Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPad Portfolio Presentation  (Read 1269 times)

wyo22ski

iPad Portfolio Presentation
« on: October 24, 2014, 03:47:21 pm »

Hello,

I just purchased a new iPad Air 32gb with the retina display to supplement my print portfolio.  I am wondering what app's people are using to show their high resolution digital images.  I've downloaded both Foliobooks and Portfolio for iPad and am both surprised and disappointed that they do not support very high resolution images (i.e., greater than 39mp).  I have not tried Portfolio Pro.

Alternatively, I can download a gigantic image from Dropbox, equivalent to 108mp, place it in the Photos app that comes pre-installed on the iPad very easily pinch zoom and switch images very quickly.  The visual interface is just not as slick.

The other apps barely support 22mp if that and are completely sluggish in comparison.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Cameron

AFairley

Re: iPad Portfolio Presentation
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 10:26:45 am »

The rule of thumb I have read for iPad presentation images is to downrez the images to 2x screen resolution.  Don't know how the math works out with your images.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 10:44:24 am »

I use Linkus's My Photos [also confusingly known as Private Photo] which I use to replace the execrable Photos  app that Apple provide on my iPad + iPhone. There's also the Photo Manager Pro variation which adds file transfer capabilities.
Unlike Photos, the app shows photos nicely in the order I want without jumping through complex hoops and are also shown in their entirety/correct aspect ratio. You can also do a slideshow with music. Simple and does the job very well. I don't see the need for fancy portfolio apps when all you need to do is organise and show images in succession. Either with or without music.
Images are shrunk to 1920px on long side and exported to a folder where I tell iTunes to look for photos. I then sync devices and import shots from Photos in and then delete folder off computer. Shots look great on phone/tablet. No point at all in using full sized images as never has anyone wanted to look at 100% views and you can store a lot more images too.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 12:58:32 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 12:01:28 pm »

I use the photo app for my iPhone/iPad and if I want to get fancy, then iPhone on the iPad.

I prepare my master files in Photoshop and when I have a collection, I run Image Processor Pro II script to flatten and pare the files down to 2400 px high-quality jpeg files.

With a folder full of images, I drag it to iPhoto and then create an album in the order I wish.

When I sync my iPad and iPhone, it's just a matter of checking a box during syncing to get the album on your device.

Simple is good since I believe the images should stand out. Having bells and whistles, fancy transitions, etc., simply detracts from the visual appeal, IMO.

With the photo app on either device, the interface and presentation is simple. I use the iPad for one-to-one and small group presentations and then hook it up to my projector for larger groups and talks. Some people even like Keynote for this, but that's another program to download and learn...
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up