Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drive from San Francisco to Vancouver  (Read 7233 times)

cottagehunter

Drive from San Francisco to Vancouver
« on: October 22, 2014, 07:53:27 am »

We are thinking of a trip from San Fran to Vancouver and beyond. Are considering May-early June or mid june - mid July we will probably rent houses or apartments for 3-5 days at different locations along the way.
I am looking for ideas of where to go and where to stay (location) to do this right as this will probably be last trip west (age).

Thanks for any ideas
Pierre / cottagehunter

BradSmith

Re: Drive from San Francisco to Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 07:43:39 pm »

I'd suggest a stopover in Bandon Oregon.  I did a 4 day workshop there and thoroughly enjoyed the area.  Key locations I visited from there were Bandon Beach itself with seastacks and huge wide flat beach (best at sunset); Shore Acres State Park just south of town for waves crashing into the cliffs, strange eroded rock formations and misty photos of a beautiful botanical garden area(early and late were both good).  Finally, a few miles north of Bandon are wonderful sand dunes with pretty easy access from Rte 1 (excellent at sunrise, didn't see it at sunset).   

Brad Smith

mlewis

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 05:46:25 am »

You should visit the Redwoods in northern California.  There are several state parks with the trees.

telyt

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 11:46:08 am »

Travel on US 101 will be a little slower and much more interesting once you leave the bay area, vs. I-5 which is fast and mostly boring.

Michael West

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 09:23:15 pm »

Travel on US 101 will be a little slower and much more interesting once you leave the bay area, vs. I-5 which is fast and mostly boring.

Highway 1. where its available.  is even slower and more interesting for my money.

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 11:11:15 pm »

Silver Falls State Park in Oregon is a gem.  If you head up the Olympic Peninsula check out the Hoh Forest.  This has the benefit of missing the Seattle traffic zoo, as you can take the ferry to Victoria.  From Vancouver Island you can then take another ferry to Vancouver.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 11:01:08 am »

Silver Falls State Park in Oregon is a gem.  If you head up the Olympic Peninsula check out the Hoh Forest.  This has the benefit of missing the Seattle traffic zoo, as you can take the ferry to Victoria.  From Vancouver Island you can then take another ferry to Vancouver.

If you decide to use this suggestion of the Port Angeles - Victoria ferry for one way and the main road for the other way, I suggest doing the island hop on your return journey. The US Customs and Immigration wallahs tend to be more polite that way round.

Incidentally, the Whistler/Blackcomb area used to be completely dead and closed-up outwith the snow sports season. I haven't been back in the last 20 years or so, but I believe that it has changed considerably and is now quite interesting in summer. Probably worth heading up there if you want some mountain landscape opportunities.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Isaac

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 12:20:36 pm »

I am looking for ideas of where to go…

Zig-zag from National Park to National Park -- Yosemite, Lassen Volcanic, Lava Beds, Redwood, Crater Lake, Olympic…

In between, some of the places described in an old copy of "The Smithsonian Guide to Historic America: The Pacific States" might be of interest to you.

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 03:46:14 pm »

Stop at Oregon Caves National Monument in Cave City OR http://www.nps.gov/orca/index.htm. Stay at Historic Oregon Caves Chateau

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 08:00:16 pm »

and listen to "Do You Know The Way To San Jose" while en route, nice music  :)

dreed

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 09:52:42 am »

Since you'll be driving San Francisco to Vancourver in May-July, I'd recommend not taking the coastal road (Highway 1) due to the ocean fog that can swamp the coastline during the warmer months - especially during the afternoon/evening as the inland heats up and draws the cool ocean air in.

If the weather is kind, then sure, go the coast, but you may find 101 better (there are some giant redwood forests around it as you get closer to Canada.)

There is a reason that people banter around a quote attributed to Mark Twain that goes "The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco."

The best months for coastal driving in California are October through to April. Sometimes you can get lucky in early September or a day here or there during May - August but  I tell people never to count on fog free days during that time.

Going over to Yosemite and then going north up the eastern side of the Sierra Nevadas on 395, through Lassen to the 97 and then choose the point you want to cross back over to the other side of the mountains to hit Vancouver - a much safer bet in terms of weather.

Colorado David

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 11:23:05 am »

Be sure to take your gear to a U.S. Customs office and register all the serial numbers before you cross into Canada.  You'll be much happier on your return crossing if you do.

chez

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 04:01:40 pm »

Since you'll be driving San Francisco to Vancourver in May-July, I'd recommend not taking the coastal road (Highway 1) due to the ocean fog that can swamp the coastline during the warmer months - especially during the afternoon/evening as the inland heats up and draws the cool ocean air in.

If the weather is kind, then sure, go the coast, but you may find 101 better (there are some giant redwood forests around it as you get closer to Canada.)

There is a reason that people banter around a quote attributed to Mark Twain that goes "The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco."

The best months for coastal driving in California are October through to April. Sometimes you can get lucky in early September or a day here or there during May - August but  I tell people never to count on fog free days during that time.

Going over to Yosemite and then going north up the eastern side of the Sierra Nevadas on 395, through Lassen to the 97 and then choose the point you want to cross back over to the other side of the mountains to hit Vancouver - a much safer bet in terms of weather.

Rugged coastlines and fog...to dream for. Rainy days and rain forests...heaven. I personally hate shooting on nice clear days...robs all the drama out of the scenes.

dreed

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 06:27:36 am »

Rugged coastlines and fog...to dream for. Rainy days and rain forests...heaven. I personally hate shooting on nice clear days...robs all the drama out of the scenes.

Please, visit California during summer and come back and show us how dreamy and wonderful it is shooting the Californian coastline when it is fogged in.

chez

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 10:20:53 am »

Please, visit California during summer and come back and show us how dreamy and wonderful it is shooting the Californian coastline when it is fogged in.

Never shot the California coast, but I shot the Oregon coast and BC coast when fogged and thoroughly enjoyed both the experience and resulting prints. Like I said, a blue sky photo gets boring very quickly for me. I'd rather have the "character" that fog brings to a photo any day.

Living for a long time in Vancouver...if I waited for a "nice day" to shoot, I would not be shooting from October until June. There truly is beauty in challenging weather.

dreed

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 03:37:47 pm »

Never shot the California coast, but I shot the Oregon coast and BC coast when fogged and thoroughly enjoyed both the experience and resulting prints. Like I said, a blue sky photo gets boring very quickly for me. I'd rather have the "character" that fog brings to a photo any day.

I'd like to see how you've used the combination of bad weather to create more interesting photography. URL?
Pages: [1]   Go Up