Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digitize color negatives with Sony A7r and converting with LR5 best practice?  (Read 1839 times)

jsch

Hi,

I used to use Silverfast to scan color negatives. But with great success I use the Sony A7r to digitize black and white and transparencies. But with color negative film my success is limited. Is there a best practice. What are your experiences.

What I usually do: white balance outside of the image frame or on anything white in the image frame, invert the curve, try to adjust the colors, usually with limited success (so I often convert to black and white). But I would like to keep the color.

What are you doing? Thank you.

Best,
Johannes

AFairley

I don't have experience in this area (just digitize chromes with the D800E) but I wonder if you could shoot a reference frame of blank film base and use it with the LR Flat Field plugin to remove the color cast before you invert.

headmj

See the recent article on this topic in LL

SZRitter

Do you have access to Photoshop? I have found LR not really suitable for the task, but a combo of LR and Photoshop to be perfect. Basically, my method is similar to the Photoshop one in the article, but with a few differences.

For mask removal, I take a copy of the image (cropped without frame borders) and blur apply blur > average to that layer. Invert this layer, then set it to something like soft light or vivid light. This should remove the bulk of the cast, assuming you don't have an image with a particular color through all of the frame. You could also probably get a library of colors to mask with based off of film type. That said, it may or may not lead to more time spent color correcting than the article mentioned. The cropping also allows you to (assuming you imported into PS as a smart object) adjust your black and white clip points to the negative itself.

Of course, this partially falls apart if you are stitching, unless someone can tell me how to stitch two+ RAW files together....
Pages: [1]   Go Up