Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: RRS TVC-24L the right choice?  (Read 17565 times)

chbla

RRS TVC-24L the right choice?
« on: October 28, 2014, 03:54:13 pm »

Hi there,

I'm currently looking for a new tripod, and right now I'm tending towards the TVC-24L.

I want to mainly use it with my 5Diii and probably mostly with the 24-70mm and 70-200mm. At most a 300mm lens for
shooting landscape, nature, some long exposures, and lot of hiking/trekking

I initially wanted to get the TVC-33 because I also have a 500mm/f4 which I use for aviation photography (handheld),
although I might use it once or twice a year on the tripod do shoot wildlife (right now I don't) I figured the additional
weight is not worth it as I'm hiking 20 times more, and it's a lot more to carry around.

So the compromise would be the TVC-24L which would be suitable for my purpose, and if I really need
to use the 500mm once on a tripod, I might change it, but I think it is a wiser start than the TVC-33.

I compared a lot of tripods, also the Gitzos, settled for the TVC-24L because I can use it at eye level and
because the 2series RRS seem to be a bit sturdier than the Gitzo:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XokRJZr6wMzQT0TaXV4p6-wrOyvUj5cvnZ0mfmXrX2c/edit#gid=0

I have two questions:

1. what do you think about my choice? does it make sense? :)
2. I did not chose a ballhead yet, although nice, the BH-55 seems to be a bit overkill (weight), any suggestions?
(Arca Swiss Cube would be my choice, but that's simply too expensive :)

Thanks a lot for your input!

allegretto

Re: RRS TVC-24L the right choice?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 04:16:21 pm »

Got one and it's great. Sturdy, practical and doesn't weigh a ton. many legs out there, but these are very good.

Glad you get the "L". It will come in handy

The BH-40 will do fine for your use and it's a match made in Heaven. Look very sharp together and will hold any FF-DSLR/lens quite nicely. even long tele as long as the foot is at a reasonable point.

Only "gripe" is that like all balls, one must anticipate the "drop" when tightening up. Gears are better, but add weight, expense and bulk

Some Guy

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 05:36:57 pm »

I'd get the three sections per leg over the four.  Just too many things to tighten up and slow to use.  Actually, I'd like 2 sections per leg, but no one seems to make a CF one short of maybe wood which also might be nice, although a lot heavier.  If you need to go lower than the less legs provide (3 vs. 4), just splay the legs outward from the yoke since they do that.  Three section may dampen some vibes over the four section too.  Only advantage would be packing size being shorter, but that's about it for the four section legs.

As to the head, if you are planning on using a 500mm go for the larger BH-55.  They spec their BH-40 out to 200mm so a 500mm might be pushing the weight.  The BH-55 being heavier, works well for gimbal mounts with a 500mm too.  I use the BH55 with a Wimberley Sidekick (gimbal) and it is a nice combo, other than the pain of screwing the clamp knob forever to clamp the lens plate in the Wimberley vs. the quicker cam lever lock on the BH-55 head that I use.

SG

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 07:11:05 pm »

Hi,

Regarding heads, I would mention the Arca Swiss D4: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/53-arca-swiss-d4

I have the TVC-33S, as I unfortunately don't need anything longer and wanted to keep collapsed size to minimum.

I also have a Gitzo GT3541LS, and I would say there is no comparison, the RRS plays in a higher division.

I have BH40, BH-55 and the Arca Swiss D4. An interesting head is the Acratech Ultimate ballhead, that exist in a few different versions. I loved mine but got rid of it as I had it with a screw type QR and had a tendency to mix up the screws releasing the lens instead of pan. It is available with a lever type lock.

Best regards
Erik

Hi there,

I'm currently looking for a new tripod, and right now I'm tending towards the TVC-24L.

I want to mainly use it with my 5Diii and probably mostly with the 24-70mm and 70-200mm. At most a 300mm lens for

I initially wanted to get the TVC-33 because I also have a 500mm/f4 which I use for aviation photography (handheld),
although I might use it once or twice a year on the tripod do shoot wildlife (right now I don't) I figured the additional
weight is not worth it as I'm hiking 20 times more, and it's a lot more to carry around.

So the compromise would be the TVC-24L which would be suitable for my purpose, and if I really need
to use the 500mm once on a tripod, I might change it, but I think it is a wiser start than the TVC-33.

I compared a lot of tripods, also the Gitzos, settled for the TVC-24L because I can use it at eye level and

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XokRJZr6wMzQT0TaXV4p6-wrOyvUj5cvnZ0mfmXrX2c/edit#gid=0

I have two questions:

2. I did not chose a ballhead yet, although nice, the BH-55 seems to be a bit overkill (weight), any suggestions?

Erik Kaffehr

dwswager

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 08:06:14 pm »

The TVC-24L is a great choice considering the lenses and purposes.  I actually went with the 34L at the RRS representative's recommendation because I'm not planning to schlep this tripod long distances and do some exceptionally long exposures on it.

As to ballhead, I like the RRS heads and I'm pretty sure the BH-40 is the head matched to the 2 series tripods 50mm apex and would handle your gear.  I personally use a 17 year old Arca Swiss B1 and love it.  The P0 looks interesting to me only because I have always thought that ball heads have been upside down.  Heads seem to be one of those personal choices that one guy loves and the next guy hates.

allegretto

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 08:26:13 pm »

sure don't want to start flames over tripods and the 33 looks nice, but it's 8" shorter and a quarter lb heavier. Which would both seem to not be what the OP wants

as far as takes longer... what is a couple seconds of set-up when you're going for tripod shots?

BH-40 works very well with tele's from personal experience, RRS is very conservative in recommendations

Hey, whatever... but it would appear that the 24L is more of what the OP is looking for.

My suggestion is to order the 24L but tell them at RRS what your situation is. I think they will be accommodating if you tell them in advance and of course do not damage the goods. If you find the 24L a/o the BH-40 doesn't suit you then return it for the upgrade. I don't think you'll be disappointed though, it's very sturdy!

I'd get the three sections per leg over the four.  Just too many things to tighten up and slow to use.  Actually, I'd like 2 sections per leg, but no one seems to make a CF one short of maybe wood which also might be nice, although a lot heavier.  If you need to go lower than the less legs provide (3 vs. 4), just splay the legs outward from the yoke since they do that.  Three section may dampen some vibes over the four section too.  Only advantage would be packing size being shorter, but that's about it for the four section legs.

As to the head, if you are planning on using a 500mm go for the larger BH-55.  They spec their BH-40 out to 200mm so a 500mm might be pushing the weight.  The BH-55 being heavier, works well for gimbal mounts with a 500mm too.  I use the BH55 with a Wimberley Sidekick (gimbal) and it is a nice combo, other than the pain of screwing the clamp knob forever to clamp the lens plate in the Wimberley vs. the quicker cam lever lock on the BH-55 head that I use.

SG

dwswager

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 11:32:17 am »

My suggestion is to order the 24L but tell them at RRS what your situation is. I think they will be accommodating if you tell them in advance and of course do not damage the goods. If you find the 24L a/o the BH-40 doesn't suit you then return it for the upgrade. I don't think you'll be disappointed though, it's very sturdy!

Call RRS.  Talk to them and tell them what you plan to do with the tripod, how you will use it and with what equipment.  They will try to get you into the best option for you based on their knowledge and use of the products.  When I was buying, the rep stated that the 24L was perfrectly suitable for my needs and equipment.  Then he went on to address my comments concerning not carrying it for extended periods of time (weight and size less of an issue) and doing extra long exposures (stability a real premium).  He indicated that while the 2 series was perfectly capable, he would recommend the 3 series for the extra stability.

Note also that due to the offset leg configuration and apex size and design, these tend to be significantly smaller diameter than similar Gitzo pods.    I think once you get into the 3 series Gitzo systematics that the apex is 90mm and the non offset legs make the apex end when folded really big around.  A comparably stable RRS is much sleeker to pack and carry.  I almost went with a Gitzo Mountaineer because they had a $200 rebate when I was buying, but 90% of the time I didn't want the center column so I went RRS and bought the center column for the times it is handy (when I get roped into shooting a crap load of head and shoulder shots of school groups or sports teams or when I'm doing studio portraits.)

chbla

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 01:30:35 pm »

I'm not in the US, so that would be difficult.

Anyway, I will get the 24L now, I'm a bit unsure about the Ballhead.
The BH-40 would be the perfect choice though, the 55 is a bit too heavy.. and although the Arca Swiss geared
ones are of course nice, they are simply too expensive..

The biggest problem is how to get this thing to Austria, that's some 250$ toll, etc in addition :(

chbla

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 01:58:49 pm »

CptZar

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 04:11:29 pm »

One of those

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/sc.26/category.3553/it.C/.f

You can fix that head directly to you tripod. No second clamp as shown in the pictures needed.

I use the PC Pro with a BH-40 Ballhead.
With a 500mm lens the 34L might be a better choice. This is very solid tripod. Only 400g heavier than the 24L. It is really fun to work with.

In Austria check
http://www.augenblicke-eingefangen.de/catalog/index.php

Cheers
Jan  
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 07:12:13 pm by CptZar »

UdoinDesert

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 12:07:45 am »

I'm not in the US, so that would be difficult.

Anyway, I will get the 24L now, I'm a bit unsure about the Ballhead.
The BH-40 would be the perfect choice though, the 55 is a bit too heavy.. and although the Arca Swiss geared
ones are of course nice, they are simply too expensive..

The biggest problem is how to get this thing to Austria, that's some 250$ toll, etc in addition :(

There is a shop in Germany offering RRS stuff. So no additional TAX/VAT within the EU:

https://www.augenblicke-eingefangen.de/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=29&products_id=2892&osCsid=698cf5f52a7e3f030cc0e2348c08f248&anc=y#pic

Regards,
Udo

UdoinDesert

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 12:29:25 am »

Hi there,

I have two questions:

After schlepping my Gitzo series 5 tripod for a while I decided to go light weight for my city tours and purchased a TVC-24 plus a BH-40 ball head. So I cannot comment on the ..L version. The combo is very well made but e.g. for long time exposures only suitable if the fourth leg section is not being used and if there is no wind. I am talking about a Nikon pro body with let say a 50mm lens attached being attached to that combo. The legs on this tripod are way too flexible and not really usable on slippery surfaces. In the end I wanted to go for the TVC-3 series, but unfortunately it was out of stock when needed. So I went for a Gitzo 3 series combined with BH-55 head. That tripod worked very well even in Iceland's windy conditions.

Udo

chbla

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 11:55:48 am »

Thanks!

I didn't read many reviews/comments yet claiming that it is not stable enough.. so I think I will get it

Regarding the BH, I have a BH-25 for mirrorless, with screw - but I'm not sure if there is a big difference to the lever..

dwswager

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 08:52:04 pm »

Thanks!

I didn't read many reviews/comments yet claiming that it is not stable enough.. so I think I will get it

Regarding the BH, I have a BH-25 for mirrorless, with screw - but I'm not sure if there is a big difference to the lever..

RRS trippods have been are very stable.  Of course, it all depends on how and where you set it up.  I have the 34L and it is a little overkill for most of my equipment, but I do extremely long exposures so I went conservative.

The lever clamps are faster, have a half open position that allows the plates to slide, but not pop out.  Unfortunately, you can't adjust the clamping force so some non standard plates might not clamp tight.  I prefer the knob clamps because it can be clamped down tight and I have a fear (irrational or not) of dumping my gear all over the ground.  I have a panning clamp with knob and it makes making minor adjustments of the nodal slide or focusing rail easier, IMHO!  RRS says that Levers out sell the knobs 4-1.

chbla

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 04:16:40 am »

RRS trippods have been are very stable.  Of course, it all depends on how and where you set it up.  I have the 34L and it is a little overkill for most of my equipment, but I do extremely long exposures so I went conservative.

The lever clamps are faster, have a half open position that allows the plates to slide, but not pop out.  Unfortunately, you can't adjust the clamping force so some non standard plates might not clamp tight.  I prefer the knob clamps because it can be clamped down tight and I have a fear (irrational or not) of dumping my gear all over the ground.  I have a panning clamp with knob and it makes making minor adjustments of the nodal slide or focusing rail easier, IMHO!  RRS says that Levers out sell the knobs 4-1.

Hmm.. isn't the lever clamp a screw that you can tighten?
I though it looks like this on the images: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id.4109/.f?sc=26&category=568

If this cannot be tightened then it's a no-go for me

dwswager

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 07:16:39 pm »

Hmm.. isn't the lever clamp a screw that you can tighten?
I though it looks like this on the images: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id.4109/.f?sc=26&category=568

If this cannot be tightened then it's a no-go for me

As always, I recommend you call RRS as they are extremely helpful and eager to please.  But they will tell you that neither the travel, nor the clamping force can be adjusted on the lever clamps.  They are designed to work properly with RRS and other brands if they followed the original Arca Swiss design.  Unfortunately there was never any specification for the Arca Swiss clamps and plates as Arca Swiss never attempted to leverage it.  In fact, they are doing all they can to supplant the original style clamps and plates with a different design.

I know people that have Sunwayfoto accessories that sometimes don't clamp as tight as they would like in the lever clamps.  I use nothing but RRS knob clamps.  In fact, the 1st piece of RRS gear I ever bought was a knob replacement for my Arca Swiss B1 ballhead that has a spring in it and you can undo the tension that holds the knob in place so it will just spin freely with know worries of accidentally unscrewing the clamp.

shadowblade

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 05:52:54 am »

I use a TVC-34L and Arca-Swiss Cube head combination. It's not light, but a combination of high-resolution bodies, long exposure times, shooting in adverse weather conditions and sometimes shooting landscapes with long lenses means the stability comes in handy.

Of course, I try not to carry it myself in the wilderness - that's what llamas, yaks, camels, horses and porters are for!

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 07:08:26 am »

Hi,

TVC-33S and Arca-Swiss D4 for me. Folded length was important for me.

Best regards
Erik

I use a TVC-34L and Arca-Swiss Cube head combination. It's not light, but a combination of high-resolution bodies, long exposure times, shooting in adverse weather conditions and sometimes shooting landscapes with long lenses means the stability comes in handy.

Of course, I try not to carry it myself in the wilderness - that's what llamas, yaks, camels, horses and porters are for!
Erik Kaffehr

Mark Muse

• http://www.markmusephotographs.com
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 01:07:45 pm »

I have the RRS 24L. I also have a Gitzo 1325 and several lightweight Feisol tripods and a monopod. I too do a lot of hiking with my kit and shoot up to 300mm as well.
• The 24L is a beast, but a very well made one. Get the long spikes (4 inches), they are very helpful in the landscape, even on rock. But they are heavy. In my 65-year-old aging frame opinion, this rig is a bit heavy for trecking.
• The Gitzo 1325 I managed to destroy in about 3 years.
• The Feisol's are really well made and should not be overlooked. I think they are as well made as the RRS stuff, and the price is considerably less. But I must say that I have not used their heavier legs, but have no reason to believe they are not just as well made and designed as the lighter weight stuff.
• Consider the Acratech ball heads. I am still using the one I originally purchased for the Gitzo years ago. It is like brand new and doing an outstanding job. It is also very light weight for the stability it provides.

chbla

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 10:28:57 am »

I didn't have time to buy one within the last months, but now changed my mind again and finally came to a decision :)

After some more thinking I decided to get the TVC-23 with BH-40.
I think it's the best of both worlds, I'm only 8cm below eye level with this combination and I think it is perfect for hiking. Lighter than the 24L.

What I'm asking myself now is: I've got the Canon 500/f4 and would like to do some nature photography eventually, or try it.
The question is if I can use a Wimberley Sidekick with the BH-40 and this lens, or if I can use a normal Wimberley Head with the TVC-23..

Or a RRS Monopod for the 500/f4.. or a ground tripod.. I guess I need a lot of money :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up