Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turn 'Check Disk' off on IQ backs?  (Read 921 times)

narikin

Turn 'Check Disk' off on IQ backs?
« on: October 21, 2014, 02:11:13 pm »

Anyone turned off the 'Check Disk' option in IQ series digital backs?

I use it with 32 or 64gb CF cards, and sometimes the many seconds waiting for it checking disk can mean you miss a shot...
Any reason not to do this, if you are suing dedicated cards already formatted just for the back?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Turn 'Check Disk' off on IQ backs?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 02:48:30 pm »

"Check Disk" does just that. It verifies the CF card inserted is properly formatted, has space remaining, and is responding properly to commands.

If it fails it will give you a very direct warning that there may be an issue with the card, at which point you can change cards until you have time to do more testing (e.g. format that card on a computer, clean the contacts etc).

If you turn "Check Disk" off and the CF card isn't working properly there is a chance the back won't notice it (since you've specifically instructed it NOT to check the disk). In such a worst-case scenario your images may not be correctly written to the card, and you may not even get a warning about it.

The ONLY reason to ever turn off "Check Disk" in my opinion is if you were in the middle of the desert with only one CF card, wanted to take a picture, and the back was warning you the card may have an error. In that case it would make sense to turn off "Check Disk" and accept the risk that the images you're shooting may not record properly, because in this crazy scenario you have only two options [give up] or [turn off "check disk" and accept the implied risk].

If the initialization-read-time on a large card is not suitable for your shooting needs I suggest using smaller cards, which will read much faster, or make sure you're using the latest 3400mAh batteries and turn the back to not power off as quickly when idle (the "check disk" only happens when you are turning the camera on).

narikin

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 03:34:29 pm »

ok, thanks, but... basically I can turn Check Disk off, if I am using a card I know and trust?

it's all very well to say 'use smaller cards', but I often shoot hundreds of images each day on the street, sometimes with great urgency, and need fast startup, so they would fill up very quickly, and I would probably loose shots that way. Disabling 'Check Disk' seems a decent option, for my kind of work  or... to walk around with 4/5 batteries (cost $75+ each) as you say.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 04:29:42 pm »

I do not suggest it for general users, but as you long as you understand the risk you are taking (a card will go bad and you won't know it because you've asked it not to check) then you are completely free to turn Check Disk off.

You may be overestimating the hit to battery life of it not turning off when inactive though. Most of the battery draw is from using the screen, and to a lesser extent, capturing images. When it's not actively capturing an image much of the electronics are asleep (but not off) and doesn't take much battery. This of course assumes you're using Normal Latency mode (on a tech camera you might opt to use Zero latency in which case all the sensor electronics are always on and drawing power).

For instance changing the auto review time to be shorter, and changing the time-before-turning-off to be longer or disabled entirely may well be a net-gain to battery life

I can't tell you for sure what the right balance will be for you, but I'd encourage you to be open to leaving the back on for a test shoot and see how well it lasts for your shooting style.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:34:01 pm by Doug Peterson »

rulle

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 04:09:10 am »

I agree with Doug, there is no real purpose to turn it off. I can advice you to take a look in the manual for your PhaseOne as well: http://captureintegration.com/download/645DFplus_IQ2_User_Guide_1_0.pdf (page 56 and 87). However, if you are alone in the desert and need to... :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up