Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Nikon Super Coolscan 4000  (Read 1953 times)

DanPatrick

Old Nikon Super Coolscan 4000
« on: October 24, 2014, 02:20:59 pm »

I have a SCSI Nikon Super Coolscan 4000, which has seen several periods of moderate use, i.e. some 250-300 scans over the years.  Twice I had to send it back to Nikon to fix at about $300 a pop.  Used it last in February of this year after figuring out how to do it with VueScan on my new Windows 7 64-bit system.  Now it doesn't work again. VueScan doesn't see it, nor does the system.  Funny, if I turn on the scanner first, it makes all the right noises and light activities, ending with a steady green power light - the way it always did when properly working.  If the computer is on before I turn on the scanner, the scanner makes no noise and the blinking green light just stays on.  Either way, though, the computer and software don't see it.

I know this is a shot in the dark, but I'm desperate.  Is there anyone out there who has experience with the Nikon scanners or knows of a person or place that repairs them?  Nikon no longer supports their scanners.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Old Nikon Super Coolscan 4000
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 02:31:40 pm »

This sounds more like a communication problem between the software and the scanner, not necessarily a scanner defect. Have you updated Vuescan to the latest available version for your operating system? (Thinking perhaps a driver problem.) Perhaps try uninstalling the scanner and the software, and re-installing with latest versions to see whether that helps. The last time I checked with Nikon Canada they said they still repair their scanners. I don't know what country you are writing from - best check the internet for service, starting with a Nikon service center in the country where you would send it.

The other thing you may wish to try is to download a 30-day free trial of SilverFast8 just to see whether it will connect with your scanner and computer. If it does, you will have isolated the problem to Vuescan. If it does not, then there is likely another kind of connectivity or scanner issue.

And one more thing - is the USB connected directly to a USB port on the computer? IF you are connecting through a USB hub, often there will be no connectivity or unstable connectivity.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 02:36:47 pm by Mark D Segal »
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 04:06:15 pm »

When using SCSI devices, they must be powered on prior to the computer so that the SCSI adapter can scan the bus and find the device.

In case of trouble, first check the termination of the bus, the last device needs to be properly terminated, and the SCSI id which shouldn't be 7 though in most cases the adapter itself uses id 7.

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

degrub

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 03:50:02 pm »

First off, the interface is firewire not scsi.

Have you checked the firewire card and cable with another device ?
Is it showing up in the os correctly loaded ?

The scanner was particular about the card used.
If the green light is coming on steady after power up without the pc on, then the scanner has passed all internal startup tests.
The issue is either in the link or the driver loading.
Frank

dpirazzi

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 05:26:22 pm »

Could be a bad firewire cable, or bad firewire port on the computer - these can be checked by trying the scanner on a different computer or buying a new cable. Do you have any other firewire devices and does your computer recognize them?

My Coolscan 4000 stopped being recognized after I loaned it to a friend to scan some slides. It behaved just like you describe.
After much searching I sent it to Alex Ketzner, he cleaned the mirror and lens, and tested the scanner and verified the firewire port was not functioning. He then replaced the mainboard (where the firewire i/f is) and sent it back to me, works like new. Actually better since the mirror and lens were dirty.

My cost was ~$500. He fixes alot of these old Nikon Scanners and said this has become a very common repair as of late. Out of caution, I replaced my firewire card and cable, and don't lend out my scanner anymore...

This was about a year ago, his email address is abstudios@centurytel.net.

Good Luck,

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up