Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: RRS TVC-24L the right choice?  (Read 17577 times)

NancyP

Re: RRS TVC-24L the right choice?
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 10:58:03 am »

If you go monopod, you don't need anything hugely expensive, other than a sturdy tilt head for the monopod. Many sources. In US, Custom Brackets (the one I have, excellent quality, lacks a feature seen in newer designs), Kirk, RRS, Hejnarphoto machine shop, plus you might be able to get direct imports of Chinese and Taiwanese knockoffs.

I know that local people use and like the Jobo Junior 3 sidemount gimbal (lightweight and simple) for the EF 500 f/4L IS v.1, at ~3.9 kg for the lens. The action is good with this lens - I tried moving the gimbal/lens at one of the local bird photo hotspots. Photographers check out birds, then when things are slow they check out other people' kit.

If you want to use it for other lenses where you may be using the camera L bracket as clamp point, look for those heads that allow you to switch orientations in the field, generally requiring a hex key/ allen wrench (or whatever it is called in Europe). I have one of the older sturdy tilt heads without that feature, and I rather regret it, as sometimes I can use a monopod where tripods aren't allowed, don't really fit, or are otherwise hard to set up. Monopod plus image stabilisation is better than nothing.

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 01:27:45 pm »

The lever clamps are faster, have a half open position that allows the plates to slide, but not pop out.  Unfortunately, you can't adjust the clamping force so some non standard plates might not clamp tight.  I prefer the knob clamps because it can be clamped down tight and I have a fear (irrational or not) of dumping my gear all over the ground.

This is exactly the reason I opted for the BH-55 Pro instead of the LR. I have plates of many makes and some that are quite a few years old. With the "Pro" version clamp I don't need to worry that some might fit loosely.
- Dean

dwswager

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 02:26:48 pm »

I didn't have time to buy one within the last months, but now changed my mind again and finally came to a decision :)

After some more thinking I decided to get the TVC-23 with BH-40.
I think it's the best of both worlds, I'm only 8cm below eye level with this combination and I think it is perfect for hiking. Lighter than the 24L.

What I'm asking myself now is: I've got the Canon 500/f4 and would like to do some nature photography eventually, or try it.
The question is if I can use a Wimberley Sidekick with the BH-40 and this lens, or if I can use a normal Wimberley Head with the TVC-23..

Or a RRS Monopod for the 500/f4.. or a ground tripod.. I guess I need a lot of money :)

Everybody has to make their own decision on what they can and are willing to carry/pack.  Personally, I think it is a mistake to go smaller.  If you are already 8cm below your eye on level ground, that immediately tells me the tripod is too short for anything other than...level ground.  Go setup on a slope with you on the upside and try it out.  I have the 34L and it is about 1.25ft over my head when fully entended, but works great on lots of terrain.  In addition, it is an over the crowd (fence, wall, etc.) shooter and I'll pull up a log, step stool, bench garbage can, etc.

As to heads, I can't help with the Wimberly, but will say that the 2 series has a smaller apex than the 3 approximately 70mm 3 series.  I believe the 2 in meant to mate with the BH-40 and the 3 with the BH-55.  I generally use an Arca Swiss B1 that is 70mm.  I believe there is a ridge around the outside of the apex on RRS tripods.  Not a big deal that a head would overhang, most do, but just don't like the head riding on that ridge instead of mating with the whole surface.

chbla

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 11:49:40 am »

Got the TVC-23 with BH-40 now.
I have to admit: This thing is already huge! (Compared to my old Manfrotto).

It's extremely sturdy and well made. But now I'm not sure if it isn't a bit of an overkill
for multi-day trekking and a DSLR. :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up