Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: medium format digital rangefinder  (Read 1494 times)

michaelbiondo

• http://michael@michaelbiondo.com
medium format digital rangefinder
« on: October 28, 2014, 08:11:13 am »

This rumor has me interested, especially if one could pop it on to the back something like the cambo actus.

Has any one have any additional info?

http://photorumors.com/2014/10/24/more-details-on-the-rumored-sonyzeiss-and-mamiya-medium-format-digital-rangefinder-cameras/

mbaginy

Re: medium format digital rangefinder
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 10:33:08 am »

This is the first I've heard of such a rumor.  That would be a nice camera for traveling (relatively) light.  I hope it's kept simple, a menu similar to the Leica M9.  I'd like to see some manner os adding of removing features (capabilities).  Example: I don't need video - others surely will.

I loved the Mamiya 6 and would enjoy medium format in that size.  But then, should such cameras really be marketed, price will probably have a major impact on how well they sell.  Pentax's MF will probably be a benchmark, despite the camera type differences.

How about a MF Fujifilm similar to the X-Pro1.  Even a MF with fixed lens would be interesting - like a larger X100.

And I hope they keep "X" out of the name.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 10:58:43 pm »

These rumours have been around for a while, and are completely delicious. They are also of somewhat low probability, and I say that as someone who has never found I camera I loved in the digital era the way the Mamiya 6 and Fuji 690s held my heart. 

To be meaningfully useful, these cameras will also have to be EVF-based, as you just won't get sufficient focus accuracy on a traditional RF to make use of the ultra high-res.

But who knows, maybe there's a miracle in the offing.  Personally, I think a 46-54MP 35mm Sony-cam is what's in the offing.  A9r or something like that.

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 11:09:26 pm »

These rumours have been around for a while, and are completely delicious. They are also of somewhat low probability, and I say that as someone who has never found I camera I loved in the digital era the way the Mamiya 6 and Fuji 690s held my heart. 

To be meaningfully useful, these cameras will also have to be EVF-based, as you just won't get sufficient focus accuracy on a traditional RF to make use of the ultra high-res.

But who knows, maybe there's a miracle in the offing.  Personally, I think a 46-54MP 35mm Sony-cam is what's in the offing.  A9r or something like that.

- N.

My evaluation is that something is coming. The japanese have always loved MF folders and rangefinders in their domestic market.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 11:57:46 pm »

They might use the same trick as in the Panasonic LX100 to get multiple aspects and in particular superwide images out of a fairly compact construction *without* full crop-MF coverage, yielding a smallish camera that is an MF hybrid in a way. I haven't worked it out, but I think a standard 35mm lens might suffice. Maybe Leica will make a super-M too.

Edmund

Image above linked from cameralabs review of LX100 (fair use, technical explanatory material).

Edmund
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:06:40 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: [1]   Go Up