Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio remote speedlite triggers: What do I need for two flashes + camera?  (Read 4680 times)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography

I want to put together a wishlist to buy remote radio triggers to fire two speedlites from my Canon 7D. I've been looking at Pocketwizards, but I'm confused about what I minimally need. As I see it, I need a transmitter (for the 7D's hotshoe) and two receivers, one for each speedlite. Ideally, I'd like to be able to control each speedlite remotely and be able to change from TTL to manual mode, as well as adjust flash levels in manual mode. At present, I'm not using flash groups.

The best I can understand, for what I require the minimum would be a MiniTT1 and two FlexTT5's. Would someone let me know if that's right? Will this combo allow hands-free control of each flash's power? Also, what advantage would I get if I upgraded to a PlusIII transceiver?

Any thoughts you may have or suggestions for alternatives remote flash triggers are appreciated. Thank you,

Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

synn

• My fine art portfolio

Depends on your shooting style. If your subject-to-light distance does not change from shot to shot, TTL is unnecessary and frankly, a pain. Manual may seem confusing at first, but it will pay off much better in the long term.

TTL has its place, mostly in event style shooting. But in a controlled scenario, manual will prove to be more predictable. PW plus x is all you need for this. Rock solid and will last eons .

Plus iii is manual only as well, but will allow you to use groups and selectively trigger. It is also a bit more hungry on the batteries. I use a mix of both for my work, depending on the scene.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Conner999

If you decide to go just basic manual, there are a number of inexpensive radio triggers with good reps. The PW Plus X units and older PWII units (avail used) are less costly with solid reps.  There are a raft of others as well.

If you want trigger, manual remote power control you could look at RadioPopper and if TTL as well, there are the PW minis (mixed rep) and kits from folks like Phottix with more players coming out with systems all the time.

Regardless of which way you go - I want to STRESS the reputation part. You want units that trigger every time, all the time.  Few things more frustrating than having radio units that have minds of their own, because it's almost a certainty they'll have a fit just when you get that perfect shot in the VF.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com

The Pocket Wizard TTL radios will work both in manual and TTL mode -- and with the AC3 you can control the manual flash output from the camera position, which is handy. The AC3 will give you three groups which can be controlled independently, manual or TTL or a mix. Of course you need a pair of recent Canon TTL speedlights.

A Mini TT1 and two Flex TT5 units will work. You can also use a Flex TT5 for the transmitter, and it uses 2 AA batteries, which I always have in my bag, rather than button cells, which I can never find when they die. :)

The Canon TTL system is funky and not always consistent, but in quick moving situations it can work pretty well.

Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Bob_B

• It's all about light

Thanks for the suggestions and comments. Right now, I am looking at either the PW system (1 mini TT1 plus 2 Flex TT5s maybe an AC3), the Phottix Odin system for two speedlites, or the Yongnuo YN-622C approach (maybe with their controller [forgot the model #]). Big range in prices here, and money is a concern, but so is reliability and ease of use. Luckily, I have some time to gather more information and evaluate my needs before purchase.

I hope more people will offer their opinions and suggestions.

Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au

From DPREVIEW

New Flash and Wireless Flash Control. The 7D is the first Canon EOS to come with an Integrated Speedlite Transmitter. The system allows to control up to three groups of four flashes each. With 15mm the built-in flash features wider flash coverage than previous models. Its guide number is 12/39 (ISO 100, in meters/feet).

Check your manual before you spend money.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Bob_B

• It's all about light

From DPREVIEW

New Flash and Wireless Flash Control. The 7D is the first Canon EOS to come with an Integrated Speedlite Transmitter. The system allows to control up to three groups of four flashes each. With 15mm the built-in flash features wider flash coverage than previous models. Its guide number is 12/39 (ISO 100, in meters/feet).

Check your manual before you spend money.

Cheers,

Thanks. I assume you're referring to the built-in IR transmitter, which is certainly on the 7D. If so, it's use is rather limited.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

synn

• My fine art portfolio

No, using the on camera flash to control the speedlights like the Nikons.
I have never found this to be reliable in the field, FWIW.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au

Just giving an option that can be tried out and doesn't cost a penny to do it

More info on the Canon transmitter here.

The Strobist website is a great place to find info on this topic.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/

After looking around a while for a non-ttl radio trigger solution I opted for a Phottix Ares transmitter and two receivers that I am very happy with. The soild build quality was better than I had expected and I have had no problems with reliability even while photographing in quite challenging environments. I think they are smaller and cheaper than the more well known Pocketwizards and I also like how they run off easily available AA batteries. But others may have different experiences?

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Re: Radio remote speedlite triggers: What do I need for two flashes + camera?
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 06:44:35 am »

I'm not clear on whether you already have the speedlights.

If not, the new 600EX-RT speedlights are pretty awesome. They use built-in radio instead of infrared for TTL and manual settings. The little transmitter sits on top of the camera. It's not a cheap kit, but it's less expensive than a Canon speedlight + a Pocket Wizard.

There are some restrictions on using them with older cameras, though.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

sharperstill

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 08:33:28 am »

I sold my PW TT5s as they didn't play nice with my Canon 580EXII flashes.
I bought the Phottix Odin system and it has been flawless.

J

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 08:40:03 am »

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your replies. Currently, I own a Yongnuo 565EX speedlite. For better or worse, it works for me, and I will probably be buying another Yongnuo 568EX II in the near future. I am a Canon person (have been since 1974), and truly like the Canon speedlites, but they're simply too pricey.

I've used the 7D's built-in wireless flash system for the last couple of years with my 565EX and a couple of borrowed Canon speedlites. It works okay, but it is limited to line of sight. If you want to place a speedlite behind your subject or behind another object, you run into the limitations of that approach. It is for this reason that I am looking for a radio transmitter system.

At present, I'm leaning towards the Yongnuo YN-622C approach. Their reliability is a bit of a concern, but I don't do 'mission critical' photography, i.e., it's not my day job, so I can sacrifice that to save money. One thing in Yongnuo's favor imho is that they are transceivers, which means if one dies you don't lose everything, as might be the case for a dedicated transmitter-receiver approach, such as Phottix Odin's system.

As I initially said, I have time to think about this, so please continue to offer your opinions and suggestions. Thanks again.

Bob
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 06:39:21 pm by Bob_B »
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 11:02:17 am »

As I initially said, I have time to think about this, so please continue to offer your opinions and suggestions. Thanks again.

you probably saw these 2 good review sites :

lightingrumours.com
    flashhavoc.com

specifically if you are looking for 3rd party solutions

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 12:08:02 pm »

lightingrumours.com
    flashhavoc.com

+1

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 04:21:21 pm »

lightingrumours.com
    flashhavoc.com

I had not seen either. Thank you very much!

Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 05:15:17 pm »

The technology in all of these systems hasn't changed over the past few years so searching http://www.robgalbraith.com for some real world, mission critical testing is worth your time.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 05:01:08 pm »

FWIW:

After much consideration over costs and my needs, I went with three Yongnuo YN622C's and a YN622C-TX. The YN622C's are on my three flashes, while the YN622C-TX resides on my 7D's hotshoe. I've used these indoors on three occasions and have had no issues with placement of the speedlites (including in positions that are out of the line-of-sight).

Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

NancyP

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 05:49:31 pm »

I have a 60D with built-in pop-up flash and the ability to control external wireless Canon speedlights, same as 7D classic. It works. One has to remember to put the slave flash sensor/AF assist panel toward the camera and have line-of-sight between camera flash and slave flash. Radio transmitters look like a better bet for a lot of situations. I am looking into radio transmitters and receivers and additional flash unit myself. The high-end ability to control flash intensity from the camera - that's really appealing. So is remote shutter triggering via radio.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 07:44:33 pm »

Hi NancyP: Yes, I've used Canon's built-in wireless on numerous occasions; however the line-of-sight requirement has its limits. I wanted to get around that and have the ability to control the flash output outside of the camera menu, hence the YN622 path. If I had the bucks, I would probably opted for Photix Odin radio controllers. Maybe in the future.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up