Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to trigger Profoto D1/B1 Air strobes from Hassy 503cw?  (Read 8464 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
How to trigger Profoto D1/B1 Air strobes from Hassy 503cw?
« on: October 23, 2014, 08:33:24 am »

Team,

A very basic question, and I am sure there is an obvious answer, but what is easiest way to trigger Profot D1/B1 air strobes from a good old Hassy 503cw?  I'd love to be able to use the air controller to avoid using any cables... :-X

Thanks.

Cheers,
Bernard

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:35:06 am by BernardLanguillier »

synn

• My fine art portfolio
Re: How to trigger Profoto D1/B1 Air strobes from Hassy 503cw?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 09:05:18 am »

Not very familiar with hassy gear, but the winder grips come with hot shoes, don't they?
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 10:18:23 pm »

Not very familiar with hassy gear, but the winder grips come with hot shoes, don't they?

Thanks. It seems the winder does in fact not include a cold shoe.

There is a grip that does and there is also a side accessory that seems available on eBay.

Then I guess I just need to connect the lens with the Profoto Air Remote with a flash cable.

Cheers,
Bernard

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 10:32:42 pm »

That's a pity. My bronica etrsi motor winder has a hot shoe, which is how I use it with flashes.
Pc socket is definitely an option, but it's a pain in the ass compared to hot shoes.

my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 01:07:20 am »

Hi,

The PM-5 finder I have has a cold shoe. I guess quite a few prism finders have that.

Best regards
Erik

Thanks. It seems the winder does in fact not include a cold shoe.

There is a grip that does and there is also a side accessory that seems available on eBay.

Then I guess I just need to connect the lens with the Profoto Air Remote with a flash cable.

Cheers,
Bernard

Erik Kaffehr

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 02:23:29 am »

Hi,

The PM-5 finder I have has a cold shoe. I guess quite a few prism finders have that.

Thanks Erik,

For now I don't intend to use a viewfinder. the view from the top experience is the main reason why I have selected the 503cw. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 03:05:10 am »

There are coldshoes that can be mounted on the body (eg. the tripod/quickrelease mounting point). Insert an air module that you hook up to the sync port of the body and the in-port of the air module. IMO that would be one of the handiest ways.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 05:00:28 am »

There are coldshoes that can be mounted on the body (eg. the tripod/quickrelease mounting point). Insert an air module that you hook up to the sync port of the body and the in-port of the air module. IMO that would be one of the handiest ways.

Thanks, that's also the conclusion I have reached! I have ordered a side accessory rail cold shoe on ebay.

Appreciated.

Cheers,
Bernard

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 03:21:37 am »

What cable did you use to sync from the lens to the air remote

Chris Livsey

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 09:06:16 am »

As only the late E series lenses had electrical connections and only the 200 series body had matching connections and AFAIK no accessory winders or finders ever had a hot shoe you are down to a cable connection.
The databus connection, again AFAIK, does not carry the flash sync signal anyway as with the E lens and the CF adapter combination the PC cable is still required for flash sync on the H body.

If you use a cold shoe and cable some triggers, not an expert but ISTR that PW do for example, short out on a cold shoe, I would ask/test first, oops see you ordered one. You can run PC to an external hotshoe but the cold you have ordered may work.
Good luck.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 12:48:39 pm »

I did something similar to this recently, as I needed to fire the D1 using a Toyo 45A. Now the Toyo comes with a cold shoe, so I placed the Air remote there connected to the lens via cable, the D1, however, did not fire. After many attempts I took the Air remote off the cold shoe and it started working, no idea why  ???

As my post above for the PW the cold shoe shorts out the device.

Conner999

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 08:21:35 am »

Impact make a self-adhesive non-conductive coldshoe. They're the same units Profoto used to (or still does?) sell with the AiR unit. We use them all over on packs, etc., for holding PWs and AiRs. Nice strong adhesive.  Can also be secured with small zip ties, etc through the slots on sides.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/613979-REG/Impact_9031540_Adhesive_Backed_Accessory_Shoe_2_Pack.html

LenR

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2016, 09:47:15 am »

Connect your flash or other device that will trigger your flash to the sync contact on your lens.
If you want a rotating cold shoe to mount something to the body Hassie makes one that slides on the the left side of the body where you'll see a mount forward of the strap lug.  See attached crappy cellphone shots.
Hope this helps.

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 09:54:56 am »

This is what I ordered from B&H. I am hoping that I can plug this into the lens and sit my Profoto Air Remote on it and trigger the B1 heads that way. If you think this will work I will get the Hasselblad cold shoe that you have in your picture as well.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1130423-REG/impact_scs_mpc_male_pc_to.html

LenR

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2016, 10:18:41 am »

That should work if it's not a POS.
I frequently ,use Velcro (the regular and that plastic heavy duty version) to attach doodads to my stuff. 
When I'm using infrared triggers I can quickly mount them where needed.
Also as my gear has aged over the last 40 years plastic feet for hot/cold shoes have broken and stuff like fun tak and Velcro comes in very handy. 
The previous generation used spit and bubblegum wrappers to hold things together!
Cheers

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2016, 10:27:50 am »

That should work if it's not a POS.
I frequently ,use Velcro (the regular and that plastic heavy duty version) to attach doodads to my stuff. 
When I'm using infrared triggers I can quickly mount them where needed.
Also as my gear has aged over the last 40 years plastic feet for hot/cold shoes have broken and stuff like fun tak and Velcro comes in very handy. 
The previous generation used spit and bubblegum wrappers to hold things together!
Cheers
Sorry what POS

Chris Livsey

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2016, 11:11:06 am »

Sorry what POS

P Piece
O of
S waste matter discharged from the bowel of a mammal

matted

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 02:53:50 pm »

Personally I like the Hasselblad 43125 cold shoe adaptor for holding triggers on my 500 C/M. It slides on to the metal Hasselblad model # plate on the left side of the body and sits out of the way of my natural hand position. It rotates, and doesn't require any velcro on the body. Unfortunately it requires a sync cable (PC to 1/8 " mono). I like the quality of the PW branded sync cables but  they are quite long for this application. I got a handful with some Cactus triggers I ordered for backup that work perfectly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up