Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop color space question-new monitor  (Read 3491 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

Photoshop color space question-new monitor
« on: October 23, 2014, 03:16:07 pm »

Hi all:
I recently replaced my monitor with an ASUS Pro Art. This monitor allows selecting Adobe RGB mode, and supposedly is factory calibrated (I think it came with an inspection certificate certifying Adobe RGB mode accuracy). I calibrate/profile my monitor with a Spyder 3. I find this hardware/software easy to use, and straight forward. My question is: Up to now I have been using Prophoto RGB in Photoshop. Should I now change this to what I used to use, namely Adobe RGB, so they match? I am a novice in Color Mgt, but have been fortunate in achieving prints that match my monitor.
Thanks in advance, this site has helped me enormously.
Dave in NJ

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Photoshop color space question-new monitor
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 03:32:41 pm »

... My question is: Up to now I have been using Prophoto RGB in Photoshop. Should I now change this to what I used to use, namely Adobe RGB, so they match?...

No. You should continue to use the larger space (Prophoto RGB) while editing in PS, and then export to a different space when done: sRGB for web (and print labs that insist on it) and paper-specific for home printing.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 03:33:38 pm »

Hi all:
 This monitor allows selecting Adobe RGB mode, and supposedly is factory calibrated (I think it came with an inspection certificate certifying Adobe RGB mode accuracy)......Should I now change this to what I used to use, namely Adobe RGB, so they match? I am a novice in Color Mgt, but have been fortunate in achieving prints that match my monitor.

The answer to your question is, unsatisfying, it all depends. If you have a good printer, and want to be able to use its entire gamut, stay in PPRGB. If you weren't having problems with colors that were in the PPRGB gamut and not in your printer gamut, making your monitor gamut bigger like you just did will make things better in that regard, not worse.

OTOH, if the reason you went for a big gamut monitor was that you were having difficulties that stemmed from not being about to see on your monitor all the colors in your image, that situation will improve but not resolve if you stay with PPRGB as your working space.

In the absence of a compelling reason to switch, I'd suggest staying in PPRGB.

We have a resident color management expert, Andrew Rodney, and he'll probably chime in here. He's good. Listen to him; I'm just a reformed color scientist.

Jim

Torbjörn Tapani

Re:
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 04:08:54 pm »

The Adobe RGB mode might be factory calibrated but you can select native color space for the monitor and calibrate with your Spyder.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 01:09:58 pm »

Thanks all for your help. I use Epson 3800 and 7890 printers and let Photoshop manage color via the Paper Manufacturer's canned profiles. Works fine for me. Also, as stated above, I should probably switch the image in question to sRGB before posting on my web site or to the internet. Where in Photoshop do I change a single low res jpg to sRGB before posting, without changing Photoshop's color space? Thanks again
Dave

howardm

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 01:20:55 pm »

probably the easiest way is to do a Save for Web under File and embed the profile (obviously give it a different name for saving)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 03:18:17 pm »

... Where in Photoshop do I change a single low res jpg to sRGB before posting, without changing Photoshop's color space?...

File > Save for Web:

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 03:32:24 pm »

Thanks again guys
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up