Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any photo related OS X 10.10 Yosemite issues so far?  (Read 12581 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Any photo related OS X 10.10 Yosemite issues so far?
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 01:32:04 pm »

I'll be awaiting Wayne's test of Spectraview on Yosemite.

Sorry I didn’t update this sooner.  No problem using spectraview 1.18 to calibrate a 272w, a 301w, and a 302w display, using both the NEC device and an i1 DisplayPro.

I’ve been on Yosemite for both my 2013 MacPro and 2014 MacBook Pro for several weeks now (both on 10.10.1 now).  No issues.  I think it’s a pretty solid upgrade with some nice features, although there are several annoying things (like how iTunes TV seasons are organized and displayed). 

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:40:43 pm by Wayne Fox »

Manoli

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 01:44:29 pm »

So it seems bad news for anyone with a non Apple SSD that needs trim... like the Samsung ssd's
Apples system gets more and more restricted to their own stuff, supposedly to make things safer... :(

Seeing that the only thing that Samsung and Apple do lately,  is blow Valentine kisses to each other via lawyers in any number of courtrooms - I'm not totally surprised. [/jest]

Certainly Apple have made it 'harder' to retrofit SSDs in some of their macs, but the article sounds as though it's more a case of SoftRAID and Apple needing to talk to each other and get their 'driver act' together, rather than any conspiracy - preventing mods to kernel extensions isn't unreasonable, and doesn't 'de facto' limit compatibility - after all OWC SSD's are still compatible - they just don't NEED trim ..

Can't remember how far back,  but TRIM hasn't been supported for (3rd Party) SSDs  since at least Mountain Lion.

Manoli

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 02:58:52 pm »

There is also a bug where you don't always see the number of emails in each folder (apparently a known bug after using smart mail boxes or something). In the last OS, I could see the number of emails in each folder, now it's gone. Another step backwards for Apple.

Andrew,
Are you referring to 'unread' emails or total emails ? I've used apple mail since Lion and I've never seen ( or had an option to see) the total email count in each folder. Unread emails show as before.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 03:25:18 pm »

Andrew,
Are you referring to 'unread' emails or total emails ? I've used apple mail since Lion and I've never seen ( or had an option to see) the total email count in each folder. Unread emails show as before.
Both.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 04:33:45 pm »

Can't remember how far back,  but TRIM hasn't been supported for (3rd Party) SSDs  since at least Mountain Lion...

That is true, but one could use third party applications to enable TRIM. (as i did on a mac with a Samsung EVO SSD)
From what i read that is now made impossible- your kext is not recognized as original with the result you have a non bootable SSD.
If this is true a lot of mac users on 10.10 will face a problem being not able to TRIM their SSD... or being not able to startup after using the third party tool to enable TRIM.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Manoli

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 08:48:21 pm »

If this is true a lot of mac users on 10.10 will face a problem being not able to TRIM their SSD... or being not able to startup after using the third party tool to enable TRIM.

The TRIM Enabler hack app, I think you're referring to, is/was hotly debated and it's reliability contested. See this  OWC blog post “ To TRIM or not to TRIM “  and ongoing comment thread . 3 years and counting ..)

I've followed this debate on and off - it's simply put:  TRIM is a SATA-only command.  SSD's attached via PCIe, USB 3.0, FireWire, or Thunderbolt wouldn't be recognised as SSD's – they're seen as 'disks'  - try and run the TRIM command on them and you're risking trouble.  OWC SSD's (or similar) having their own (Sandforce) controller, do their own garbage-collection and optimization, aren't OS dependent and don't need the TRIM command.  

I've seen nothing yet that indicates that you can't use the OWC SSDs as a boot disk.  So, yes some mac users will face a problem, but it's not because of the OS - only. Don't think Samsung will sit quietly and watch their sales decline, they and others will need to follow OWC if they haven't done so already.

francois

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2014, 05:10:44 am »

That is true, but one could use third party applications to enable TRIM. (as i did on a mac with a Samsung EVO SSD)
From what i read that is now made impossible- your kext is not recognized as original with the result you have a non bootable SSD.

You can use AngelBird SSDs. They support TRIM in Mac OS X - but with a trick.
Francois

DougHerrick

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 10:22:29 pm »

Updating system software is like opening a box of chocolates, you never know what you'll find. I have been experiencing tremendous printing problems as a result of updating to Yosemite. When I print I get the full length of my image, but, only about a third of the horizontal. I'm At my wits end with all the options I've tried. Can I go back to Mavericks?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 03:44:45 pm »

There was little changed ( if any) to the printing pipeline between Mavericks and Yosemite.  I have at least 20 customers with Epson printers with no issues.

Not sure the cause of your problem, can you describe it a little more in detail and summary of what you've tried?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up