Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: CRASH  (Read 17762 times)

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
CRASH
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2005, 12:30:39 pm »

Well, I'm done arguing...think what you will, it doesn't change a thing.

kaelaria

CRASH
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2005, 12:51:44 pm »

OK one more - couldn't resist!  I did a reload without my raid driver...Youre' right, this is really a file copy error screen!  ROTF!        

[attachment=42:attachment]
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 12:51:59 pm by kaelaria »

DarkPenguin

CRASH
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2005, 01:06:25 pm »

Would someone step in and tell him he's right?  I can't do it but he sure seems to want that affirmation.

Different error.

Why don't you find an old intel 440BX based motherboard that lets you "prove" it works?

I said it earlier.  The driver and hardware have to be mismatched.  It isn't that the driver simply doesn't exist.

kaelaria

CRASH
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2005, 01:20:08 pm »

Oooh I see....so now it's 'mismatched' hardware and the stock driver...even though there is no such thing as a 440BX standalone win2k IDE boot driver

Keep grabbing, but you're running out of straws  

DarkPenguin

CRASH
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2005, 01:30:24 pm »

I've stayed on message.  The only question I had was what would happen if you tried a raid card without drivers.  You've answered that for your raid.

This was my previous message.

If the hardware is correct then you do not need additional drivers. One of the problems with achieving this is that windows drivers list a set of hardware IDs that they are compatable with. Microsoft takes compatable to mean will absolutely positively work with that piece of hardware. If the hardware isn't correct or the drivers listed something they do not work with it will not work. So if a vendor puts out a driver to work with all their IDE chips from now until the end of time they better be sure. This is kind of why you'll see it look like it is going to work only to have it fail. Because windows thinks it has a driver that will work.

DarkPenguin

CRASH
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2005, 01:33:01 pm »

Oooh I see....so now it's 'mismatched' hardware and the stock driver...even though there is no such thing as a 440BX standalone win2k IDE boot driver

What?  That wouldn't prove your case?  I thought that would be ideal for you.  And about as valid as your last test.

kaelaria

CRASH
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2005, 01:38:13 pm »

Show me a SINGLE case where this has happened - go ahead, google, search all the forums you can find - show me where a 440BX (or any for that matter) IDE controller was not properly supported by the default driver and gave errors after install.  Just one.  It's such a big issue and you seem to be the expert (hehe), why it should be very easy for you!  Come on...one link...

What you are saying is 100% pure BS.  You're either terribly confused or just completely full of it.

One example...that's all it takes.  If what you say is true, it will have been discussed for over 7 YEARS on the net and archived everywhere in discussions/support/FAQ/tech bulletins, etc.

I know you won't find squat.

DarkPenguin

CRASH
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2005, 01:53:00 pm »

Show me a SINGLE case where this has happened - go ahead, google, search all the forums you can find - show me where a 440BX (or any for that matter) IDE controller was not properly supported by the default driver and gave errors after install.  Just one.  It's such a big issue and you seem to be the expert (hehe), why it should be very easy for you!  Come on...one link...

What you are saying is 100% pure BS.  You're either terribly confused or just completely full of it.

One example...that's all it takes.  If what you say is true, it will have been discussed for over 7 YEARS on the net and archived everywhere in discussions/support/FAQ/tech bulletins, etc.

I know you won't find squat.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=52592\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Exactly!  I've said nothing different.  For the 440bx it would always work!  Isn't that the perfect proof for you?  Doing something you know will work?  Like I said, it would be just as valid as your other test.

I'm done with this.  You're in my ignore user list.  I suggest you put me in yours.

DarkPenguin

CRASH
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2005, 02:09:28 pm »

I almost forgot.

I appologize to the community and the site owner/operators for my behavior.  Getting snotty with people is hardly the norm on this site.  I should respect that.

Andres Bonilla

CRASH
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2005, 02:09:40 pm »

Ok, all the tech talk is getting a bit confused but thank you for taking interest in the matter. Last night I tried the reformatting out of my trusted cd rom with a new set of errors, even a spanish one  ole.dll  After a bunch of these including one with imaging system 32 etc ( I am at work but I have the errors written ) I was asked to reboot but now something is missing that prevents Windows to load up. Here is my thing, my computer always worked with my HD's and my Via motherboard, I have always been told that my power supply is more than capable of running my box. I do not have a RAID configuration and my computer worked flawesly until he installed the DVD DRIVE. Could it be that something got zapped? The drivers that came with the computer were compatible with everything for 4 years, why would the drivers be an issue now? Could something be out of place inside the computer?
I may have to call an engineer because if I can get the computer to even reboot how could I check for Bios and all that? Not I know how

kaelaria

CRASH
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2005, 02:13:49 pm »

As I said the drivers are not part of your issue.

While the power supply sticker on the side may say it has enough wattage for your system, that really doesn't mean a thing.  Even if it IS a high quality unit (most are labelled high wattage but are utter crap inside), putting out true power - it will still go bad after a few years.  Often I see this when equipment is changed like adding or changing drives, yes.  When the power load changes, it can cause the unit to go over the edge.  Sometimes all it even takes is physical movement or unplugging things.  

I stand my my original suggestions for troubleshooting.

If you were around Tampa I would give you a unit to swap in and test!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 02:14:50 pm by kaelaria »

kaelaria

CRASH
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2005, 02:26:04 pm »

Here's a good example of why power supplies are important and should not be skimped on.

The wattage rating is only part of what you look for with a good PS unit.

On the left is a cheap 400w PS, Award brand.  On the right is a Thermaltake 430w.

Notice the additional and larger windings, coils and capacitors, along with 2x the heatsink area and additional fan.  All this means purer power, holding at a true voltage spec with more equipment connected, with fewer power dips and spikes during use - and that it will last significantly longer before burning out.

never, ever - skimp on a PS unit.  When in doubt, hit the popular PC forums for recommended brand names - there are always 6-8 brands offering exceptional build quality, and they really aren't that expensive.  I just bought a 700w unit with all the bells and whistles for $109.  This Thermaltake 430 watt (good for the vast majority of systems) is only $40.
[attachment=44:attachment]

DarkPenguin

CRASH
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2005, 02:35:09 pm »

Ok, all the tech talk is getting a bit confused but thank you for taking interest in the matter. Last night I tried the reformatting out of my trusted cd rom with a new set of errors, even a spanish one  ole.dll  After a bunch of these including one with imaging system 32 etc ( I am at work but I have the errors written ) I was asked to reboot but now something is missing that prevents Windows to load up. Here is my thing, my computer always worked with my HD's and my Via motherboard, I have always been told that my power supply is more than capable of running my box. I do not have a RAID configuration and my computer worked flawesly until he installed the DVD DRIVE. Could it be that something got zapped? The drivers that came with the computer were compatible with everything for 4 years, why would the drivers be an issue now? Could something be out of place inside the computer?
I may have to call an engineer because if I can get the computer to even reboot how could I check for Bios and all that? Not I know how
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=52602\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The short answer would be that after reinstall you no longer had those drivers in the system.  I'm not saying it is your issue but it has been mine in the past.

Does your video card require a power connection from the power supply?  If so is it still connected?  Most current cards will not run if they do not have their extra power but I've one that would do all the text mode stuff fine.

Are all your IDE cables connected tightly?

Is the DVD drive on the same cable as the hard disk?  If so are the master/slave settings correct?

Did your hard disk come with a utility to test your drive?  If so you might want to run that.  It isn't impossible that it got fried.

If you still have trouble installing you could also try to "dumb down" the IDE settings for your hard disk.  It can make install take forever but sometimes it keeps the default driver from trying to run a mode it really isn't capable of.

And power supplies can go bad.

When changing something like a DVD drive you should unplug the machine but leave your monitor connected.  That way you have no power going to the motherboard but still have a ground through the video cable.

kaelaria

CRASH
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2005, 02:50:04 pm »

The short answer would be that after reinstall you no longer had those drivers in the system.  I'm not saying it is your issue but it has been mine in the past.

Ignore that.

Does your video card require a power connection from the power supply?  If so is it still connected?  Most current cards will not run if they do not have their extra power but I've one that would do all the text mode stuff fine.

Ignore that too - for those video cards that require a power connection, you don't get a screen at all, and they beep - if you leave off the power wire.  Not even related to your issue.

Are all your IDE cables connected tightly?

Again, ignore.  The drive would not work at all if the cable was loose.

Is the DVD drive on the same cable as the hard disk?  If so are the master/slave settings correct?

Again...if the jumpers were improperly set, first of all the new drive would not even be recognized.  2nd, your original drive would still work.  3rd, the hard drive would not be effected as far as errors.  Not related.

Did your hard disk come with a utility to test your drive?  If so you might want to run that.  It isn't impossible that it got fried.

As I already suggested.

If you still have trouble installing you could also try to "dumb down" the IDE settings for your hard disk.  It can make install take forever but sometimes it keeps the default driver from trying to run a mode it really isn't capable of.

Complete non-sense, see above.  Ignore.

And power supplies can go bad.

As I already suggested.

When changing something like a DVD drive you should unplug the machine but leave your monitor connected.  That way you have no power going to the motherboard but still have a ground through the video cable.

I don't know what world this guy lives on, but I bet the sky is a pretty shade of green!  Ignore.  Nonsense...utter nonsense.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=52608\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Andres Bonilla

CRASH
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2005, 03:29:21 pm »

Oh boy!! I am in trouble! I would not know how to change the power supply or swap it, I will call this guy and see if he can do something about it, otherwise I may have to pay to have a  computer guru to fix this mess.

Mike Bailey

• http://bluerockphotography.com
CRASH
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2005, 03:16:12 pm »

Andres,

Another possibility is that when the DVD was installed, the controller cable for the hard drive(s) was crimped, nicking one of the edges so that you might be getting intermittent failure.  You should also check to make sure none of the cards or other cable connections, like to the DVD drive are loose or not firmly seated.

Not very exotic, but one of the first things to check before doing anything else.  Even though I've installed any number of things in computers for years, I still manage to inadvertently jiggle something loose once in awhile and not notice it until the computer itself complains.

Mike
Mike Bailey
[url=http://bluerockp

Andres Bonilla

CRASH
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2005, 09:13:36 pm »

Mike, tomorrow a technician is going home to check on the computer but his first suggestion was that....a jumper cable got unplugged, moved or damaged. I hope is something fixable and not a permanent damage.

Andres

Trig

CRASH
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2006, 05:24:30 am »

Mike, tomorrow a technician is going home to check on the computer but his first suggestion was that....a jumper cable got unplugged, moved or damaged. I hope is something fixable and not a permanent damage.

Andres
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=52716\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To be honest, that sounds a little dumb. The technician sounds like hes spouting jargon at you.

OK... after all the flaming that took up most of this thread and didnt actually help Andres, i thought i'd register and hopefully provide some insight.

Let me just get one thing straight, i dont care which of you is right, which of you has been on the internet longest and which of you knows the most about computers. Its not the question here is it.

OK Andres, our house has about 6-7 pcs networked, including a few linux servers, this isnt relevant but what is, is the fact when 1 of these machines started blue-screening i decided to reinstall the machine... maybe its registry had corrupted or something.

This machine has particularly old hardware (1ghz athlon with old style 133mhz dimms) so, all should be good. Anyway, i was installing off the cd, and i received the same sort of errors, that files were missing, but you could still skip through the installation hitting return.

OK.. i thought maybe one of two things... maybe some files were being cached in physical memory then paged to the disk after a partition had been created (not sure if it does this, but i tried replacing the ram anyway).. no change on the installation...

I decided to call it a night, and the next day thought i'd try it again out of curiousity. Strangely enough it installed ok.. no errors.. Booted up fine, installed hardware, rebooted.. BSOD.. reboot, boots fine.. 10 mins later.. BSOD.
So i thought what else could it be... so i reboot the machine once again to find my SYSTEM and SOFTWARE registry are BOTH corrupt.

It was the Hard Disk Drive! It was paging stuff to the page file and unable to retrieve it properly causing these BSOD's, also when it saved the registry changes after modifications it was corrupting the registry. Now faulty ram could cause this also so thats why initially i went in that direction.

The machine has been fine since, no BSOD's, and its the machines the idiots in our house use, so its full of spyware too!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up