Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio remote speedlite triggers: What do I need for two flashes + camera?  (Read 4679 times)

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
Re: Radio remote speedlite triggers: What do I need for two flashes + camera?
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 08:44:52 pm »

Hello,

All these images where taken using Nikon SB900 flash units and Pocket Wizards MiniTT1-Nikon, FlexTT5-Nikon and AC3 Zone Controller.

Having this system is amazing as it is total controllable from the camera plus you can flash sync up to 8000th of a sec.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

NancyP

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 01:30:09 pm »

From the standpoint of reliability and operability, how advisable is it to buy a used flash head (Canon 580 EX II or 430 EX II or even 270 EX II)? My local camera store  has some used ones at a good price, and I would buy one if it weren't likely to fail. I have bought several great  used lenses from them, but never a flash, and I don't know much about the expected working lifetime of a flash.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 02:53:04 pm »

From the standpoint of reliability and operability, how advisable is it to buy a used flash head (Canon 580 EX II or 430 EX II or even 270 EX II)? My local camera store  has some used ones at a good price, and I would buy one if it weren't likely to fail. I have bought several great  used lenses from them, but never a flash, and I don't know much about the expected working lifetime of a flash.

I guess it boils down to how much use the flash received (and why it was returned). The flash tube and capacitor have a defined life = number of flashes, neither of which are easily assessed. So, buying a used flash is a bit more risky than buying a used lens or camera body, but that's just my opinion.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

NancyP

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 05:00:12 pm »

Thanks. That's what I thought. Canon refurbished might be a better deal because their refurbished items tend to be "open box" brand new returns checked over by a tech. Yongnuo manual flashes and triggers are so cheap, some people complain, some people think these are fine.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 05:41:07 pm »

I've used a Yongnuo 565EX for over a year, and just bought two 568EX II's. (I wanted HSS for outdoor work, hence the 568s.) I've used the 565 quite a bit and never had a problem with it. However, the manual is a bit difficult to understand. Just my opinion, but I think Yongnuo makes a decent flash at a decent price. They're not Canon, but good enough for what I do at the moment.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

ccroft

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 10:22:29 pm »

Used flashes: I've bought 7 or 8 Nikon SB80's. None have ever failed. They stopped making these around 10 years ago. A lot of flashes get very little use, and a good one apparently has quite a long life-span. I'd say if it looks pretty much as good as new then it probably is. If it's scratched and banged it's still worth a shot, since flashes that look abused sell for a lot less. As you can tell, my strategy has been to buy many and rotate them, but occasionally I need all of them.

Triggers? I really like RadioPopper Juniors. The new controller is especially nice. There definitely have been some great improvements over the last few years when it comes to remote manual control.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up