Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tripod or monopod in cathedrals:Gloucester,Winchester,Salisbury,Exeter,Wells,etc  (Read 3445 times)

EinstStein

Can I use tripod or monopod in these cathedrals?
Also, what about Gopro during the service?

john beardsworth

• My photography site

Generally you are free to use a tripod if you pay a small charge for a photographer's pass - I think I paid £3 at Wells recently, and something similar at Ely last year.

No idea about the GoPro, but I don't imagine there are any special rules.

PhotoEcosse

Google is your friend:

http://www.winchester-cathedral.org.uk/about-us/filming-and-photography/

I just tried the one but presume the others will have similar websites that will give you contact details through which you can enquire. Don't assume that all cathedrals have the same rules and regulations - better to check each one individually.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

john beardsworth

• My photography site

Don't assume that all cathedrals have the same rules and regulations - better to check each one individually.

I agree, and that's important to say. Even if they do mention photography (eg Wells), cathedral web sites don't say if you can use tripods (does Winchester?), so you'll have to read comments in Flickr groups or peoples' blogs to see that, in general, they do. My recent experience has been that all English cathedrals (except St Pauls) operate quite similar schemes. Some just allow tripods anyway, but most seem to ask you to pay a small charge.

EinstStein

I've visited Wells, I paid a lot more than asked for the camera. I always worried that good things are disappearing in this world. Thinking how hard to maintain such good architectures, I'm willing to give my little support.
And I also hope they do encourage photography, as long as it does not bother other people and the structure. After all, why not let more people to appreciate their marvelous stuffs.

joneil

• This is what beer does to you....

Not sure about those sites, never been there.  But I can tell you that for some other historic church and related sites, make sure that either your tripod or monopod has rubber feet, or if dual purpose feet, make sure the rubber is down, not the metal spikes.   

Regardless if it is a 300 year old wood floor, or a restored marble floor only 20 years old, I can tell you with certianty that using a tripod or monopod with a metal spike sure ain't gonna make you any friends.  So just be safe and gentle.   For the record, collectively from several clery of various faiths I know and several museum administraitor friends of mine, a collective "thank you" in advance for doing so.
:)

mshea

I visited Wells last January in the early morning, asked one of the rectors walking by if using a tripod was OK, and he said no problem. No mention of a fee. Perhaps if I'd asked at the admission booth the answer might have been different. It being January, off-season and relatively few people in the building, maybe they were more lenient.

Merrill

john beardsworth

• My photography site

Same happened to me in August, but the rector told me about the fee. If you go in there early, you don't see the photo pass ticket machine in the main entrance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up