Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cliffhanger (Moab)  (Read 2627 times)

James Clark

Cliffhanger (Moab)
« on: October 27, 2014, 03:00:30 pm »

Spent the last two weekends working in Santa Fe, NM and Denver, CO, so I spend the intervening week in and around the Moab area.   Beautiful weather, beautiful country.  Stopped into The Edge Gallery as well a Tom Till's space.  I have no idea if Till is on these forums, but I know Bret is - so thanks for the inspiration! :)

This is "Cliffhanger."

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 03:55:15 pm by James Clark »

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Cliffhanger (Moab)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 07:19:35 pm »

Stunning photo - colours and view.

I am looking forward to the day, still some years off, when I can spend two weeks working in that kind of environment. Not to say I haven't had opportunities elsewhere, but despite that region of the U.S. being photographed so heavily, it still seems to have lots of potential.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:22:02 pm »

Hey James - Thanks for stopping into our gallery and for mentioning us here.  I'm glad you were inspired by my photographs.  It means a lot to me to know that other photographers enjoy my work.

I love the foreground in your photo. Those lines drive my eye right into the background, where I find those killer sunlit cliffs.  Really nice work!

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 09:50:06 pm »

First-rate composition.

sierraman

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 10:14:13 pm »

Very nice indeed! Looks like Dead Horse Point?   :)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 05:00:39 am »

There is a lot to see and explore visually in this photo. The curving lines of the foreground, contrasting with the horizontal layers in the background. The warmth of the light on the cliffs, nice work. And the panoramic crop works very well.

francois

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 06:51:42 am »

Congrats, it's not always easy to find new images in this location. Light is sumptuous and details are everywhere, from the foreground to the very nice sky.
Francois

Richard Pearlman

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 07:15:41 am »

I agree with all of the positive things people have been saying. Wonderful light, good colors, nice foreground, very sharp. However, I find the orange rock to the right most part of the frame distracting. I wish you would have included more space to the right of this area. With it up against the edge of the frame, it feels a little constricted and is pulling my eye out of frame.

James Clark

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 10:59:19 am »

Thanks for all the kind comments on the color and composition!

Lux - yes, the hardest part was figuring out where to go with my limited time.  I only had two days, really, so I just sort of hit the highlights.  I missed Cedar Mesa, the weather was not ideal for something like Shiprock, and there are a literal ton of other sites in the general vicinity that I could have easily dedicated a whole day to alone.

Bret - I did very much enjoy your gallery.  Downtown Moab, such as it is, is a neat little place and your space fits in perfectly :)

Sierraman - yes, Dead Horse Point, a few hundred yards from the actual built "overlook" station.  Lots of great foreground elements to be found there.

Richard - I hear what you're saying.  Looking at my RAWS, I'm not sure there's much I could do now except downplay that light in post, and I'm not sure the loss of impact would be worth the benefit in focus, but it's definitely worth consideration :)

Dave Pluimer

• Dave Pluimer Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 08:41:09 am »

Love the crop, colors, and how the tones go from medium to bright to darker. My only nit is that I'd like the shrub a bit closer.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 04:27:29 pm »

The composition is wonderful.  I feel as if the glow on the hills could use a little less saturation and perhaps a touch of sharpening.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.
Pages: [1]   Go Up