Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3000 Ink Blobs  (Read 1238 times)

RDEdwards

Epson 3000 Ink Blobs
« on: October 21, 2014, 12:04:53 pm »

I am attaching an image that shows the black ink blobs my Epson 3000 has started leaving. I have cleaned head and rollers several times. It usually seems worse in the margins of prints, but sometimes all over like in the attached image.
I have seen this before, but have always managed to clear it up or it just stopped doing this on its own.

Any ideas?

TIA

Durwood Edwards

gerryrobinson

• Gerry Robinson Photography
Re: Epson 3000 Ink Blobs
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 04:02:48 pm »

Hi
I had a similar spots show up on my 2880 printer.
Changing the platen gap setting from standard to wide did the trick for me.
Hope it works for you
Best of luck
Gerry

pluton

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 12:54:43 am »

Same issues here on 3800, and many report same on 3880.
How old is the printer, and how many prints have gone through it?

RDEdwards

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 01:26:20 pm »

Changing the platen gap setting from standard to wide did the trick for me.

Best of luck
Gerry

It made no difference, but THANKS

RDEdwards

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 01:28:27 pm »

How old is the printer, and how many prints have gone through it?

It is 3 years old and I am not sure how many prints I have made, but I doubt if I've reached its limit.

This problem comes and goes. Today I printed about 6 prints, and it was fine, and then it started again.

Durwood

Some Guy

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 02:56:40 pm »

One thing that sort of puzzled me having a Epson print head in my hand was watching an ink bubble form on it out of the blue.  Like it just appeared out of the head all by itself and not hooked up to the printer at all.  Only 1,300 prints so who knows: Air?  Heat?  Funky head?

If a blob remains under there, or to one side due to lint, paper fibers, hair, dust, whatever it can cause problems.  Some of my ink on the side of the retaining shield around the head had a gummy mess of ink that resisted even alcohol, but ink cleaning solution got rid of it.

I did note on mine, where the head's carriage broke loose and was dragging the head over the paper, that paper fibers built up in the little thin frame that holds the head on - right at the union of the frame and head on both sides of that frame piece.  Lots of ink was in those fibers and maybe provides a wick for the blobs to form?  Hopefully the wiper knocks them off.  I had to use a Q-tip and ink cleaning solution to wipe them off in that area.  The stuff is like black Vasoline.

I dunno, but Canon and Epson seems to have differing opinions on their ink firing technologies.  I don't seem to read a lot of Canon ink blob messes over Epson, but could be more Epson issues in forums too.

SG
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 12:03:42 am by Some Guy »
Pages: [1]   Go Up