Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

D300/D700 what are we whining about...why not the D810?

(1/3) > >>

dwswager:
Assumptions

* Nikon will not release another new DX 'pro' camera.  DX will be for 'Enthusiast' line and down.
* The first 24MP FX 'pro' camera will be a D5.  Why the D750 ended up in the Enthusiast line with the Idiot Dial interface.
I was a long time D300 shooter.  I have long lamented the lack of a D400 in a similar way that D700 shooters have lamented and upgrade for that camera.  I moved from a N90s to the D300 which both had the button interface of the 'pro' line cameras. I finally 'sidegraded' to the D7100 and find the performance pretty good, but handling an issue. 

Given the assumptions above (that might be wrong), there won't be a D300 upgrade of any kind and any D700 update (24MP Pro type camera at a reasonable price point) is probably a long time coming.  Then why is the D800 not a valid upgrade path for you?  I've looked at the specs (some below) and realistically, the D810 will work for me. 

* It's a little heavier than D300, but lighter than the D700
* It's about the same size as both, though a little thicker with the grip
* It gives 5fps at 36MP and 6fps at 15.6MP
* At 3299 it is significantly more expensive than the $2499 D300 in 2007, but adjusted for inflation not too bad.
* It gives me 6fps in DX mode at 15MPs in a size and weight similar to the D300.  For D700 shooters, wh
And there are a raft of other improvements rolled in.

BernardLanguillier:
The D810 is really an incredible camera. Having owned a D3 I know how sweet a camera the D3/D700 were/are, but the D810 is far ahead in pretty much everything it does except frame rate.

Now if you shoot mostly for the web or don't print larger than A4/A3 often, then keep the D700 by all means.

Cheers,
Bernard

PhotoEcosse:
Yep.

I was a late convert from film to digital and my first dSLR was a D80. "Upgrade" path was:

D80 - D300 - D3s - (upgrade/downgrade to) - D800 - D800 + D800E - D800E + D810.

The cameras just keep getting better, especially in terms of dynamic range, high-ISO performance and Raw quality. The new "Highlights Priority" metering mode on the D810 is staggeringly effective.

(The reason I "downgraded" from a D3s to a D800 was the combination of excessive bulh/weight of the D3s and the irresistible lure of 36Mp.)

dwswager:
I will revise this now.

Having shot the D810 and D7100 side by side in a complimentary fashion, not as backup, I can say I lament the lack of a D300 upgrade even more.  I think Nikon made the foolish assumption that DX was for consumers and low end enthusiasts and FX was for Pros and higher end enthusiasts.  That might have been true in the older days when raw pixel size was the clear determining factor for image quality.  At similar pixel count, the DX sensors just couldn't compete.  Now, with the much higher pixel counts of both sensors sizes and technology advances there can be image quality benefits to DX over FX.  In addition the DOF benefit and more pixels on target you can achieve with DX gives it an edge is certain situations.

I would (almost) give my left testicle for a D400 that included:

24MPs
8 fps at 14bit NEF
Buffer size to hold 32-40 14bit NEF
D810 'pro' style button interface body w/ similar sealing and durability

I sold the D7100 and am looking to purchase a D7200.  Sure 2 months after, the D400 will be announced!

--- Quote from: dwswager on October 25, 2014, 05:13:18 pm ---Assumptions

* Nikon will not release another new DX 'pro' camera.  DX will be for 'Enthusiast' line and down.
* The first 24MP FX 'pro' camera will be a D5.  Why the D750 ended up in the Enthusiast line with the Idiot Dial interface.
I was a long time D300 shooter.  I have long lamented the lack of a D400 in a similar way that D700 shooters have lamented and upgrade for that camera.  I moved from a N90s to the D300 which both had the button interface of the 'pro' line cameras. I finally 'sidegraded' to the D7100 and find the performance pretty good, but handling an issue. 

Given the assumptions above (that might be wrong), there won't be a D300 upgrade of any kind and any D700 update (24MP Pro type camera at a reasonable price point) is probably a long time coming.  Then why is the D800 not a valid upgrade path for you?  I've looked at the specs (some below) and realistically, the D810 will work for me. 

* It's a little heavier than D300, but lighter than the D700
* It's about the same size as both, though a little thicker with the grip
* It gives 5fps at 36MP and 6fps at 15.6MP
* At 3299 it is significantly more expensive than the $2499 D300 in 2007, but adjusted for inflation not too bad.
* It gives me 6fps in DX mode at 15MPs in a size and weight similar to the D300.  For D700 shooters, wh
And there are a raft of other improvements rolled in.
--- End quote ---

stamper:
Speaking as the owner of a broken D300 I fully feel your anguish. I have the D700 & D600 but still grieving over the death of the D300. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version