Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR  (Read 11456 times)

camner

Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 06:26:15 pm »

One of the the things I have found incredibly frustrating about how Apple's iCloud works is what it does to the file size (and therefore the pixel count) of images that it moves around.  As far as I can tell, Apple tries (quite successfully, I might add) to manage the space one has on one's devices by downsizing the image when it feels it needs to.

I discovered the hard way that the pixel count of an image that was taken by my wife's iPhone and shared via iCloud to my iPhone (and to my Mac) was NOT at the original size.  In addition, it mucked with the EXIF data. 

I found that the only way to guarantee that I had the original file size and original EXIF data was to transfer the image directly from the iDevice that took the image to my Mac. As suggested by someone in this thread, I purchased PhotoSync, which allows transfer via WiFi, and this was less cumbersome than using the cable and iTunes.

Through trial and error I also discovered that if someone has sent me an image via an iOS Message, the best way to get it off of the iPhone is to share it via email (tap once on the image in the message and then share), because this preserves EXIF data (though the pixel count is not as large as on the iDevice on which the original image was taken).

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 03:45:55 pm »

One of the the things I have found incredibly frustrating about how Apple's iCloud works is what it does to the file size (and therefore the pixel count) of images that it moves around.  As far as I can tell, Apple tries (quite successfully, I might add) to manage the space one has on one's devices by downsizing the image when it feels it needs to.

I discovered the hard way that the pixel count of an image that was taken by my wife's iPhone and shared via iCloud to my iPhone (and to my Mac) was NOT at the original size.  In addition, it mucked with the EXIF data. 

I found that the only way to guarantee that I had the original file size and original EXIF data was to transfer the image directly from the iDevice that took the image to my Mac. As suggested by someone in this thread, I purchased PhotoSync, which allows transfer via WiFi, and this was less cumbersome than using the cable and iTunes.

Through trial and error I also discovered that if someone has sent me an image via an iOS Message, the best way to get it off of the iPhone is to share it via email (tap once on the image in the message and then share), because this preserves EXIF data (though the pixel count is not as large as on the iDevice on which the original image was taken).

When you send a picture from an iPhone via e-mail you will be prompted for the size to send up to and including original size. Sending it via a message also full resolution is maintained and on the Mac you can add the images to the Photos application.

But as I mentioned if you want to get the pictures into Lightroom the easiest way is the cable connecting the iPhone and the Mac and then simply import. There are no other steps needed.

camner

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 05:53:23 pm »

When you send a picture from an iPhone via e-mail you will be prompted for the size to send up to and including original size. Sending it via a message also full resolution is maintained and on the Mac you can add the images to the Photos application.

But as I mentioned if you want to get the pictures into Lightroom the easiest way is the cable connecting the iPhone and the Mac and then simply import. There are no other steps needed.

Yes, but I don't always have access to the iPhone on which the image was captured.  If my daughter in Boston (I'm on the west coast of the US) takes a picture of my grandson and shares it either via text message or via iCloud Photo sharing, I get a reduced size image.  For an image shared via text message, I found the best approach was to tap the photo, and share it via email rather than saving the image on my own iDevice and sharing it via iCloud Photo Sharing

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 08:16:59 pm »

You can also use Airdrop. Just select the images on the phone, and send them to your laptop with Airdrop and you're done. The images are in the downloads folder and can be imported into LR just like any other files. For a large number of images, I agree that using the USB and treating the iPhone as an external hard drive is also quite simple.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 06:02:54 pm »

You can use the methods described (iCloud and import directly into an app) or you can use the Image Capture App in the Applications folder. There is a little icon down the bottom left that you click and then tell it what to do with the pics. Once set it should happen automatically.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Photo Op

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2015, 10:42:40 pm »

Check out Mylio in the Apple App Store. Stumbled upon it by accident. Simple but extremely powerful. Solves many of the issues discussed in this thread and More. Does what LR Mobile should but doesn't. With a little ingenuity you'll be amazed what you can do with it....and LR.
David
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up