Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gallery Stretcher 60 or ProMod-8?  (Read 1943 times)

Griffin86

Gallery Stretcher 60 or ProMod-8?
« on: October 21, 2014, 12:33:31 pm »

I am considering buying one of these.  I think the ProMod-8 would be better since it has the mount, stapler and holster included.

I am getting tired of stretching canvas by hand. Epson exhibition canvas is tough to stretch and now I have been coating with Premier Print Shield which makes it even harder to stretch. I bruised my hand trying to stretch a 42x21" print.

I have a 44" printer.

Griffin86

Re: Gallery Stretcher 60 or ProMod-8?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:06:40 am »

My original post was unclear, sorry. Does anyone have experience with either model?

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 03:54:45 pm »

I have the Gallery Stretcher 60 and it has been the perfect tool for us.
The only thing I wish I had purchased is the 3 foot extension you can buy and add on.
Excellent quality for the price.

Griffin86

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 05:10:44 pm »

I have the Gallery Stretcher 60 and it has been the perfect tool for us.
The only thing I wish I had purchased is the 3 foot extension you can buy and add on.
Excellent quality for the price.

Thank you for input!  :)

canvas_john

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 06:13:45 pm »

Has anyone in the UK had any experience with the the stretcher or pro-mod - i have emailed the company for the last couple of weeks with no joy -so a little concerned if we buy from them?

Griffin86

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 11:12:57 pm »

I ended up buying the ProMod -8. I would like to stretch 100 or so canvases before I give a review. But it has been working great so far and I will give an initial impression.

It was very easy to set up. The hoses have coloured tape on them, so you can't screw up. Mounting the universal mounts was easy but the directions were not the best, their video was clearer. Also the mounts could have been drilled different, they are drilled 2" deep so you can't just use a 2x10" to mount it to and the thumbscrew doesn't screw into the gallery stretcher T bar to secure it to the mounts. Dave was great to talk to, they paid for shipping which would have been about $500 CAD.

It doesn't take long to learn how to use it. You just have to be aware of your fingers are at all times. I found if I was feeding the canvas through the bars for it to grab onto, I would sometimes lift my foot off the pedal. Bad idea, I don't want to know what 40 PSI feels like pinching my finger. Also to make sure you leave extra canvas for it to stretch. It needs more than 1.5" past the stretcher bar, it is frustrating if you don't.

The Fasco stapler is ok. When stapling, it requires you to pull back a small safety lever with one finger and pull the trigger with another. Normally not a problem,  but when you are using the stapler pointed up it's really awkward to do. The air needs to be just right to run it, too much and you will punch the staple right through the canvas. Not enough and sometimes it won't staple.

I agree with Dan Berg, the quality is excellent. Give me a few more months and I will make a video or two on it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up