Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lens protector filter?  (Read 739 times)

rolei

lens protector filter?
« on: October 27, 2014, 06:09:18 am »

What do you reckon would be the best lens protector filter for a Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II usm?
what should i look for when buying filters?

Thank you

spidermike

Re: lens protector filter?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 10:47:43 am »

The lens hood.

I use protective filters (mainly Hoya) but have become less and less rigorous about using them unless I am somewhere like the beach with the salt spray flying everywhere or in a windy, dusty environment.
But using them is purely personal choice with some saying they degrade image quality (I haven't noticed myself if I use high-quality ones). Discussions can get quite heated to which my feeling is if the answer was so clear cut there would be no discussion.

Colorado David

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 10:59:36 am »

I use protective filters in chemical environments such as refineries, when photographing welding, around aircraft, and a couple other circumstances I can't remember off the top of my head.  Otherwise, it is just another reflective surface.  I won't join the image quality debate.  It's just my opinion.  So I guess the best answer is it depends.

Some Guy

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 11:01:26 am »

I don't use them due to flare which cost me a re-shoot on a second day.  But if I were, I'd look at the new Marumi.  http://www.2filter.com/marumi/Marumi_Exus.html

A filter moves the glass ahead of the front element and it can peak out under one of the petals of the lens hood and then flare trouble strikes.  Some thin ones can actually touch the front element and scratch the center of it (per "Lens Rentals" blogs) too so watch out!

SG
Pages: [1]   Go Up