Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac OS Yosemite and your printer  (Read 7105 times)

MrIconoclast

Mac OS Yosemite and your printer
« on: October 20, 2014, 08:13:47 pm »

I am curious if anybody had installed Yosemite on their Mac and tested their printer with it.

The reason I ask is because my Z3200 started giving me a "driver improperly installed" message when I updated to Mavericks.  Other than this annoying message, the Z3200 works perfectly.   But, it has me a bit worried that updating my Mac to Yosemite will 'break' the Z3200 and/or its drivers.

So, I thought I would be good to share information on the update regardless of what printer is used.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Mac OS Yosemite and your printer
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 09:01:16 pm »

I like this idea because one of the main concerns we would have about OS updates is the compatibility of device drivers. Apple gives vendors a long period of time to update their drivers as needed before OS release, but whether they all do or not one often learns either the hard way or the easy way, depending; so this sharing of information is good.

Regarding printers, I think the first thing to do is go to the manufacturer's website, where they provide support/updates/downloads and see whether any new drivers for the new OS are posted. Secondly, check the Apple website to see whether they have a list of compatible devices somewhere. Third is what you are doing now - asking people for lessons of experience, and 4th is just try it. Best is if you can install the OS first on a separate drive or partition so you can roll back to Mavericks if Yosemite isn't doing it for you.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

pluton

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 11:47:30 pm »

Epson USA site has addressed the need for, and provided, a driver for Yosemite.  Surely HP and Canon have a similar service.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 12:29:07 am »

Currently testing Yosemite on a clone of my startup drive.

Epson’s recommended driver for Yosemite is version  9.17 and was released in July (so maybe during Yosemite public beta?) But I don’t think i’m running that version but the previous version which is working fine - I think it’s version 8.64.

LR, PS CC 2014, and printing to 9900 all working without issues.  Also running yosemite on my laptop and no issues with CaptureOne 8 on that machine or any other software that I’ve seen.

I don’t think there was any real changes to the printer pipeline, from Mavericks.  Not sure why you are getting the annoying message, but surely there’s a fix for that somewhere?

Hopefully someone actually running an HP on Yosemite will confirm compatibility for you.  Or try what I (and others) do, use carbon copy cloner to copy your startup drive, then boot from the clone, and install yosemite on it.  Run from the clone until you’re comfortable, then just clone the yosemite drive back over onto your original startup drive.  Or if you run into problems, just restart using your original startup drive and mavericks.

afterimages

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 09:09:44 am »

Canon is 11.7.1.0 for my MG8220 and PRO-100.

"Canon Inkjet Printer Software Update 3.0" is still waiting in the App Store Updates section. I'm afraid to let it update - might clobber something.

rick

MrIconoclast

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 10:43:17 am »

Thanks. Those are all good suggestions. 

Superduper is making my bootbable backup at this time.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 06:25:00 pm »

...The reason I ask is because my Z3200 started giving me a "driver improperly installed" message when I updated to Mavericks....

Yes i had the same problem... that did not seem too much of a problem..
After i installed 10.9.5 i got a message there were new HP drivers -
The messages did not occur since...
In all cases printing went fine.
cheers PK

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 07:39:24 pm »

My 3880 ran fine with after the OS update without anything further.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

MrIconoclast

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 11:03:21 am »

FWIW, I have installed and tested Yosemite and my Z3200 works well with it.   The message indicating damaged software is gone. 

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 01:38:57 pm »

Canon is 11.7.1.0 for my MG8220 and PRO-100.

"Canon Inkjet Printer Software Update 3.0" is still waiting in the App Store Updates section. I'm afraid to let it update - might clobber something.

rick

Don't use the App Store update but get your driver/s direct from the Canon website.  I have experienced problems after using the Apple sourced drivers.

Garnick

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 08:46:49 am »

Don't use the App Store update but get your driver/s direct from the Canon website.  I have experienced problems after using the Apple sourced drivers.

I can certainly concur with your last sentence Simon.  It's been well known for a few years that the Apple/Epson Software Update can be a disaster when using the pro large format printers.  I assume the same issue applies to the Canon and HP printers, but not sure.  For quite a while I had a large note attached to my display reminding me me to NEVER, under any circumstances, should the Apple printer driver update be installed.  Now that all of the Apple updates are downloaded directly from the App Store, one has to be careful not to simply hit the install button for all of the current updates.  Use the "More" button, which will separate the updates and you can pick and chose the ones you don't want to install.  So the question, when should the Apple Printer Update be installed when using a pro large format printer?  The answer can be summed up in one word -- NEVER!!!!!

Gary    
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 08:48:39 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 09:24:34 am »

I can certainly concur with your last sentence Simon.  It's been well known for a few years that the Apple/Epson Software Update can be a disaster when using the pro large format printers.  I assume the same issue applies to the Canon and HP printers, but not sure.  For quite a while I had a large note attached to my display reminding me me to NEVER, under any circumstances, should the Apple printer driver update be installed.  Now that all of the Apple updates are downloaded directly from the App Store, one has to be careful not to simply hit the install button for all of the current updates.  Use the "More" button, which will separate the updates and you can pick and chose the ones you don't want to install.  So the question, when should the Apple Printer Update be installed when using a pro large format printer?  The answer can be summed up in one word -- NEVER!!!!!

Gary    

I'm beginning to wonder whether this has finally all been sorted out - at least between Apple and Epson. Point being - when I try to update my Epson office printer software through the Epson site, it directs me to Mac updater. When I try to update my Epson professional photographic printer software from the Epson site it does so directly. Therefore, itwould appear that they have settled on a division of access for these updates, series 2.xx being at Mac Updates and series 9.xx being at Epson. So perhaps the real question is whether anything contained in the Epson 2.xx office line implemented through Apple in any way affects the performance of the Epson 9.xx updates for the professional printers. This is perhaps best addressed to Epson. Has anyone reading this done so? I know I haven't. Has anyone reading this experienced RECENT problems using Epson updates implemented through the Mac updater - problems that didn't exist before applying the up-date? It would be good to know for sure whether this is by now a settled matter.

Jglaser757

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 11:56:47 pm »

I just tried printing on a new imac with the 3880 epson..I had to download new driver as per dialogue box. But when printing from LR, I am getting a new 1 inch border around prints instead of the 1/2 inch i was getting from my old 27 inch Mac.

Garnick

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 09:58:37 am »

I'm beginning to wonder whether this has finally all been sorted out - at least between Apple and Epson. Point being - when I try to update my Epson office printer software through the Epson site, it directs me to Mac updater. When I try to update my Epson professional photographic printer software from the Epson site it does so directly. Therefore, it would appear that they have settled on a division of access for these updates, series 2.xx being at Mac Updates and series 9.xx being at Epson. So perhaps the real question is whether anything contained in the Epson 2.xx office line implemented through Apple in any way affects the performance of the Epson 9.xx updates for the professional printers. This is perhaps best addressed to Epson. Has anyone reading this done so? I know I haven't. Has anyone reading this experienced RECENT problems using Epson updates implemented through the Mac updater - problems that didn't exist before applying the up-date? It would be good to know for sure whether this is by now a settled matter.

Hi Mark,

As I recall, the Apple/Epson Software Update only ever addressed desktop printers and scanners and not the large format printers(x900 etc).  I believe initially the main culprit was the different driver versions, desktop vs large format.  If your LFP driver version was not at least the same as or newer than the desktop printer update there was a conflict.  And of course that conflict brought with it major headaches and downtime for those affected.  Luckily I had already read all of the LuLa posts concerning this issue before I upgraded to an Intel Mac Pro and it was simply a matter of ignoring the Apple Printer Update completely.  I have no idea what sort of agreement Apple and Epson may have come to concerning this issue, nor do I care actually.  All I have to be aware of is the fact that the Apple Update should NEVER be installed.

And a PS:  I also have a rather ancient Epson Stylus Photo 1280 printer that I still use occasionally for docs here at work.  It's also being driven from the Mac Pro and I still access the latest drivers for it from the Epson site.  Perhaps the 1280 is not considered as a desktop printer, no sure.

Gary    
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:05:18 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 10:07:52 am »

Hi Mark,

As I recall, the Apple/Epson Software Update only ever addressed desktop printers and scanners and not the large format printers(x900 etc).  I believe initially the main culprit was the different driver versions, desktop vs large format.  If your LFP driver version was not at least the same as or newer than the desktop printer update there was a conflict.  And of course that conflict brought with it major headaches and downtime for those affected.  Luckily I had already read all of the LuLa posts concerning this issue before I upgraded to an Intel Mac Pro and it was simply a matter of ignoring the Apple Printer Update completely.  I have no idea what sort of agreement Apple and Epson may have come to concerning this issue, nor do I care actually.  All I have to be aware of is the fact that the Apple Update should NEVER be installed.

And a PS:  I also have a rather ancient Epson Stylus Photo 1280 printer that I still use occasionally for docs here at work.  It's also being driven from the Mac Pro and I still access the latest drivers for it from the Epson site.  Perhaps the 1280 is not considered as a desktop printer, no sure.

Gary    

Gary, the reason why it's important to know whether this has been sorted out is that as the operating system undergoes updates, (security fixes, various refinements, etc.) some of these changes could affect the manner in which other components work or don't work. That in turn triggers a requirement for the owners of those other components to conform by producing their own updates. If users don't install those updates they could be in for trouble, which is why the updates were offered in the first place. Apple usually gives these third parties a period of time in which to develop their updates before the system updates are published. The main thing users need from these processes is that the updates can be coordinated without causing collateral damage. Rules such as "NEVER install" should not need to exist and can in fact be destructive.

ballyhoo

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 12:09:24 am »

I have the same problem with my Epson Stylus Photo 1280. I should have known as this has happened before. Any work arounds? :'(
Pages: [1]   Go Up