Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Want to buy LFP. not sure which one  (Read 1829 times)

Jglaser757

Want to buy LFP. not sure which one
« on: October 23, 2014, 03:22:44 pm »

I am looking at the Epson 9890 or 9900 or the canon ipf8400.

Any advice or insight would really be appreciated.

Also can you print to metal on any of these?

Griffin86

Re: Want to buy LFP. not sure which one
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 12:27:17 pm »

I have an IPF8400, bought it last summer, and love it. Canon's print plugin is not the nicest to work with though, a bit quirky at times.

I use mine 95% for canvas, I did buy some Chromaroll aluminum to print on. Quite frankly it isn't that nice, there is a new one out but I don't want to try it.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 02:00:13 pm »

What will you be mostly printing and printing on?  Both brands do a great job with quality.  Canon iPF8400 comes with a full set of 330ml ink and the Epson's are a starter set of 110ml ink.  And Canon has many nice feature plug-ins that Epson doesn't provide.  If you're interested in something to help determine the cost of a print to a customer, Canon has a software called Accounting Software that will print out all information for the printer (ink usage and sq/ft printed).

But, it's really up to the person using the printer.  Both brands have their advantages and disadvantages.

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 10:11:47 pm »

The Epsons may be fine if you like pulling your hair out.  My Canon iPF8300 just keeps printing -- very nicely.  I use 24" and 36" rolls, and cut sheets in any size from letter-size up.  Even single 8-1/2 by 11" sheets are easy and quick to load.  I don't use the Canon Print PlugIn; I print straight from Photoshop -- works like a charm.  I think the only downside to the Canon is that you can't at some point use it for the Jon Cone carbon pigment inks.  Check old posts on printer choice, and you'll see a lot of posters swearing by (not at) their Canon large-format printers. --Barbara Armstrong

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 01:53:39 am »

I've been using Canon 6100/6300 for a number of years and they are excellent printers.  I mostly use paper.

Jim

stevebri

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 01:07:28 pm »

This is a tough call,

My experience is that I bought a near new epson 7800 from a guy who was tearing his hair out with it.
For me the 7800 has performed flawlessly, it left my place in Brooklyn, via container to London and I just plugged it in and off it went.

Some pointers:
I print mostly on IGFS or now the Canson Baryta Photographique
I print through Lightroom/ epson driver
I print 24" rolls, large sheets down to a4
I use epson inks only
I don't print all the time
The printer is always on
The office temperature is stable all year round.

I love working with this printer, the epson driver is dated now but keep it simple is a good method of working.

I have seen in these forums that the later 7880/9880 printers clog more, mine 'never' clogs and seldom needs a quick clean.

One little thing I like is that you can buy a chip re setter and replace the contents of the ink waste tank yourself, it's definitely not nice chucking away a solid plastic box that can easily be used many times.

Hope this helps.

S

BillK

• http://
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 05:22:00 pm »

I have both a Epson 7900 and a Canon IPF 8300. The canon is a far more user friendly experience in my opinion.

Jglaser757

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 06:43:53 pm »

In the last week I have read countless websites and reviews of the epson and canon printers, I narrowed it down to the epson 9900 or the ipf8400 from canon. As others have stated they each have their positive and negatives.

But I am leaning towards the Canon. My reasoning below:

1)Issues  with clogs on Epson and  cleaning them and repair costs involved with that.
2)Initial start-up costs. Epson comes with inks but a large portion are used for "charging" the system. Which means another cost for new inks($$$$). The Canon comes with a larger initial supply of inks.
3)Cost to repair and replace the head. On a Canon, it is a do-it yourself project and less expensive.
4)"Canon Service" will come out to set up the printer at no cost.etc,,Not sure about the epson.
5)12 colors as opposed to 11 colors, And I do a lot of BW photography.
6)"ease of use" described by others.
7)Downside is that I cannot print on thicker materials.
8)Another negative is that "Image Print" does not make a RIP for the Canon, at least I cant find one.
9)I like the idea of using a printer that is under-rated compared to the Epson. And "below the Radar."
10) From what I have read , the epson waists a lot of ink and leaves a considerable amount in the cartridge.
11)Even though one of my local mentors vehemently recommending against the Canon it just feels like the right decision.

Any other issues I am forgetting?

artobest

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 01:06:27 pm »

Any other issues I am forgetting?

The issue of HP Z3200ps printers perhaps?
Pages: [1]   Go Up