Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with basic tutorial and set up  (Read 1016 times)

huguito

Need help with basic tutorial and set up
« on: October 27, 2014, 01:36:52 pm »

I have been using Photoshop and Bridge forever, very comfortable with.
The main reason I want to give Lightroom a try is the print module, seems a far simpler solution than what I normally do to get the 9600 to spit a paper with pretty colors on it.

Can anyone recommend a simple and comprehensive guide to learn the basics on Lightroom? I just started and I find myself hitting some obstacles, evidently I am doing something wrong with the basic setup

Anyone willing to share his/her set up and preferences?

I don't do this for a living, never had to process a large number of pictures, but I do an extensive amount of work to the pictures I chose to print.

My printing is done on a Epson 9600, half in Baryta papers,half on Fine Art papers, all in Photo black ink using my own profiles.

Thanks in advance for your help

Hugo

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Re: Need help with basic tutorial and set up
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 02:41:22 pm »

Hi Hugo

This site offers downloadable video tutorials at a reasonable cost.  LR will take a while to get to grips with but well worth the effort.

Jim

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 02:55:36 pm »

The Luminous Landscape New User’s Introduction to Lightroom 4, click the videos tab on the LuLa home screen.  Basics haven’t changed a lot from 4 to 5, only $20.

After that, may want to also watch Luminous Landscape’s Advanced Guide to Lightroom 5

LuLa’s videos are comprehensive and the way they are presented seems to be more watchable, not sure what I mean by that, other than they don’t put me to sleep like most videos which tend to be dry and monotonous (this from someone who as done several videos, most of which are dry and monotonous).

There’s many other resources out there, some free, others not.   Julianne Kost’s videos, are well done, and pretty short, each one focusing on a different topic.  Often they are more about “what’s new”, but sometimes that helps.

Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 04:06:37 pm »

I would most definitely add in the latest iteration of "Camera to Print and Screen"!

Tony Jay

huguito

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 05:34:12 pm »

Hi guys
Thanks for the replays
I have a recently renew subscription to linda.com and the Scott Kelby book for Lightroom.
Seems like the editing part is very similar to ACR that I use all the time.
I just for some reason can't get the setting up of the catalog right.
The one I just did, has about 40,000 pictures more than the amount I know I have.
And the previews have not finish generating after over a day.
Maybe I need to remove lightroom and all related files and do a new clean and fresh installation and setup.

What about setup and preferences? Anyone has a specific set that works better than the defaults?

RogerW

• http://www.rogerwalton.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 05:55:52 am »

For the organisation part, take a look at Peter Krogh's "Organising your photos with Lightroom 5 - get it via the http://thedambook.com/ site.
Pages: [1]   Go Up