raw XYZ and spectral measurements to a CGATS (or possibly CxF ?) file in the next version (probably a couple of weeks?), as part of supporting another instrument (The Image Engineering EX1, from the company that sells the fancy camera calibration gear), but anything more sophisticated will come a bit latter.

Great - thanks. The simple version will do great for my needs (more sophisticated is of course very welcome ;).

torger

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 04:39:35 am »

I'm also interested in the feature saving a complete spectrum file, so I hope it appears in a future release. I need it to measure real light outdoors to make spectral simulations for camera profiling using SSFs, this way I can test a profile's performance in various real light conditions.

It would be great if the spectrum file could get GPS coordinates if the Android device has GPS, and timestamp of course so it will be easier to sort out which is which when you have saved lots of spectra.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 04:42:36 am by torger »

GWGill

• ArgyllCMS
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2015, 07:49:22 am »

I'm also interested in the feature saving a complete spectrum file, so I hope it appears in a future release. I need it to measure real light outdoors to make spectral simulations for camera profiling using SSFs, this way I can test a profile's performance in various real light conditions.
Exact what Image Engineering think their customers may want to do, as well as then reproducing it on their programmable spectral source :-)
It would be great if the spectrum file could get GPS coordinates if the Android device has GPS, and timestamp of course so it will be easier to sort out which is which when you have saved lots of spectra.
Right - good point. (Down the track I was thinking that tagging with a photo would be nice too.)

Alexey.Danilchenko

• Spectron
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 02:47:12 pm »

Exact what Image Engineering think their customers may want to do, as well as then reproducing it on their programmable spectral source :-)

Great - just bought the app and will wait eagerly for the saving spectrum feature.

Alexey.Danilchenko

• Spectron
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2015, 09:43:25 am »

Graeme

Any chance a version with saving spectral measurements will be on horizon? Just checking - as v1.2 came and I have not found it there. Thanks

WayneLarmon

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2015, 06:44:37 pm »

I'm planning to add a simple way of saving the raw XYZ and spectral measurements to a CGATS (or possibly CxF ?) file in the next version...

I'd vote for CGATS.  CGATS is a lot more straightforward to process with Perl regular expressions than CxF is.

And please also include the calculated data (CRI, CCT, etc.), in addition to the spectral data.

Wayne

Lundberg02

GWGill

• ArgyllCMS
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2015, 10:59:11 pm »

Any chance a version with saving spectral measurements will be on horizon? Just checking - as v1.2 came and I have not found it there.
That's something I'm working on for the next major release.

Lundberg02

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2015, 12:33:12 am »

I don't go out looking to see how I can waste money, but I've never come across anything so expensive before. Even Adobe's version of Photoshop on Android is only £7 ($10?).Well if http://www.androidauthority.com/most-expensive-android-apps-and-games-564948/ this site is to be believed, and it's just first I found in Google, that puts your app at joint 9th most expensive Android app.No surprise that iTunes offers some stupidly priced apps.

I know from experience that OTG can be a flaky technology and isn't worth investing much money into. If I have to carry a spectro around, a netbook is hardly much more to carry and I can use all the software I already have a licence for, plus the useful free software like i1Share, Colorport etc.
Sell it at a more normal premium app price, say $20, and I might buy it. At $100 it's far too much.

ColorPort is deprecated and replaced with iPublish.

Alexey.Danilchenko

• Spectron
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2015, 03:12:44 am »

That's something I'm working on for the next major release.
Any timeframe when it will be available?

WayneLarmon

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2015, 06:21:28 am »

th
at link will not load

It worked when the post was posted. I read that blog entry.  (It described ColorMeter's features.)   Right now, http://libregraphicsworld.org/ doesn't exist.  Maybe they are having server problems.  Or maybe the site was taken down.

Wayne

GWGill

• ArgyllCMS
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2015, 06:46:40 am »

Any timeframe when it will be available?
I'll be disappointed if it's not finished by the end of the year.

Alexey.Danilchenko

• Spectron
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2015, 07:33:35 am »

I'll be disappointed if it's not finished by the end of the year.

Great thanks (the sooner the better though ;))

Lundberg02

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2015, 06:50:12 pm »

It worked when the post was posted. I read that blog entry.  (It described ColorMeter's features.)   Right now, http://libregraphicsworld.org/ doesn't exist.  Maybe they are having server problems.  Or maybe the site was taken down.

Wayne

The site works now, must have had a server issue. The site is very rich and I could read it all day, but I have looked in tuts the ColorMeter is not there, and when i click on blog, my email app opens, so I have no idea what that problem is. I'll try using your original link now. Ok, it works and I have the ColorMeter article. I tried my i1 on the demo and it hooks up on my Android tablet. Now I need to read the article, read my i1 manual, and download the app, I guess. Use the diffuser or not when measuring lamps?

Lundberg02

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2015, 02:35:11 am »

I hope this is answered in the Help for ColorMeter:  how do you position the sensor when measuring lamps and do you use the ambient diffuser? I'm about to buy ColorMeter just to satisfy curiosity about my desk lamp and my Phillips LED bulbs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up