Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't import Sony A7 Tiffs from Capture 1 into Lightroom  (Read 2468 times)

pflower

Can't import Sony A7 Tiffs from Capture 1 into Lightroom
« on: October 27, 2014, 04:28:09 pm »

I downloaded Capture One's Sony Express software to try on my A7.  I can generate Tiffs from it with no problem.  These are 16 bit Tiffs in Adobe RGB colour space.  They open happily in Photoshop and in Mac Preview and seem perfectly normal tiff files, but I cannot import them into Lightroom.  If I try to do so I get the normal import screen with the photos shown. I make sure that they are all checked and then click on the import button.  I get a bar in the top left of the LR screen saying that it is importing files from their original location but no photos are imported and LR hangs.  If I then cancel the import task from the top left bar by clicking on the red x, the import options are greyed out from the File menu.

If I then save one of the tiffs in Photoshop under a different name (i.e. DSC0xxx-2.tif) then that imports without a problem.

I am still running LR 4.4 on Mac OSX 10.9.5.

Clearly it would appear that there is something odd about the tiff files exported by Capture 1.  Same problem if I export from Capture 1 as an 8 bit tiff. 

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions? 

mlewis

Re: Can't import Sony A7 Tiffs from Capture 1 into Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 05:15:49 am »

Sounds like Capture One is doing something to the files that LR doesn't like.  As saving the TIF in PS lets LR import the file I would just be opening the files in PS and saving them.  It would be annoying but it works.

Do you have to save as a new file or will it work if you just hit save?

If you are using this software just to get the Sony files in LR 4 why not use the latest DNG converter from Adobe to convert the Sony files to DNG which can then be imported into LR.

pflower

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 07:04:01 am »

My workflow to date has been exactly that - convert to dng and then work on the files in LR.  But since Phase One have kindly released a version of Capture 1 for the Sony for free I thought I would try it out particularly since so many enthuse about C1's superior colour rendition.  I am not particularly interested in the minutiae of the technical aspects of all of this but the discovery that LR can't import what looks like a bog standard tiff whilst an old version of Photoshop has no problems with it, aroused my curiosity.  And I have noted that you do indeed have to "save as" in order to get the file into LR.  Working on a file and then saving it in Photoshop doesn't help.

Mind you 16 bit tiffs from come out at 134MB so unless there are very clear advantages I suspect that I will continue with the dngs until I upgrade to a version of LR that deals with the A7.

Sounds like Capture One is doing something to the files that LR doesn't like.  As saving the TIF in PS lets LR import the file I would just be opening the files in PS and saving them.  It would be annoying but it works.

Do you have to save as a new file or will it work if you just hit save?

If you are using this software just to get the Sony files in LR 4 why not use the latest DNG converter from Adobe to convert the Sony files to DNG which can then be imported into LR.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 07:24:01 am »

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions? 

See this post.

pflower

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 06:57:59 am »

Ah, thank you I missed that thread.  And I did in fact do some searches with google before posting but somehow failed to find this answer.

Now I am going to have to spend some time learning C1 since I am clearly failing to get keywords into my exports.

Thanks

See this post.
Pages: [1]   Go Up